Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Carriço
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm fairly new to Eldritch Horror and I'm thinking of buying an expansion in the end of the month, just in time for Halloween! What big box expansions do you guys recommend? I've seen there's two out and Dreamlands seems to be awesome, but probably will take a bit long to be available in stores. I would love to hear your recommendations! For a small expansion i'm divided between Strange Remnants and Signs of Carcosa. Thank you in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
IMHO the small expansions offer you more bang for your buck than the big boxes (without taking the new Dreamlands into account as it is not available yet).

Of the two big box expansions, UdP has the better Geek rating (but only by 0.2 points); personally I also like UdP more than MoM, but generally I'd suggest buying the expansions in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really need a big box, I consider UtP vastly superior to MoM.
The main difference is the quality of Ancient One's included.
I'll just quote myself, okay?
haroth9842 wrote:
MoM has a substantially bigger amount of content that is dependent upon the extra board = bigger amount of content that is used more rarely.
Elder Things (MoM) are too easy, and dull as a dishwater. (Hint: As you won't like to play against them you'll use the extra board even less often)
Abhoth (UtP) is also too easy but at least has more interesting mechanics and theme.
Ithaqua (MoM) is hard but also frustratingly tedious.
Nephren-Ka (UtP) is about normal difficulty.
The extra board from UtP is integrated more seamlessly into the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Forsaken Lore first. It will expand the game and give you more for your money than any other expansion. After that you can buy any of them in any order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Forsaken Lore first and then buy what you like most. I like under the pyramids as a second choice, but I bought them all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the small box expansion (sorry, I missed that part of your post) this really is a dilemma.
Of the two you have mentioned, both expand game in very interesting ways.
However, I would choose Strange Remnants:
- I've checked the list of components and SR fares a little bit better in my opinion. I would choose Glamours, Relics, Agreements, and Focus over Talents, Promise of Power, and Impairments.
- Mystic Ruins introduce new encounter locations in a simple and fun way
- Syzygy is the most unique of all Ancient Ones, and this really enriches the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Buy Forsaken Lore first. It will expand the game and give you more for your money than any other expansion. After that you can buy any of them in any order.

^^^this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[offtopic]Hey fellows, do you really think that the original poster has mentioned all the expansions except the Forsaken Lore by accident? "I'm divided between Strange Remnants and Signs of Carcosa" isn't very ambiguous.[/offtopic]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
[offtopic]Well, judging from the awesomeness of the various covers, FS would also not be my first choice in expansions. Of course, without knowing anything of the content meeple [/offtopic]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Carriço
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the input, it is helping me a lot! I didn't mention Forsaken Lore because it's not in stock in the shops I usually buy boardgames, but now i will be waiting very patiently till it returns to stock! It seems it has a lot of good things in a small box Once again thank you! If it grows on me I know that I eventually will buy them all /walletcries whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JPCarrico wrote:
If it grows on me I know that I evetually will buy them all /walletcries whistle

Yes, you gotta catch them all! meeple It's one of my most played 2-player games between me and my wife. I'm totally excited about the Dreamlands expansion - more awesomeness for this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JPCarrico wrote:
I didn't mention Forsaken Lore because it's not in stock in the shops
In that case I'm joining to the chorus saying "get Forsaken Lore".
As the status here is "Now shipping" you probably won't need to wait very long.
Otherwise, you would have a lot of time to play with Strange Remnants before the Forsaken Lore arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
JPCarrico wrote:
Thank you so much for the input, it is helping me a lot! I didn't mention Forsaken Lore because it's not in stock in the shops I usually buy boardgames, but now i will be waiting very patiently till it returns to stock! It seems it has a lot of good things in a small box :D Once again thank you! If it grows on me I know that I eventually will buy them all /walletcries :whistle:

They just republished Foresaken Lore and it should be hitting stores now or in a few days, and I got an email from coolstuff that they are selling it again...

As another new player (with all the expansions except Remnants), my recommendation is Foresaken Lore then Under the Pyramids. (but I really like all of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
If you really need a big box, I consider UtP vastly superior to MoM.
The main difference is the quality of Ancient One's included.
I'll just quote myself, okay?
haroth9842 wrote:
MoM has a substantially bigger amount of content that is dependent upon the extra board = bigger amount of content that is used more rarely.
Elder Things (MoM) are too easy, and dull as a dishwater. (Hint: As you won't like to play against them you'll use the extra board even less often)
Abhoth (UtP) is also too easy but at least has more interesting mechanics and theme.
Ithaqua (MoM) is hard but also frustratingly tedious.
Nephren-Ka (UtP) is about normal difficulty.
The extra board from UtP is integrated more seamlessly into the main board.

I largely agree with all of this, but I will add that MoM is very thematic, and you can feel the ties to the famous HPL story as you play it. I find it very engaging on those terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsaken Lore if you want more of the same and/or a harder game
Strange Remnant if you want new stuff - it has most of the new expansion mechanisms to date except 1 (impair) I believe
Signs of Carcossa for a mix or if you particularly like that theme (reviews of it has been mixed, for me since I had everything up to that point, adding it to the game didn't feel like a big impact and while it wasn't bad in any way, it wasn't super memorable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lots of good advice already; mostly what expansions you want is mostly your own opinion, and you really can't go wrong (especially since you'll probably get hooked and get them all anyways). But here's my personal list.

* Forsaken Lore: Pads out almost every deck from the base game; this will give you a ridiculous amount of replayability for the core set. Therefore, it's definitely a priority. No new investigators, unfortunately.

* Signs of Carcosa: I love Hastur and this expansion also has my favorite investigators. This expansion definitely adds a lot more difficulty, not only in terms of the GOO, but the encounters have a greater chance to have you Impair your skills, which can hurt. I personally love the added difficulty this expansion adds.

* Under the Pyramids: This is a big box, and the best part about the big box is how many investigators you get, as well as the sheer number of cards for all of the other decks. I think the sideboard for this expansion also works very well and makes utilizing it a lot more streamlined than Antartica.

* Strange Remnants: Small box, a lot of bang for your buck. Very cool GOO along with an interesting Relic deck which adds a some cool relic specific expeditions which can be a lot of fun.

* Mountains of Madness: You still get a lot of content with this big box, but I find the GOO's less fun and the sideboard less engaging. Overall though, more investigators and more cards is never a bad thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.