BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Last Minute Trip to Essen. Seeking Advice! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
When bad things happen, I know you want to believe they are a joke, but sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BGG community,

I'm vacationing in NW Germany, and have decided I can't miss another chance to head to Essen Spiel. However, life has not granted me the time to do ANY kind of research about Essen, games that are being released etc.

I'm hoping I could get a few tips on what I should definitely check out or definitely buy... things that I won't have access to in the US, etc. I don't plan to go on a buying spree, and don't intend to ship boxes home. I'm just thinking of picking up one or two things.

A friend pointed me to Kreus, but as I'll be at the fair on Saturday, I'm assuming it will be sold out. I'll grab it if I can.

I have also already pre-ordered Pandemic Iberia.

Other than that, I'm flying almost completely blind.

My gaming tastes are eclectic and vast, so I tend to like everything. I know this kind of request is so open-ended, that it's almost silly, but I figured I'd post a thread and see what people think.

I just think it'd be a shame if there was something obvious/amazing/interesting that I'll regret seeing due to my lack of forward planning ;-)

Thanks for any input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Where to look:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193588/spiel-2016-preview
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215005/spiel-2016-preview...

The games that intrigued me most:

Epoch: Early Inventors
The Colonists
Age of Thieves
Barcelona: The Rose of Fire
Bubblee Pop
The Last Friday
Topoum
Sola Fide: The Reformation
Cottage Garden

Warning! I mostly ignored games with the following mechanics because I so rarely enjoy them:
Worker Placement
Card Drafting
Dice Rolling
Memory
Bluffing

If you really love any of those then the above list will be less helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could go to Essen, I would try to get
Terraforming Mars and Arkham Horror: The Card Game (it seems to be kind of a re-themed and streamlined version of the Lord of the Rings LCG, which I like quite a bit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To be honest, for somebody who "tends to like everything" and has limited baggage, Spiel is dangerous territory as it is. I mean, even if you're going in blind you'll need to exert some restraint to not break the backs of those carriers at the airport. I could make that problem worse and tell you to focus on sellers that offer bargains for bundles and pre-orders, or I could tell you to check the second hand-stores for your OOP grail games, but why would I want to make things even harder for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
When bad things happen, I know you want to believe they are a joke, but sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
To be honest, for somebody who "tends to like everything" and has limited baggage, Spiel is dangerous territory as it is. I mean, even if you're going in blind you'll need to exert some restraint to not break the backs of those carriers at the airport. I could make that problem worse and tell you to focus on sellers that offer bargains for bundles and pre-orders, or I could tell you to check the second hand-stores for your OOP grail games, but why would I want to make things even harder for you?

Thank you...? I guess...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

Thank you for your comments and input. I'll consider the games you listed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
If I could go to Essen, I would try to get
Terraforming Mars and Arkham Horror: The Card Game (it seems to be kind of a re-themed and streamlined version of the Lord of the Rings LCG, which I like quite a bit).

No Arkham Horror LCG there, I'm afraid.

Terraforming Mars is going strongly, though. Just about everyone (okay, slight exaggeration there) seemed to be running around with it.

The german version was sold out in minutes every day. The english one, at least on thursday, was still available, as they must have brought some larger numbers.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not surprise me at all that Terraforming Mars is going so well. It looks fantastic and the reviewers seem to love it.

I really hoped for Arkham Horror. If I have to wait too much longer, I think I'm going to explode. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be out by the end of the month.

I think it debuts this weekend in the US, actually.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
No Arkham Horror LCG there, I'm afraid.

Terraforming Mars is going strongly, though. Just about everyone (okay, slight exaggeration there) seemed to be running around with it.

The german version was sold out in minutes every day.
Yup,I was extremely disappoointed that the Arkham Horror LCG wasn't available at Essen. And of course I was too late to get a (German) copy of Terraforming Mars. I could have bought an English version, but I really want to support Schwerkraft Verlag because they're doing a really great job with their translations, imho.

Now I have to wait until January, it seems... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.