Subject: My visit in Essen at Spiel 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I just want to share my experience at the booth of WWG yesterday

This booth was the most important point on my agenda and my first action was to visit it in the morning. I didn't see any well known faces at first and I was told that I could get my kickstarter copy of hero realms at 12 o'clock.
No problem, it was my first visit at a games fair and there was so much to discover.

the staff

At 14 o'clock I arrived again and I spoted Rob.
After he talked with some persons it was my turn.
It was pretty funny and a little bit special for me to meet people at the fair which I knew from media.
It was cool to shake his hand and to talk with him.
He also signed my copy of hero realms which was a nice move.
He answered me a question regarding the boss packs: The sweet spot to face them with heroes is 3 but they scale depending on the hero count.
I also asked if it would be possible to play a match versus him (I HAD TO ASK THIS) but there was just so much to do for him and I didn't expect that he would've time^^
Debbie gave me all my kickstarter stuff, the base set, hero packs, promos, kickstarter exclusives and a promo for epic and star realms.
She was also pretty friendly and talkative like the rest of the staff.
There were Rob and another person in the middle of the booth at the counter and they sold games/answered questions and on the left and right side of it, young people explained the games in english/german at several gaming tables.

organization at the booth

This part was edited: I just needed to say my name (and after some confusion, there was a long list with names) I received my kickstarter copy of hero realms.

As far as I could see there was always a table empty to play a match of hero realms/star realms/epic and the last action that day was to play 2 matches of hero realms at my third visit at the booth.
We started at 30 health and the girl wasn't sure 2 times about tiny parts of the rules but I knew them and there was also another person of the staff which helped her.

the booth

The booth wasn't small and there were some rows with tables to play on the one side hero realms and on the other side epic and star realms.
There were a few people interested in playing hero realms as I visited the booth.
I liked that there was a banner above the booth so you could easily spot it from far away.

the games

Rob and others sold in the middle ofthe booth hero realms (base set and character packs) and also epic and star realms, also some promos but please do not ask me what exactly they sold, I was for the most part interested in hero realms. As far as I remember they sold for star realms/epic everything which you also could add as addon in the pledge manager.

hero realms

If you remember the unboxing video of Rob, that was what I got.
The base game and 6 additional small packs without proper packaging as in the unboxing video, 5 different heroes and one bigger pack with all the promos/exclusives. This was not a big deal at all for me although they sold the hero packs in a proper packaging at the booth.

Well, many people said that the price is way too high for the whole hero realms content and I have to say that it could/should be cheaper BUT

Price is what you pay, value is what you get

I have an awesome time playing this game and I am happy that I could get it yesterday. In the evening I played some matches and this evening it's also planned because I will be tomorrow for 2 weeks in the USA for the first time (vacation) without my gaming group (my girlfriend).

For all people which are still waiting:

We already knew 3 heroes, also some part of the thief which seems very interesting in my opinion. He/she has 3 throwing daggers in the deck, 2 rubys and as ability he/she may let the opponent discard cards or acquire a card of the dicard pile of the opponent.

The fighter goes into another direction, he starts with 60 health and is an incredible good damage dealer.

Today I will play for the first time with the heroes and I like the way they are designed and that each of them has a different playstyle.

The 5 magic items were a relly great surprise!!!
They do not work the same way as gambits, you shuffle one of them into your starting deck. I noticed that each of them is linked to a hero, 5 items exist and 5 heroes. One item has for example arrows in its corners (Ranger item). Each item has a very good synergy with the hero it's linked to, for example the item for the fighter lets you gain additional health/it deals damage and so on and each of them has a very cool effect.

I didn't test the boss right now but the promos and exclusives are very cool. They are really great.
The base game comes with 80 cards for the market, if you are a kickstarter backer you will have 100. After I sleeved my cards I had to create 3 stacks for the market because it was way too high^^ 5 of the 20 promo/exclusive cards are 7 cost cards. Some cards let you summon tokens, the dragons deal damage to the opponent and each of its champions, the bounty hunter gets an additional bonus if you stunned a champion the same turn, the werewolf gets an additional bonus if youndiscard a card and so on, so there are different "mechanics/playstyles" which arent't included in the base game.

special hint

As I had to leave the fair I noticed that WWG features a brand new game which isn't designed by Rob. It has the word Necromancer in its name and I wished that I had some spare time to playtest it (it wasn't easy to spot it at the gaming tables). It was on the side of star realms/epic, the tables behind them. Some person explained me some deatails and it will be more complex as epic. At the start you choose your decks/kinds of magic and you have to win at 3 battle fields. The kickstarter campaign will start soon was the information I've got.

I know it was a lot of text but maybe some people still read it

EDIT: I added hero realms at the geek buzz because it was missing. If you want go to the bgg booth and vote for it like me ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, that was a very interesting read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your very detailed post O friendly Alien!
I agree with you, the value of the game is huge. I've played the PNP of this game more than anything else in my collection already, and I've only had it since August! Looking forward to the real thing sometime next week or so.

Enjoy Essen! Lots of us are jealous of you here in North America for being able to be there for it!
-Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up. That Necromancer game sounds interesting. Hopefully White Wizards will have it at Epic Worlds next month.

On the subject playing games against Rob: I don't know if you play Star Realms online, but if you do, Rob will play you if you challenge him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played vs. the AI right now but I think I will start playing online within the next weeks.

Thank you for the Thumbs and comments.

It was my first review and I usually do not write long texts.

I didn't expect that many people would read it because the post is so long.
I even shortened it because I posted a part of it directly to WWG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. I like the little snapshot into the event and I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience with the game and the staff involved. I'm really excited to get my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of you will enjoy the game even if you played the pnp-version like crazy.

The heroes give the game a nice touch and the exclusives and promos are just great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy de Graaf
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Picked up a copy as well, with 3 hero expansions. It gets a bit pricey if you buy everything, but it's a choice you make yourself. If you buy just the base game, you get more than enough. The base game is so worth the money and the quality of the cards and box are so much better than star realms'. The cards have a nice finish and the box is thick and sturdy. And the game is also that much better and is so much more loaded with theme. Anyway, thank you for the awesome post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of the game box, how much room is there in it? Could you sleeve the cards? Could you store the character cards in it? Both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just lost with the thief vs. the ranger of my girlfriend.
She had exactly 1 life left and then she dealt more than the required 19 damage on her next turn

If you sleeve the cards you can't properly close the box.

I have sleeved all cards and I use the box of the base game and 2 boxes which came with those 100 clear dragon shield sleeves.

Edit: I'd recommend to watch again the unboxing video of Rob. You will gain a good impression of the base box.

The base game barely fits in it (not sleeved)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:

Debbie gave me all my kickstarter stuff, the base set, hero packs, promos, kickstarter exclusives and a promo for epic and star realms.

Can you detail what promos and kickstarter exclusives you got?
I only got the base set, 5 hero packs and the Epic and Star Realms promo

cry

Edit: Unless you mean the Star Realms year one pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
Roger the Alien wrote:

Can you detail what promos and kickstarter exclusives you got?
I only got the base set, 5 hero packs and the Epic and Star Realms promo

cry

Edit: Unless you mean the Star Realms year one pack.

Hello Thomas, sorry for the late answer.
I am currently on vacation and I just had 2 evenings after the fair in Essen to unbox all the stuff and to play some matches.
Let me gather all the information:

I received the base game which contains 144 cards.

5 hero packs, each containing 15 cards.

You could also buy this content at the fair.

Additional to this cards I've got 1 epic promo and 1 star realms promo.

Now comes the important information for hero realms.

I also received another big pack (see Robs unboxing video) with 2 boss cards, 12 promos (3 for each faction, 2 cards which cost 3 gold and 1 card which costs 7 gold). 8 kickstarter exclusive cards are contained, 2 for each faction and 8 token cards because 2 kickstarter exclusive cards let you summon tokens. At last there are 5 magical item cards which are linked to each hero, you may shuffle 1 of them at the beginning of a match into your deck. Some of the promos and kickstarter exclusived have very interesting and new playstyles/mechanics. If you are a kickstarter backer you should've also received this 35 cards.

I'd contact WWG, they were really cool at the fair and they'll probably help you.

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask me.
If no alligator eats me in the Everglades tomorrow, I'll answer them within the next days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the update. I have contacted Debbie and she will send me the promo pack.

Seems I got the Star Realms year one pack twice - I had wondered why I bought an extra copy when it was part of the pledge - but didn't say anything thinking it was an oversight by me ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
The base game barely fits in it (not sleeved)

I find this pretty frustrating. One of the reasons for wanting this over Star Realms, a silly reason I'll admit, was to have a nice and official box to store the game in, big enough for 4 players. This box doesn't even fit the character expansions unless you pull out the original base cards, which, what a money-grab that is to just throw away 50 cards and replace them with 50 different cards. 4 characters should have been in the base game.

Worst of all though, how would you not expect people to want to sleeve a deck building game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.