Subject: Reporting back from Essen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Essen today and, of course, visited the booth with Isaac and Gloomhaven. Having just received the sample copies this morning, he was still unpacking stuff from the boxes...

The first thing I have to say is: MAN, this box is huge!!
Being a bit worried that the shipping cost for such a monster would really eat up any profit Issac should rightfully make from this glorious game, I asked him about it and how he manages to do it. He assured me that, while the margin wasn't large, it was still okay and that he managed this by finding the right partners and fulfillment centers and especially that a 20 pound package isn't THAT much pricier than a 10 pound package, so once you are in that range, it doesn't matter much.

Having my worries appeased, I took a closer look at all the components and THEY! LOOK! GREAT!
The map is printed on a sturdy, normal gameboard, the map tiles look very cool and are sturdy, too (standard for tiles like this). The overlay tiles look great (I was a bit worried there, because we didn't see much of those, yet).
The cards were great, too. They had a nice, slick feel to them, but since I will sleeve it all, anyway, the durability would not matter to me one way or the other
The rulebook and scenario book also totally fulfilled my expectations, as did the sticker sheet.

I took the chance, too, to finally play my first game of Gloomhaven and I have to say that it delivered on all fronts, but it was absolutely brutal and, being newbies as we were, one of us was killed right during the third turn! And while we won the scenario without further casualties (thanks to my character concentrating on healing people from that point on!), we have learned that you have to protect really well against those enemies, since they are certainly very deadly foes!

Playing the game, I also experienced the only thing that didn't come out perfectly, component-wise, IMHO:
The life and XP-tokens, while being very nice looking, are a bit small (which would, in itself, not be a big problem), but since the character mats don't have the small holes in them that I expected, but only a single line-shaped hole each for life and XP (like connecting all the holes for one stat together), they weren't really held in place there on the sides and got moved around too easily or fell on their sides. So they weren't as useful for tracking the stats as they should be and we placed them on their sides in the first place to track our life and XP, making the hole beneath them utterly useless and the tokens still very prone to getting accidentally moved around.

I guess the factory couldn't provide such small holes, but I can already see myself looking for another kind of token to put there...maybe making the tokens a bit wider at the bottom will help make them fit tighter and hold them in place.

But this small glitch couldn't prevent me from tremendously enjoying the game and now, more than ever, looking forward to getting my own copy of it in about two months time (Isaac was still very, very confident that it will happen, so keep your hopes up!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ILYA RUBINCHIK
Germany
flag msg tools
Do you remember the Booth number? I will be there tomorrow. Just to make sure that I would not miss Gloomhaven, need to put it on my list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The booth number is 6-C124.

Thanks for stopping by, Dennis. It was great to meet you, and I'm glad I was able to live up to your expectations. I'm not very happy with the trackers either. This morning is the first time I had a chance to interact with them. I'm not sure if there's anything we can do at this point to improve them, but we'll be discussing it with the manufacturers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! Hopefully we can get some pictures of the life & xp token issue you are referring to, so we can start coming up with solutions/alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report!

I'm kind of dreading hearing about most things from Essen (it will just make me want more games, I expect) but it was great to hear an update on this. Hopefully my group can get familiar with it before/during the holidays and we can dive in in the new year.

Good to know we should focus on staying alive as a starting point, too. It's always something I can get behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpa Gia
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
>Being a bit worried that the shipping cost for such a monster would really eat up any profit Issac should rightfully make from this glorious game, I asked him about it and how he manages to do it. He assured me that, while the margin wasn't large, it was still okay and that he managed this by finding the right partners and fulfillment centers and especially that a 20 pound package isn't THAT much pricier than a 10 pound package, so once you are in that range, it doesn't matter much.

Thanks for reporting on that, I was actually quite concerned since postage to Australia was somehow only $10 and my biggest concern was this was a mistake that would cost Issac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

What about designing a 3d print overlay to go over it? Or giving us measurements so someone else can. Sure it wouldn't give a widespread solution but there would at least be shapeways that you could use if you don't have access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can anyone sneak in a picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report!
Yes, pictures? That would be amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnneh wrote:
can anyone sneak in a picture?

I'll try to upload some tonight.

To make it short, this is just mind blowing. I was first absolutely amazed with the quality of the components. It's beautiful, very well made (as good as a FFG game might be). It's huge, literally. And I wasn't expecting such an amount of work; the rules are smart, dense, everything is well written, the scenario book is insane. Hours and hours of play.

It's the best experience I had from the fair. Nothing less, without a doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I've been to Essen and met Isaac, too. Here are my photos for you guys and gals to enjoy...

If you zoom in on the middle picture, you can see the lines instead of holes for the life and XP trackers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve de Vries
msg tools
Thanks for the report and the pictures!

Looks amazing. So stoked to play this game with my group. Hopefully it'll arrive in November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dickinson
Australia
flag msg tools
The trackers are supposed to stand up in the slot, right? But the slot is too wide and so everyone is laying them down?

One solution may be to glue little plugs to the back of the trackers so that they lay down but are held in place. Just a question of finding the right size.

If it's a problem I might have a go when I get my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

One solution may be to glue little plugs to the back of the trackers so that they lay down but are held in place. Just a question of finding the right size.
I'm thinking about using small rare earth (Neodym) magnets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ackland
msg tools
Those player mats are smaller than I'd thought they were going to be - they look like they're only about the size of 2 cards side by side - hence the problem.

This feels a bit like a repeat of the tiny cubes in Forge War - Isaac overestimating the utility of very small pieces.
That being said, the problem with the cuts should really have come up before now, as I would have expected the liaison at Panda to flag that the die cut was too small.

If we assume that all the player boards are already cut like this, what are some practical solutions?

At manufacturer level:
- Some sort of plastic piece that would grip the tokens through the slot and sit flat on the table under the player mat - might be possible, but would require design, tooling and testing - cost and time prohibitive.
- Re-do the markers so their 'legs' are thicker and produce some friction with the player mat. Probably cost prohibitive, and the mats might not be thick enough for this to work.

At user level:
- Design and 3d print something that would slot into the player mats and hold the tokens in place - might be the best solution, but tricky for individuals to do. The other issue is that you'd need custom HP prints for each character, as their max HP varies.
- Design and 3d print some sort of gripper, like the first option above.
- Glue a small NiB magnet to the bottom of each token and put a steel washer under the mat to slide along. Probably the best idea for cheap/functional. Only downside is the washer might scratch the art side of the character mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the Zombicide Black Plague black tracker bits might work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will "standard" gaming cubes fit into the tracks?

If so, that seems like the easiest solution (for me, anyway) since I've almost never seen a cube "fall over".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ax0r wrote:

At manufacturer level:
- Some sort of plastic piece that would grip the tokens through the slot and sit flat on the table under the player mat - might be possible, but would require design, tooling and testing - cost and time prohibitive.

This was what I was initially thinking to do. A small strip of anything which is the width of the XP and health tracker channel could be placed through and then rotated 90° to allow the tokens to move in the channel without falling over. I'm not particularly crafty so would likely mess this up but it may work.

BUT;
If that's the quibble with the game production then this is going to be an awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to seeing that full unboxing video! This can't come soon enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schauer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Wow! Which tuck box held the ipad and mac keyboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm worried about the little table they had holding the monster box. The poor thing is going break under the weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hayden
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Did anyone who spoke to Isaac get an updated sense of ETA? There's another recent thread here on BGG with a lot of contradictory info in it. His last useful update on the KS page indicated November shipment, but I wasn't sure if the delay in receiving the production copy for Essen presaged any further delays in customer shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AaronHayden wrote:
Did anyone who spoke to Isaac get an updated sense of ETA? There's another recent thread here on BGG with a lot of contradictory info in it. His last useful update on the KS page indicated November shipment, but I wasn't sure if the delay in receiving the production copy for Essen presaged any further delays in customer shipping.

OP's last paragraph:
Neva Kee wrote:
But this small glitch couldn't prevent me from tremendously enjoying the game and now, more than ever, looking forward to getting my own copy of it in about two months time (Isaac was still very, very confident that it will happen, so keep your hopes up!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hayden
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
ookami86 wrote:
AaronHayden wrote:

OP's last paragraph:
Neva Kee wrote:

You're right, I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out. "Two months time" seems like another delay compared to the August update where Isaac mentioned November delivery. Hopefully this is the last delay. I'd love to be able to play some over Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pearson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for the pictures! Do you know what the purpose of the number track that appears to be attached to the elemental infusion board? On the second picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.