$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 82.66

5,507 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Trek Panic» Forums » Rules

Subject: All cloaked ships move according to 1 die roll? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state to resolve all threat token moves one facing at a time. They also state to move all the cloaked ships according to a single die roll as opposed to rolling individually.

Does the second sentence apply for each facing separately (i.e. if two cloaked ships are in different facings, you still roll separately), or do all cloaked ships in any facing move synchronously in the same direction after a single die roll?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't really matter when the individual ships move--doing it sector by sector is just to avoid the players getting confused about what has moved and what has not.

With that in mind, my interpretation is: Roll once to find out which direction all the cloaked ships will move. Then, move all the ships as normal, one sector at a time, moving cloaked ships in the indicated direction.

Moving all the cloaked ships at the same time would be possible, but if there are a lot of threats on the board, could be very confusing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but my question was about whether you roll individually for every facing that contains cloaked ships, or once for the whole board. The rules allow for both interpretations. It sounds like you are implying that you only roll once.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always done an independent role for each ship. It just seemed the thing to do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
I've always done an independent role for each ship. It just seemed the thing to do.


But, that is clearly in conflict with the rules. The rules are clear that you roll just once for multiple cloaked ships. What's not clear is whether you roll once per facing, or once for the entire board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
It sounds like you are implying that you only roll once.

Yes, just one roll, to minimize both tedium and confusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
The rules state to resolve all threat token moves one facing at a time.
Actually that's not a rule, it's simply recommended on page 13.

It took me a while to understand where your question was coming from but I think I get it:

All Threats move and fire at the same time. You just process them one sector at a time to keep things organized (or as organized as possible). ALL ships move and fire at the same time even cloaked ships. You have to ROLL ONCE for the cloaked ships to determine where they move and then they all follow the results of that roll, all at the same time.

Sure, you're going to process the results of the roll one sector at a time. And when the cloaked ships in sector 2 move counter-clockwise into sector 1 where the ships have already fired and destroyed the shields, you're going to have to remember that the uncloaking ships will still hit those same shields and not the hull. (Even worse is when the uncloaking ships in sector 6 move into sector 1 that you may have processed minutes ago.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cameron
United States
Martinez
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
mohnkern wrote:
I've always done an independent role for each ship. It just seemed the thing to do.


But, that is clearly in conflict with the rules. The rules are clear that you roll just once for multiple cloaked ships. What's not clear is whether you roll once per facing, or once for the entire board.


I feel its pretty clear that you roll once for all ships on the board, and not for each facing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the way I read it, normal threats do not roll to move, so you just move them one space toward the Enterprise.

Cloaked Ships, under "uncloak and fire..." it say [in the blue print]
[just roll once for all the uncloaking ships]
so the way I read it, if I have 4 cloaked ships, I would roll one die and then move all 4 accordingly.

unless I am misunderstanding the discussion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
demonllama wrote:
[just roll once for all the uncloaking ships]
so the way I read it, if I have 4 cloaked ships, I would roll one die and then move all 4 accordingly.

unless I am misunderstanding the discussion.

The original question was whether it was "roll once for all the ships on the board" or "roll once for all the ships in that sector".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
demonllama wrote:
[just roll once for all the uncloaking ships]
so the way I read it, if I have 4 cloaked ships, I would roll one die and then move all 4 accordingly.

unless I am misunderstanding the discussion.

The original question was whether it was "roll once for all the ships on the board" or "roll once for all the ships in that sector".
Ah. ok. I misunderstood the base of the conversation, but I believe my answer remains the same. as that "all" is there, I would assume it is for every (cloaked) ship, no matter the facing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.