Support:

Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I was reviewing some files on an old hard drive and came across all of the print and plays I bought of Level 99 a few years ago. I thought I might print off a pair of bases + character group again, after having given away my backup, for-at-work battlecon collection to a friend earlier this year.

I was wondering if I could solicit some advice/critiques on the following list of ~10 characters. I've definitely developed some character/play style proclivities as I've played the game, mainly toward brawlers and mid-rangers. I just wanted to draw on the greater play experience of the forums, to make sure that there weren't any impossible match ups, or even if certain characters were too similar to be worth cramming together in the same box! In the end, I'd like a reasonably competitive and representative group of characters, but not one where I'm concerned about the "new player friendliness" of the roster.

Thanks very much!

-Andrew

Off the cuff 10:
Joal
Jager
Eligor
Oriana
Gerard
Gaspar
Rukyuk
Zaamassal
Demitras
Mikhail

Conflicted choices:
Baenvier
Iri
Thessala
Hikaru

Bonus boss:
Anath

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd. Not a single Marker character!

You may wanna consider one of the more "tactician" types like Tatsumi or Khadath.

You can probably replace Jager! Jager's a brawler and you already have that in spades with Joal, Gerard and Zaam.

Plus, Jager can be a BIT much for Eli to handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice! Love your battleguides too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolono wrote:
Thanks for the advice! Love your battleguides too!

Thanks for the love!

I hope your roster ends up being awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:

Did he edit it, or did you not spot Gaspar? >_>

I second the advice about including a tactician. Gaspar can be very tactical, but he's a special snowflake (and my personal favorite). More notes on that at the end.

These are my personal categories for the listed characters, not particularly indicative of anybody else's assessments:

Hikaru - speedy all-rounder
Eligor - counterattacker
Baenvier - counterattacker brawler
Joal - defensive brawler
Gerard - defensive brawler
Jager - offensive brawler
Gaspar - offensive brawler
Thessala - offensive brawler
Rukyuk - all-rounder ranger
Mikhail - heavyweight ranger
Oriana - high-stakes ranger
Zaamassal - stance shifter
Iri - stance shifter
Demitras - speedster

I definitely suggest including Hikaru and keeping Rukyuk. They're both solid all-rounders, and they're probably the most stable of the characters listed.

Eligor is an excellent counterattacker. I firmly approve.

Baenvier is an extremely powerful character with a very straightforward playstyle that can be difficult to execute... That said, Eligor does a better job being a counterattacker, and I think Baenvier might be sort of redundant with Eligor covering counterattacking and Joal/Gerard covering defensive brawling.

Joal and Gerard are very fun and, IMO, very tough to deal with. I think Joal is the more interesting opponent, but I enjoy playing Gerard more, so it's kind of a toss-up if you want to get rid of one.

Thessala probably isn't worth the extra space when you've already got her type well-represented, though she's certainly quite fun.

Mikhail and Oriana are both huge, powerful, high-stakes characters, but they play differently enough that I don't see any need to cut either of them. Good choices!

Iri is freakin' adorable and super fun, but you probably only need one stance shifter, so I'd keep Zaam. He's the archetype. (You could trade him out for Kehrolyn if you wanted a different sort of stance shifter.)

You only have one clocker (Demitras, though he's not always a clocker), and you don't have much disruption across the board. I'd suggest including Adjenna, Cherri, or Marmelee to represent a quirkier playstyle than the norm. (Not that they're at all the same playstyle between them, but just to thin out the "everyone's a brawler" thing.)

Demitras is currently the quirkiest of the lot, with Gaspar the second-quirkiest, and they're both very fast—Cherri and Adjenna are quite slow, so I think either of them would make a great addition.

Lastly, as mentioned by Marco, there's a lack of Marco—I mean Marker characters here. Karin is very popular and a great, solid character; I recommend throwing her in as the representative tactician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. So my suggested roster would be:

Off the cuff 10:
Joal or Gerard
Jager
Eligor
Oriana
Gaspar
Rukyuk
Zaamassal
Demitras
Mikhail

Conflicted choices:
Baenvier
Iri
Thessala
Hikaru

Bonus boss:
Anath

And also:
Karin or Khadath
Cherri or Marmelee

That would give you 12 characters + Anath to play with, which seems like a good number to me.

Edit: Threw in Khadath as an alternative for Karin, since he's a much less brawly tactician
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the helpful character examinations! I'm pleased to see that, while the group I first selected is pretty heavily slanted towards brawlers, it seems like a reasonable cross selection of complexities and different styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tirankin wrote:
mnmkami wrote:

Did he edit it, or did you not spot Gaspar? >_>

He has tokens but is not a Marker character in the traditional sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed this, because I was thinking of printing off some armory stuff, but has Level 99 stopped selling print and plays files? I actually can't even find the webstore I had previously purchased them through!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolono wrote:
Just noticed this, because I was thinking of printing off some armory stuff, but has Level 99 stopped selling print and plays files? I actually can't even find the webstore I had previously purchased them through!

Thanks!

You may want this link: http://www.battleconnection.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.