Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game gets rave reviews as a 2 player game and I just played my first game with my 7 year old. We really enjoyed it.

I'm considering buying another set so we can do 3 and 4 players. How fun is the game as a 3 and 4 player game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't love it with 3... but we've had a lot of fun with 4 players as two teams.

We chose to buy Colony Wars set rather than a second base set - they combine really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times with 3-4 and I still prefer it as a 2-player.

Many typically 2-player games have a variety of options for expanding, from co-op to free-for-all, and it would be unfair to judge them as a group. My advice is to try some out and see if any click with you and your group.

Start out this thread: multiplayer-formats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still good at 3 or 4, but does have a very different feel.

However, I would suggest buying Colony Wars if you have the base game (or vise-versa). Colony Wars has 2 more starter decks and another pile of explorers, but the rest of the cards are all brand new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's still good fun, less tactical in some ways, but the main thing is it takes significantly longer to play. That's the biggest factor that stops me playing it with more than 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
gamemark wrote:
I don't love it with 3... but we've had a lot of fun with 4 players as two teams.

We chose to buy Colony Wars set rather than a second base set - they combine really well.

What rules are you using to play 2v2? Do you use the official "share everything"? Never had the opportunity to play more than 2 yet but it seems to me that sharing money can lead to teammates having weird unbalanced decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
but the main thing is it takes significantly longer to play.

How long were your 4 player games lasting ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I'll agree that it looses something with more than 2 players, and takes a lot longer. I'd rather just play a mini tournament with 4 players, and play something else entirely with 3. It's still fun, but not nearly as exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
greylag wrote:
but the main thing is it takes significantly longer to play.

How long were your 4 player games lasting ?

I've not found they take much longer using the Hydra rules. The power ramps up much more quickly as you can afford to buy expensive stuff very quickly by combining your trade. This also means that there are cards that seem like they would be rarely worth buying so the game also seems a bit more random. I've not play 4p that much though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:

Yes, certainly get Colony Wars for 4p. You don't actually need to combined the trade decks - just use the extra scouts, vipers & scoring cards and pick one of the trade decks. That's what we have done and we have never got anywhere near running out. I might mix the trade decks at some point but I doubt I'll do it any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elucidarian wrote:
Start out this thread: multiplayer-formats.

That thread looks interesting.

Oh, I started it Thanks for linking to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely not recommend it for free-for-all 3 or 4p games. It loses a lot in that format. If you play the team variants that add some structure to it, it can work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MTGirl Collector
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3-6 players either hydra or hunter formats are my favorite ways to play the game. If you can get the starter cards together, and maybe 2 decks, or one deck and a bunch of expacs, 6 players on 3 person teams is some of the most fun I've had playing the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
I would definitely not recommend it for free-for-all 3 or 4p games. It loses a lot in that format. If you play the team variants that add some structure to it, it can work fine.

We've played and enjoyed the free-for-all, shuffling the colony wars and star realms sets together into a giant deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.