Support:

H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook page 8 variants says:

“No Survivors”: If you want to avoid other players knowing a Discovery counter’s strength after a failed expedition, remove the revealed Discovery counter from the game and replace it with one of the unused face-down Discovery counters from the game box. Of course, if there are no longer any unused Discovery counters, players can no longer swap out revealed ones for unused ones.

“Scouting”: At any time during your turn, you may pay to look at any face-down Discovery counter or card. The cost is $1 in Age I, $2 in Age II, and $3 in Age III. After looking at a face-down counter, return it to the same position, face-down. After the tiles are all discovered and you are looking at a card, you may return it either to the top or the bottom of the deck, face-down.

“Advanced Reconnaissance”: Before the game begins, turn all Discovery counters on the board face up. This will eliminate the possibility of failed expeditions and increase the need for strategic planning.

Questions:

1) if you played any, which ones did you play and how were they compared to each other/the normal way to play?

2) Scouting mentions cards and counters, but Advanced Reconnaissance only mentions the counters. Does that mean the cards remain unknown/chance dependent (between 2-6 range?)

3) Are there any other official or good variants? Thanks!

Poll
What is your favorite way to play?
No Survivors
Scouting
Advanced Reconnaissance
Normal (completely following normal rules)
Other (comment below please)
      19 answers
Poll created by NowOrNever88
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
No survivors or Normal rules, I feel like you lose the discovery part when you play it any other way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Till now I only played by the normal rules but I think I will switch to "No Survivors". Otherwise a failed discovery is not only a loss for the active player but also a gain for the other players which is kind of harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Dexposure.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game for new players should be Scouting or Advanced Reconnaissance, just to get a feel of how the game works. After 1 play should always go No survivors for reasons mentions above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've pretty much only played with No Survivors. I might have to try advanced recon though since it really is too painful to lose out on an exploration action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.