Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Ra for the first time with one other player at a EuroQuest weekend in Maryland about 2009 or so. I liked it so much I bought a used Uberplay copy at the game auction for $15. It's seen some love, but still in great shape, and it's weathered a few dozen plays since with grace (and that's a lot of plays for this gamer, what with time and other titles and everything).

Tonight I taught it to two (more) new Eurogamers and realized what Ra is all about. Time and again, it's one of the only games I own that routinely creates a raving fan every time I introduce it.

It always goes over pretty well. It is easy to teach and people immediately grasp the simple rules-really cool decisions dynamic. But EVERY TIME there's a new gamer who's NUTS about it. It hit me tonight...it's extraordinary for this reason alone.

If you're wondering whether you should buy it, do so at once. You might be that gamer, or your friend(s) might. But someone will be. And as your tastes change--mine sure have--Ra will keep up. It'll be there for you. And as a gamer who knows games...I could own a lot more than I do, but I don't, because I know what's what...this one's a keeper.

It'll teach you about taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More concisely:

"Yes"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it over 60 times, just recently this last weekend with two other players who I introduced this game too a couple of years ago and now they own their own copies. It never grows old, and has remained in my top personal 10 for over the last 10 years. A classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
More concisely:

"Yes"

More precisely: "Yes, buy it used."

(No way it's worth 50 bucks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Think Medici is a much better game, but really needs 5 to shine (and takes 6 players as well). Ra is much better suited to lower player Counts but I've Always found it extremely lacking compared to Medici, I Think I prefer the leaner, cleaner right to the Point auction/push your luck without the motch potch of categories and scoring rules in Ra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
More concisely:

"Yes"

This would be my sentiments too.

$15 for the Uberplay version, even used, is a fantastic deal

$50 to $60 for the Windrider... I haven't played with it, but from what I've seen, I at least wouldn't bother.

I was shocked that a used copy of Ra, also by Uberplay for $20 went unsold after a silent auction during Game Days (a convention done by Games Club of Maryland... the same group that does EuroQuest)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
More concisely:

"Yes"

What is worth?

If you measure worth by weight of cardboard and wood, number of illustrations, pages of rulebook and similar measures, no, it's not. If you measure by how much enjoyment you get out of it, it outscores many games I've paid more for.

If my two copies of Ra disappeared in a puff of smoke, and paying let me say 50 euros as a comparable sum in practice were the only option, would I buy it again? Yes. I've just paid 50 euros for several games at Spiel, and those are untested (well, slightly tested, not completely blind). Ra, for me, is a guaranteed win.

Of course for others, the guarantee may not be there. And there may be alternatives.

(And just to be clear, I've no stake in the success or failure of this or any other edition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
I Think Medici is a much better game, but really needs 5 to shine (and takes 6 players as well). Ra is much better suited to lower player Counts but I've Always found it extremely lacking compared to Medici, I Think I prefer the leaner, cleaner right to the Point auction/push your luck without the motch potch of categories and scoring rules in Ra

Hotch potch is a bit strong. Ra has four main scoring rules, and two minor scoring rules (left over gods and gold are minor). Medici has two and a half (the bonus points for reaching commodity levels is call a half. So I'd say Ra has twice as many scoring rules. Ra has three possible actions in a turn, and special cases for involuntary auctions (a term no longer in the latest rules) and end of epoch. Medici has two basic things (turning cards, bidding) and one special case (last person).

I think it would be fair to call Ra double the complexity of Medici. Anyone got rules to hand to compare page counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
GSReis wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
More concisely:

"Yes"

What is worth?

If you measure worth by weight of cardboard and wood, number of illustrations, pages of rulebook and similar measures, no, it's not. If you measure by how much enjoyment you get out of it, it outscores many games I've paid more for.

If my two copies of Ra disappeared in a puff of smoke, and paying let me say 50 euros as a comparable sum in practice were the only option, would I buy it again? Yes. I've just paid 50 euros for several games at Spiel, and those are untested (well, slightly tested, not completely blind). Ra, for me, is a guaranteed win.

Of course for others, the guarantee may not be there. And there may be alternatives.

(And just to be clear, I've no stake in the success or failure of this or any other edition.)
[shrug] I'm guessing some of us are measuring "worth" by what other good games they can get for $50, of which these days, is no small number of them.

I suppose the main issue is that we've all accustomed to this being a $30 game (with wooden Ra figure). I have a feeling that if this got released today at $50, it MAY have fared better, but then again, it wouldn't have it's past fame to boot, even if it could build itself there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
GSReis wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
More concisely:

"Yes"

What is worth?

[shrug] I'm guessing some of us are measuring "worth" by what other good games they can get for $50, of which these days, is no small number of them.

Exactly my point, that for me it would win that comparison. Others can (and will) form their own judgements.

Quote:
I suppose the main issue is that we've all accustomed to this being a $30 game (with wooden Ra figure).

Unfortunately, historic prices just aren't relevant. Yes, I know, we all aren't rational and attach to them (it's a form of priming that psychologists examine). It's rational not to buy if you think the current price is too high, but a comparison with what used to be isn't that. (Except in that there is a second hand market.)

Quote:
I have a feeling that if this got released today at $50, it MAY have fared better, but then again, it wouldn't have it's past fame to boot, even if it could build itself there.

I think without its reputation, it would be a hard sell (I'm assuming $50 will map to 50 euros or 50 pounds). Of course its reputation is why it is in a "Euro Classics" line. You'll note the reason I give that it would be worth it to me (if I didn't have a copy) is experience, even stronger than reputation. With it - well, some will buy, some won't, WindRider will act accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.