Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Nguyen
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I'm 90% done with an alternate game board design for a fairly popular game from a fairly popular publisher. Now all of the graphics on this board are mine and not from the original product, nor is the name of the game anywhere on this board.

If I were to put this is on Kickstarter advertising it as being a replacement/alternate board compatible with their game, do you think I'd get any legal heat from the publisher for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sum zero
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm going to guess that if you use any of their trade marks to promote your product they will send a cease and desist as you did not acquire license from them.

ianal and all that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnishedshirt wrote:
advertising it as being a replacement/alternate board compatible with their game,

that reads like your using their success, more than just saying something like "this game is like monopoly". I'd think thats way too close to be safe. It would take some actual lawyer-ing to iron out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Holroyd
England
Morecambe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think yes you would.

You wold have to promote it in a way where you would not be able to use any of the games name or graphics.

Your endeavor would be pointless as I feel you would need that type of thing to make it worthwhile.

Your best bet would be to offer it to the publisher to see if they want to use it, they may even give you permission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jajam
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Neil, to make it seem desirable for anyone to utilize it you would have to be clear as to what game this would be an enhancement for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the same of what expressed by everyone above. Plus, I believe that Kickstarter checks legal issues of this kind in advance. I am not sure they would allow you to start the project in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd probably have to go at it in a roundabout way. Something like: "Hey, do you know that game where you have to collect all the streets of the same color before you can build little buildings to rent out to a thimble or a shoe? I've created a replacement board that makes the game more fun!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to a lawyer.

People kickstart lego compatible bricks.

People kickstart dice for x-wing.

Talk to a lawyer.

(What game is it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.