$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall the redesign has drastically improved the look, and user experience for game pages. But there's still some work to do. I have a recommendation which would both reveal useful information to the user, as well as condense similar information into a more cohesive and representative experience.

When a user lands on a game page, they're presented with the most important information at the top. Cover, title, ranking, player count, duration, etc. Directly under this header are links to various sections of the game page including Ratings, Forums, Images, Videos, etc.

What's not immediately obvious are the 10 links hidden underneath the "more" menu, including "web links".

BGG requires users to use the "web links" section to links to external content, such as news, podcast links, and text reviews. Obviously there isn't enough room for everything, but I feel like BGG is such a great source for news and reviews that hiding hundreds and thousands of review links under a menu does a tremendous disservice to the users.

Something like this approach could be a much better experience and would unite all reviews across the site into a single section which benefits the users, and BGG itself.

BGG already has these "web links" codified and categorized so it wouldn't take much effort to present the information in a different fashion. Obviously video reviews are what most people are looking for, so presenting them first is paramount...but text based reviews have their place and shouldn't be treated as 2nd class citizens.

Disclaimer: I'm the founder of Meeple Mountain, a board game review website where we write text based reviews. Yes this change would benefit me, but there are hundreds of other websites which would also realize the benefit of a change like this.

BGG would also benefit from having centralized content as it would reduce server load, increase discovery of additional content (more pages for ads), and indeed more content as more sites would add links to their content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to have the weblinks section much easier to find. I used to use them all the time because, while not the most accessible, were still easy to get to.

I get that they want to highlight video reviews, even though I have zero interest in them, but I think they are doing a disservice forgetting about text ones.

This is amplified by the fact that MANY forum "Reviews" are not very useful. Lots of them are simple how to play the game followed by a few lines saying how much they liked they game (but not why).

To be honest, I've since stopped going to BGG if I'm looking for a text review and end up just googling it. It's too much of a pain to find the weblinks ones (and I'm guessing most people don't even know its there) and the forum ones are more miss than hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
commadelimited wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm the founder of Meeple Mountain, a board game review website where we write text based reviews. Yes this change would benefit me, but there are hundreds of other websites which would also realize the benefit of a change like this.

I don't much care about providing a benefit to a couple hundred offsite game reviewers; it's the million plus game lovers who frequent BGG that count. I'm one of them, and if I wanted to go someplace else for gaming content I wouldn't need to come here to find the links. Case in point:

BoardGameQuest wrote:
...if I'm looking for a text review and end up just googling it.

Which is exactly what you should do if you want to read reviews elsewhere.

Personally, I get tired of seeing offsite links in so many of the reviews that do appear here. The majority of those reviews suck anyway; the chances of me following up those links are slim and none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@sphere, that's totally your prerogative. But many people don't think that way, With 1 million users, there's room for all styles of discovery. I'm simply aiming to offer options to people they didn't even know they had. I agree that much of the content is poor, I like to think that ours (and @boardgamequest's) content is top notch and deserving of some looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameQuest wrote:
It would be nice to have the weblinks section much easier to find. I used to use them all the time because, while not the most accessible, were still easy to get to.

Thanks for the comment btw Tony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.