Subject: Finally my win with Machines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Rivea
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
It's been 4 plays in 4 player matches as Machines and I finally won the day!

I picked up Transform and Terrain Advantage on top of default, but it was Transform alone that made the difference in play.

Round 1

I started out super aggressive, moving one piece through to the other side, claiming my easy exploration area as a build zone and the region in front too on my first move. I built a Shred Drone and a Bunker. Then I Sniped out the trog from one region entirely, and used Moving Cities to move it into that cleared region and Transform to convert it into units. The 2nd battle region I lost the battle,but without being captured and 2 trogs left in the region.

This meant I ended the turn with 0 victory points...but I was staged for future action.

Round 2

I built 2 orbital snipers, and did away with those trog mini-figs that populated that region. Next action I moved in 1 unit unopposed and lastly built a bunker and transformed it. While also moving out further from the other region I'd stocked up with figures.

**Luckily the Trog player and the human and pilgrim didnt enable scoring but did put together some good VPs nonetheless. Trogs didn't really figure out what they were about for a while which meant it went to 5 rounds! If it hadn't I am not sure I would have won.

The rest of the rounds I kept up the leapfrog front, only using transform in the last round to convert a bunch of units that had piled up away from the frontlines to power the final snipe.

In round 4 I enabled scoring and snagged 28 victory points, and final round I locked the humans and snagged 3 of their territories to get 38 crystals in the last round!

So excited to have finally won as Machines and now think I can stop obsessing as much and try another race on for size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
I find it interesting that the most effective use of the Bunker is to Transform it back into Troops after moving it with the default skill.

The regular "activation" of the structure is okay, but not easy to use efficiently (there's no guarantee that it'll be used), while as soon as you get Transform, the thing becomes a mobile factory.

Since we're on the topic of Machines winning...

I've finally won with them against humans in a 2p game.

I started from the south, seizing two territories with exploration tokens. The humans managed to get about the same from the north on the other side of the planet. I built a Matrix on the first turn (trog-free region) and used the card to help win the ensuing battle with the trogs (Air support ftw).

Those airfields really are troublesome to deal with and by the second turn, humans were enabling scoring, using their default skill and structures to control half of the planet, with a lot of crystals too.

But they were starting to be short on men, and i sent a large army to smash them on Kalas Ravine (supported by Shred drones), but humans played 4 (!) tactic cards...swinging the battle objective orders, adding troops and moving them around. I had only 3, so that last card gave them the win.

At the end of the 4th turn i was loosing square by 11 points (22 to 33). I actually almost gave up and offered a hand to the humans...who were confident not to loose as well. But then we just thought...it's just one more round let's finish it.

While humans controlled most of the map, they had lost most of their troops and they had completely used their hand last round, while i had a massive army (7 troops) but all in one region. Given machines usually like to go last, humans had switched the initiative and i was going first...but that proved to be fatal. I went all in with 5 movements...sending a lone troop into the Scorch (simply to lock it in battle and make sure the trogs would gain control at the end of the round),2 troops into Kalas Ravine, locking the airfield in battle and preventing any reinforcement in the zone. 2 more units went to the far north beside the human HQ just to prevent them from going their first. Humans replied by recruiting troops to threaten the region i had just left. I answered with a shred drone cutting their troops down to 1 in Kalas Ravine, and the game ended with 4 battles.

The humans saw trogs regain control of most of their land, while machines stood victorious on Kalas ravine and all the most valuable regions. It ended 54 Machines to 39. I was very impressed myself at how machines seemed to "clic" at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rivea
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
It really is that last round that Machines NEED in order to make it all work! It was really like that for me as well, where on the last round I used a TON of movement cards to engage everywhere I could to lock and nab valuable territory when the humans were run ragged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.