Subject: Ex-Military Gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Blackwood
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any military / ex-military gamers out there? I personally served 4 years in the Royal Signals (British Army). Also did a tour of Afghanistan in 2009.

If so, any military themed games you would recommend that you play or have played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:
If so, any military themed games you would recommend that you play or have played?

Your best bet is to post in the wargamers' sub-forum here. If you're asking for recommendations, you might give people some idea of the scale & level of complexity etc. you're looking for, because if someone has poked someone else in the eye with a pointy stick or a ballistic missile in the last 7,000 years, there's a wargame about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poked in the eye with a ballistic missile-- Ow. That's gonna sting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Blacky47 wrote:

Your best bet is to post in the wargamers' sub-forum here. If you're asking for recommendations, you might give people some idea of the scale & level of complexity etc. you're looking for, because if someone has poked someone else in the eye with a pointy stick or a ballistic missile in the last 7,000 years, there's a wargame about it.

Not only the last 7,000 years, but in the 40+ thousand years or even thought of throwing stones, sticks, or missiles at somebody or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
Blacky47 wrote:

Not only the last 7,000 years, but in the 40+ thousand years or even thought of throwing stones, sticks, or missiles at somebody or something.

And that's just the past - there's also the whole future.

...as far as former military wargamers (assuming you mean gamers previously in the military), there are several gamers here in chit chat who are current or retired/separated military members. I'm one, and know there are others - but couldn't vouch for who they all are, or if they're into wargames. Best bet indeed is the wargaming forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:
Any military / ex-military gamers out there? I personally served 4 years in the Royal Signals (British Army). Also did a tour of Afghanistan in 2009.

4 years Air Force. Radio Frequency Transmission Systems (satellite communications).

Oddly haven't liked any war games (played Airborne Commander, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear, and Combat Commander:Europe). They're just so... dry... I didn't get into board games until 2 years after the military (I left in 2013).

I never did deploy. Our shop was full of single guys willing to take my spot (I got married young) on the 2 occasions we did deploy, so I never had to worry about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Blackwood
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
mbmb
79strat wrote:
Blacky47 wrote:

4 years Air Force. Radio Frequency Transmission Systems (satellite communications).

Oddly haven't liked any war games (played Airborne Commander, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear, and Combat Commander:Europe). They're just so... dry... I didn't get into board games until 2 years after the military (I left in 2013).

I never did deploy. Our shop was full of single guys willing to take my spot (I got married young) on the 2 occasions we did deploy, so I never had to worry about it.

Being young and single, I was first in line for deployment! It wasn't so bad though.

I was looking at Bolt Action for some WW2 gaming - any experience with that? I will post this question in the wargaming forum too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:
79strat wrote:
Blacky47 wrote:

Being young and single, I was first in line for deployment! It wasn't so bad though.

I was looking at Bolt Action for some WW2 gaming - any experience with that? I will post this question in the wargaming forum too.

Our shop only ever deployed to Qatar, which is supposedly a really nice place. We were slated for more hostile areas but they were nixed because they were apparently "too" hostile. I haven't personally heard of Bolt Action, but you'll get tons of advice in that sub forum I'm sure. Are you looking for solo or multiplayer games? Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Blackwood
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for both I think! I haven't really played a solo game, so I am intrigued to see what that would be like. I think Airborne Commander is solo?

A few of they guys I worked with ended up in Qatar at some stage. I think they enjoyed it - I had left when they were deployed though, so didn't hear what they thought of it.

Thanks for the welcome too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:
I'm looking for both I think! I haven't really played a solo game, so I am intrigued to see what that would be like.

A lot of hex-and-counter wargames don't have hidden information, so some people play both sides. There are a few wargames which are designed to be played solitaire, like D-Day at Omaha Beach; I used to have that, and it had some pretty cool elements, like the tide rising as the day goes on (shrinking the beach!). (I think that one's out-of-print now, but there's a more recent sequel, D-Day at Tarawa, which may be easier to get?)

If you're playing against a live opponent, though, block wargames like Rommel in the Desert or EastFront II (or anything else by Columbia Games, really) are the best.

Another option which some people use for wargames is playing either live or via email over a program called VASSAL; if you ask about that in your thread over in the wargames forum, many people would love to tell you more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Poked in the eye with a ballistic missile-- Ow. That's gonna sting.

But probably not for very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:
I'm looking for both I think! I haven't really played a solo game, so I am intrigued to see what that would be like. I think Airborne Commander is solo?

A few of they guys I worked with ended up in Qatar at some stage. I think they enjoyed it - I had left when they were deployed though, so didn't hear what they thought of it.

Thanks for the welcome too!

Yeah I didn't know about solo gaming when I first started this hobby but now I mostly play solo.

Check out Wipers Salient:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/wipers-salient

and Airborne Commander:

http://stratamaxgames.com/buy-airborne-commander/

They're both card games that are playable solo. I much preferred Wipers Salient. It's just a quick, fun little game. Airborne Commander takes more work but you might like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.