Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Brass a few times first a few months ago, and then AoI a few weeks after that. I like both, but felt that AoI was a little less luck dependent (cards are not quite as prohibitive - ...I realize the hard-core veteran Brass players will argue this is what provides much tension, but for the occasional player I think AoI's model is a bit more approachable). I also much prefer the VP award value for rails in AoI - the 1st round of the rail phase in Brass seemed to always be a race to go first so one could lay as many rail tiles as possible because they were worth so many points. I am curious however as to why AoI's industries are more generic/alike, vs. having some that are better for $, while others are better for VPs, as in Brass.
...Sorry, got carried away. For my question on mods:

I've played AoI about 6 times now on the German and NE US maps so far - really liking it. Recently I purchased the four expansion maps Sirois designed (if these are 1/2 as good as they sound, they will be great. Thanks much Claude for your fantastic contribution!). I am looking for suggestions for playing on these maps with 3 players.

The German map seems to support 4-5 players well, and 3 well if we use the following mods: remove all brown cards, all ship cards, and 2 of each of the industry cards (this was a suggestion made on BGG that we followed).
For the NE map we removed one of each color, 3 coal, and 2 of each industry card. Both of these worked well.

Do any of you have tried and proven suggestions as to how to mod the Russian map for 3 players (and Africa as well while we are at it)? I'm assuming its fine as is for 4-5 players. I suppose a variant of the above would work fine, but just thought I'd ask for an experienced suggestion.

THanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never messed around with modding the decks for different numbers of players. I just wanted to jump in and say that if you can find it, you should definitely pick up the Japan/Minnesota expansion. Japan's size makes it the perfect map for 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My Portugal (fan expansion to Age of Industry) custom map also works very well with 3p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

Rules of both maps (USSR and South Africa) already provide modifications for 3 player games. It was especially important for the USSR map because of the different card system.

Don't hesitate to share your experience once you have played them! All comments are welcome!

Thanks!

K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules for the Russian map a few weeks ago, but completely forgot that there was a section devoted specifically for three players. It seems claude that you have thought of everything!
I am hoping to get in a few games on that map tomorrow. I'll be sure to share my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Claude's maps are wonderful and provided me the inspiration to do mine. Oh, and Claude is awesome as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTom wrote:
I read the rules for the Russian map a few weeks ago, but completely forgot that there was a section devoted specifically for three players. It seems claude that you have thought of everything!
I am hoping to get in a few games on that map tomorrow. I'll be sure to share my experience.

Probably not everything but at least I thought about that!

Thanks again Jack! I'll have to send you another check for promoting my name like that!!

K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suggestions for mods for 3 player, and comments on the Maps
So far I have played one solo game on the Belgium map, and two four-player games on the Russian map.

The Belgium map, as well as a great lakes map (played once solo and once against another player), have made Age of Industry a fantastic two player experience. Playing two player on these is really just as satisfying as playing more players on the larger maps. The rules tweaks and map design Claude put into these maps are really that good. AoI is now one of the few multiplayer strategy games I own that play just as well with two players.

The Russian map is also excellent. The first game we played had me a little concerned as we saw a tremendous amount of coal and iron being built on the map (there is an abundance of coal and cheap iron locations on this map). We did not have any purchases from the market until the second to last turn of the game. I was concerned that The map simply provided too many resources. The second game however did not play out at all like this. We were purchasing and selling to the market early in the game and throughout the game. I think in the first game a couple of players were playing less than optimal by building Coal and Iron factories before there was demand in the market. The incentive to use state-provided cards for building also added an additional level of strategy to The game, requiring you to plan your movies earlier in advance. Also we found the games played on the Russian map played a bit quicker than on the other maps we played with four players. This is due to the state-provided cards that ultimately go away helping to deplete the deck sooner.

AoI is definitely our hot game right now. The additional maps that are available only make it that much better (BTW Jack I hope to get the chance to try your map out sometime soon as well). It is disappointing that it is not any more popular than it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.