Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's doing it this year? Who's done it before? Who doesn't know what I'm talking about?

NaNoWriMo is (of course) National Novel Writing Month

I had a go a couple of years ago, didnt get much written, and basically gave up. But its something I've always thought I'd like to do, so I'm trying to think of a half decent idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
devil ~"Redrum on the 'Disorient' *Possessed*!" Ghost-Wallaby Engineer even, why not? From his previous 'ethereal experiences' since "reincarnation".
sauronwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
devil ~"Redrum on the 'Disorient' *Possessed*!" Ghost-Wallaby Engineer even, why not? From his previous 'ethereal experiences' since "reincarnation".
sauronwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrain

That's some Nobel quality shit right there, Grogdylan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I'm not going to BGG.CON this year, so maybe I'll have to give this a try. Plus, someone told me today I don't have to worry about winning my Nobel prize until my 60's. I should probably start now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'll write a story of a dark hero, wandering a post apocalyptic wasteland, looking for the man that stole his favourite Monopoly piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
He could have a companion/mascot 'Poodle' that "dawdled" around some perilous 'pit' "eager-beaveredly" anticipating "Doodling"? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GROGnads wrote:
#98sauronwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrain
Koldfoot wrote:

That's some Nobel quality shit right there, Grogdylan.
Maybe you Boys could learn: "The Wreck of the ole 98 next time! Hey! THAT had a 'Wallaby' Engineer too come to think of this!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to try and read a whole book of Grognard talk - it would make Trainspotting look like Jack and Jill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
I would like to try and read a whole book of Grognard talk - it would make Trainspotting look like Jack and Jill.

I'll second that. Although, if you think Trainspotting is bad, try anything by James Kelman, like How Late It Was, How Late

Got a couple of unfinished novels lying around, one from twenty years ago, which is cheesy rubbish! No idea if it's going on over here, but I might give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to do this once about eight years ago. The problem is that it turns into a major time sink. I think about 16 days in I finally had to give up. Housework wasn't getting done, almost no time with the SO, my normal job is typically 45-50 hours per week. NanoWriMo, for me, was almost like having another full time job on the side. I don't see how other people do it unless they just have more free time or they are writing shorter stories. Now that I'm single, I could probably do it if I weren't in school, but I'm not sure that I care enough to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed NaNo each year from 2008 through 2012 and would recommend that anyone who has any thought at all that they might like to attempt it to do so. There is a warm and welcoming community, realistic and manageable goals (1667 word per day!), and a hugely fulfilling sense of accomplishment at the end of it, whether you break 50,000 words or not. Either way there are words of yours on a page that weren't there before, and may never have been if not for NaNo . . .

I had plans to return to the land of "kill-your-inner-editor" this year, having completed my Masters degree this month. But having completed my Masters degree this month, I am not sure I really want to jump right back into the world of late nights and deadlines. Instead I plan to do my own private NaNoEdMo - National Novel Editing Month.

Two and a half of my five NaNo efforts are a number of revisions in and getting close to a place where I send them off to agents and publishers. (Hell, one of them already has its first rejection letter!)

I think I am going to take some time (50 hours in 30 days?) to rework one of them. I have two weeks to figure out which one . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it in 2014 and finished the challenge with a first draft of a novel. Started last year and didn't get very far.

Won't do it this year partly because I'm going to BGG Con...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't going to, but why the hell not. I kind of want to re-write what I wrote up last year. It had moments of good and then a lot more moments of bad. I have some other ideas as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
robot "It was a derk and stormseeker75 NIGHT!..." surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
How about this 'concept' where you WRITE about us Geeks from YOUR 'recollections', and it should encompass as many that you converse WITH here through their own "chapter". Of course, 'moi' could fullfilled an entire "Coloring BOOK" of 'Connect-the-dots' on its OWN, so, these also were at their 'disadvantages' in them 'regards'. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be attempting this year. I have attempted every year since 2010 and have not yet managed to succeed by the stated goal of 50,000 words. I have had lots of fun, learned numerous things, and wrote way more words than I would have otherwise during the event each of those years though and that is why I keep trying every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
blush There is the 'title' and where shall YOU:
"take that on a FANTASTICOLLECTION VOYAGESAGESAYSSAWS!"

from there:
linkblanktooblankreply
You could vary the 'participant' with others in LIEU as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to write without any distractions?

You could always buy one of these

https://getfreewrite.com/

Its not actually a terrible idea, but way way too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Who's doing it this year? Who's done it before? Who doesn't know what I'm talking about?

NaNoWriMo is (of course) National Novel Writing Month

I had a go a couple of years ago, didnt get much written, and basically gave up. But its something I've always thought I'd like to do, so I'm trying to think of a half decent idea.

I first tried and succeeded in 2011 while I was on paternity leave. I tried the following year when I was back at work and failed miserably. My daughter is now 5, so I may work with her and the NaNoWriMo Junior Writers Program this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Heyse
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year I spend Aug-Oct dreaming finally being successful at NaNoWriMo and every year I make it about 5-6 days before falling off and dying.

SO IDK. This year I am going to BGG Con. I work about 50 hours a week. BUT I don't have kids. My husband works more than I do. Maybe instead of reading three novels a week I could spend that time writing.

The next piece of trouble is the writing itself. I do enjoy it I just hate dialogue. Maybe I'll write something The Road-esque that just avoids dialogue or makes it as stilted as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, its meant to be a challenge ;-)

You might make 10 days of writing this time, then 15 next year, and then the next year - you FINISH, and it would feel awesome!

I'm trying to do some outlines for possible stories, because last time I tried, I just didnt know where to take the story. And I didnt want to just have 50k words of some sort of stream of consciousness story that no one would ever read. Even tho the idea of Nanowrimo is just to keep writing, no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And away we go!

So, I've got an outline. I know how my story starts, and how it ends (roughly) - just havent filled in anything between those two points.

Hopefully I'll get started actually writing today after work - I'd hate to be behind on the first day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.