Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thompson
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fell in love with board games again after discovering Ticket to Ride on my iPad a few years ago, and could not stop playing it for months. I then bought the board game and it seemed to move at a glacial pace, not nearly as fun. I've since moved on to medium-ish games, and am wondering if any other apps are better than the original games.

The Galaxy Trucker app is phenomenal, and I can't imagine the original game being better.

Ticket to Ride

Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arguably the Ascension app. It keeps track of all the special abilities for you and does all the tedious shuffling, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Sentinels of the Multiverse for the same reasons Bryan gave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Arguably the Ascension app. It keeps track of all the special abilities for you and does all the tedious shuffling, etc.

Yes! So much this! Having been incredibly spoiled by the app, I would never want to play the dead-tree version of Ascension again. In fact, most deck-building type games that require constant shuffling and/or remembering chains of special ability combos do really well as apps.

Personally, Magic: The Gathering is another one. Being able to build decks digitally and having the app adjudicate various rules interactions really helps it.

I also find that the apps for Lords of Waterdeep and Galaxy Trucker pretty much fired the physical games for me as well.

And although I play quite a bit of the Summoner Wars app, that's one instance where both iterations are pretty identical experiences. It's not a terribly complicated game to begin with and very little "fiddly-ness", so the app doesn't so much improve the game as simply give you another medium through which to play it (and is quite excellent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! has zero set-up time on the app.

Carcassonne makes scoring so easy. I'm certain I have screwed up scoring on every physical game I have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanna play the physical version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the AI is incredibly weak, I love Dominant Species on the iPad for the sole reason that it handles all of the bookkeeping, tracking dominance, etc. - all the things that make the physical copy a challenge to get to the table.

Ditto for Le Havre. No fiddly-ness, no tons of chits and cards everywhere, no squinting across the table trying to read cards - it's all right there.

However, there is no substitute for playing real people face-to-face. (Except the digital Twilight Struggle, which allows me to get creamed by players from all over the world)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
... and does all the tedious shuffling...

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
mmthompsonmd wrote:

I like the physical construction of the ships much better than playing the app. On the other hand the resolution as ships fly through the deck of hazards is better handled by the app, since it is all but automatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmthompsonmd wrote:
When is the app better than the original game?

I'ld say:"Never."

Easier, yes. Better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the app includes physical, tactile bits to pick up and move around, works when the power is out, allows house rules (on the fly), and has pieces scattered across the table to analyze from various angles. Then, it may surpass a physical game.

I have no problem playing computerized versions of games, but they are a substitute, to be used when time, distance, or avaliable space makes physical play impossible or impracticle. I would not sit around a table passing a tablet around playing ticket to ride. Placing the trains on the board and hearing a sigh of relief or a groan of frustration from another player, depending on whether you took their spot is a fundamental joy of a game like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the more fidley a game is the more likely I'd like an app version (with AI).

Elder Sign is better on the app. the cardboard version really is very fiddly for what amounts to a simple dice game and players get what would be pretty expensive expansions with entire new boards for a relatively small dlc price.

I'm beginning to think the new Paperback app might kill the full game for me too; being able to arrange the cards in the app and playing it fast on solo really improves it for me. But then again the AI in paperback has got nothing on my friends' ability to make me laugh with words they come up with.

Galaxy Trucker though, is far better in person. Playing solo on the app is fine, great even.. but it has got nothing on the stress and even occasional physical interaction of that game in person.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
No, I can't get you Stamps.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:

Eldritch Horror is better on the app, partically because for very little price we get to have entire new boards etc, and the cardboard version really is very fidley for what amounts to a simple dice game.

You mean Elder Sign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, fixed!

But I would feel the same but stronger if there were a good Eldritch Horror app. Especially with how FF is weighing it down with expansions exactly like they said they wouldn't. I find the whole Arkham line more fiddley than they are worth after a couple of plays... and Elder Sign on the iPad is the only one I still play with anything approaching regularity (here's hoping Mansions of Madness with the App changes this for me).

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
As much as I like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set the app makes it so much easier to actually get up & playing.
And I never thought I would say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension is the one that comes to mind. When I first played Ascension in meatspace, it was fun, but I'd never buy it.
I got a deal on the app with most expansion and it's very fun.

Sentinels is up there, but I still enjoying playing the physical version.

I don't have a problem with Elder Sign, it has just enough fiddly to feel good (although I do have the app as well.)

I'm not sold on the Pathfinder app. First, it crashes on me very often, second, for some reason it's just not as easy to play as the physical version (though of course much easier to set up.) That said, I'm playing a physical four character game solo now, and it's a lot of upkeep.

Not sure I can come up with a rule to say "an app is better when..." other than to say an app version is better when it's on my Kindle and I'm on an airplane.
Obviously the app should be stable, as easy to read/play as the paper version, take care of the bookkeeping for you, provide a similar feel and experience to the physical version - but it can't replace the people you're playing with. I would absolutely prefer to play Sentinels or Elder Sign or virtually any live game, with people who want to play, than solo on the app. I even lean toward setting up a solo game over app games at home. It just feels more 'real'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
Personally, Magic: The Gathering is another one. Being able to build decks digitally and having the app adjudicate various rules interactions really helps it.

That's interesting, I hate how fiddly this plays in an app. Nearly every actions results in a timer an opportunity to play a card, activate a power, etc. I feel like I spend most of the game skipping timers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I very much like the Star Realms app cause I get to play with players from all around the world and I don't have to shuffle all the time. But the real game does give a nice feeling, but now I can't play the real version with anyone I know anymore cause I know the game way to well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:
mmthompsonmd wrote:
When is the app better than the original game?

I'ld say:"Never."

Easier, yes. Better?

My thoughts exactly - a vital part of boardgaming is the people I'm sat round the table with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
As much as I like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set the app makes it so much easier to actually get up & playing.
And I never thought I would say that.

The app is also *very* useful to learn PACG's unusual (but clever) rules. I've also found a few strategies that I doubt I would have learned through the dead tree game (eg. Have your cleric or paladin hang around with the monk, and give the monk blessings!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
msg tools
VaultBoy wrote:
Webhead123 wrote:

That's interesting, I hate how fiddly this plays in an app. Nearly every actions results in a timer an opportunity to play a card, activate a power, etc. I feel like I spend most of the game skipping timers.

The app is awesome for newer players I think. Magic has a really steep learning curve, and the app takes the vast majority of that away. Once/if you've internalised all the rules, it's easier and way faster to do it with cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just dont enjoy board/card games as apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always better when there is nobody to play with. But it's never better when there is someone to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arran Boardman
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a significant amount of the excellent port of Neuroshima Hex on IOS. I wouldn't really want to play a physical copy as I can't imagine the introduction of manually calculating the attacks would add anything to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Cano
France
Nice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcasonne app is fantastic; so good that my physical copy rarely sees the the light of day :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.