$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.13

7,666 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
300 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 

Quartermaster General» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - Game over - Axis win - +35 points turn 12 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, so this is my first attempt at running a play by forum game. Please bear with me if I am slow and or incompetent.

We will be using the standard rules of the game (English) and the normal play by forum rules so for those new to PBF the main thing is don't communicate privately regarding the game. Communication in thread as it would be at a table is OK.

Player wise I believe I have:

Greg Whitfield playing Germany
Greg Whitfield
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb


Peter Bakija playing the United Kingdom
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb


Simon Derekx playimg Japan
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb


John McIntosh playing the Soviet Union
John McIntosh
msg tools


Karsten Engelmann playing Italy
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb


Jeff Johnson playing the USA
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


If people can pop me a PM to confirm they are good to go I will distribute the initial cards.
3 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - starting soon
I have had a couple of replies so far and have sent PMs to the other four players.

I really should find out how to edit that map file now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - starting soon
Hammy wrote:
I really should find out how to edit that map file now.



The most important concept to understand about that map file is that every country uses its own layers (one for each type of piece - so there's a dedicated layer for the German Armies and Navies, another one for the German Air Forces, then another one for the British Armies and Navies, and so on). That is how you can add, remove, and move around (i.e. cut and paste) the pieces over the background of the board, without leaving white holes when you delete a piece.

This is a good, simple tutorial on the subject of layers (in GIMP):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVnI3l9fgE

Note that you can have pieces belonging to different countries overlap over one another, since they will belong to different layers. You will get screwed if two pieces from the same country overlap so be careful with tight spaces on the map (like Eastern Europe, or the Baltic). Also, be careful to cut and paste each piece into its correct layer or you will easily lose track of it. Counters have their own dedicated layers as well.

Good luck, and have fun GMing
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - starting soon
Yeah, if you get stuck, gimme a shout; I'm very much Photoshopy.

Looking forward to the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - starting soon
Have fun!

*grabs popcorn*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - starting soon
Shoum wrote:
Have fun!

*grabs popcorn*


Do you want an Orangina?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play


OK,

Top cards of discard piles are:

Germany - The Autobahn
United Kingdom - Sea Battle
Japan - Build Navy
Soviet Union - Build Army
Italy - Supermarina
U.S.A - P-51 Mustang

If players can stick to the following format for their turns that would be great. The curly brackets are not needed, just enclosing comments.

{Country} {Turn #}
e.g. Germany T1

Play Step: Play {card name} {outcome or other info}
Supply Step: {normally Everything ok}
Victory Step: { + # VP}
Discard Step: {normally No additional discard}
Draw Step: {normally Draw # card}
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Move sent by PM (players are free to post moves direct into this thread as well)

Germany T1

Play Step: Play Build Army to put army in Western Europe.
Supply Step: Everything ok.
Victory Step: +4VP.
Discard Step: No additional discard.
Draw Step: Draw 1 card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
UK T1

Play Step: Play Build Navy to put navy in North Sea. Play Deploy Air Force to put air force in North Sea.
Supply Step: Everything ok.
Victory Step: +2VP.
Discard Step: No additional discard.
Draw Step: Draw 2 cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
(why is there a shadow-thing on western europe? Can someone actually spill its drink on a virtual board? Not really relevant, but it's bothering me, help me blush)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Japan T1

Play Step: Play Build Navy to put navy in Sea of Japan.
Play Deploy Air Force to put air force in Sea of Japan.
Supply Step: Everything ok.
Victory Step: +2VP.
Discard Step: No additional discard.
Draw Step: Draw 2 cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Shoum wrote:
(why is there a shadow-thing on western europe? Can someone actually spill its drink on a virtual board? Not really relevant, but it's bothering me, help me blush)


I wondered that too. I will have a look at the map file and see if I can work out what is going on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McIntosh
msg tools
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Soviet Union T1

Play Step: German-Soviet Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Demarcation. Build armies in Eastern Europe and Ukraine.
Supply Step: Everything ok.
Victory Step: +4VP.
Discard Step: No additional discard.
Draw Step: Asian Reserves. 2 Build Army cards from discard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Johntheboring wrote:
Soviet Union T1

Play Step: German-Soviet Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Demarcation. Build armies in Eastern Europe and Ukraine.
Supply Step: Everything ok.
Victory Step: +4VP.
Discard Step: No additional discard.
Draw Step: Asian Reserves. 2 Build Army cards from discard.


I was going to say that you can't build Eastern Europe then Ukraine as that is the way I have always read this card. Having checked the rules forum there is a post from Ian to say that the Ukraine can be the first build which is interesting as it seems to defy the basic rule of sequencing.

I suspect this card may need adjusting if the game is ever reprinted from scratch.

I also now understand why you threw away two build army cards (I think)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Italy T1
Duce looks around the board....and orders the BB Roma, escorted by the CA Zara and six destroyers out into the Mediterranean sea.

Play Step: Build Navy, place a navy in the mediterranean sea
Supply: everything okay
Victory step: +2 vps
Discard step: no additional discards
Draw step: Draw 1 card
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Hammy wrote:
I was going to say that you can't build Eastern Europe then Ukraine as that is the way I have always read this card. Having checked the rules forum there is a post from Ian to say that the Ukraine can be the first build which is interesting as it seems to defy the basic rule of sequencing.

I suspect this card may need adjusting if the game is ever reprinted from scratch...
This surprises me. I've always been very keen on the sequencing part of certain cardtexts. Ians reaction totally contradicts with the sequencing rule. Did he explain why this card was an exception to the sequencing rule?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Jan van der Laan wrote:
Hammy wrote:
I was going to say that you can't build Eastern Europe then Ukraine as that is the way I have always read this card. Having checked the rules forum there is a post from Ian to say that the Ukraine can be the first build which is interesting as it seems to defy the basic rule of sequencing.

I suspect this card may need adjusting if the game is ever reprinted from scratch...
This surprises me. I've always been very keen on the sequencing part of certain cardtexts. Ians reaction totally contradicts with the sequencing rule. Did he explain why this card was an exception to the sequencing rule?


Not really

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23948636#23948636
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McIntosh
msg tools
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Hammy wrote:
[q="Johntheboring"]Play Step: German-Soviet Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Demarcation. Build armies in Eastern Europe and Ukraine.

I was going to say that you can't build Eastern Europe then Ukraine as that is the way I have always read this card. Having checked the rules forum there is a post from Ian to say that the Ukraine can be the first build which is interesting as it seems to defy the basic rule of sequencing.


Like Eric Morecambe.. I built all the right armies, but not necessarily in the right order. (Sadly the BBC seems to have blocked the Grieg's Piano Concerto sketch on utube.)

I will try to be more exact in future to avoid a pedants revolt!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McIntosh
msg tools
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Also I was repeating the order written on the card without thinking it would matter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Derekx
France
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
I'm ok with this move.
The "and/or" is not an order when we think about it. It's like Italy Attacks Communists.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Hammy wrote:
Jan van der Laan wrote:
This surprises me. I've always been very keen on the sequencing part of certain cardtexts. Ians reaction totally contradicts with the sequencing rule. Did he explain why this card was an exception to the sequencing rule?


Not really

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23948636#23948636
OK, thanks. Something to remember the next time I play QMG...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Johntheboring wrote:
Hammy wrote:
[q="Johntheboring"]Play Step: German-Soviet Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Demarcation. Build armies in Eastern Europe and Ukraine.

I was going to say that you can't build Eastern Europe then Ukraine as that is the way I have always read this card. Having checked the rules forum there is a post from Ian to say that the Ukraine can be the first build which is interesting as it seems to defy the basic rule of sequencing.


Like Eric Morecambe.. I built all the right armies, but not necessarily in the right order. (Sadly the BBC seems to have blocked the Grieg's Piano Concerto sketch on utube.)

I will try to be more exact in future to avoid a pedants revolt!


The reason I questioned it is that normally the sequence of things on a card is significant. For example the US deploys fleet to Pearl Harbour card normally means that the second build in the list (North Pacific) cannot happen as at the point of the build there is no army in Hawaii.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
Jan van der Laan wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Jan van der Laan wrote:
This surprises me. I've always been very keen on the sequencing part of certain cardtexts. Ians reaction totally contradicts with the sequencing rule. Did he explain why this card was an exception to the sequencing rule?


Not really

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23948636#23948636
OK, thanks. Something to remember the next time I play QMG...


It is why it is good to play with people from outside your regular group.

In the other game I played in on the forum I discovered a clever trick for the Japanese using the Truk response card and SNLF to take Australia really fast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
USA Turn 1

Play Step: Build Army, place an army in Western US
Air Step: n/a
Supply: everything okay
Victory step: +4 vps
Discard step: no additional discards
Draw step: Draw 1 card
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears (Air Marshal) - In play
We made it to the end of turn 1

Map at the start of turn 2 is:



Not sure what the shadow over Western Europe is.

Allies lead: +2

Germany: Deck (38) Hand (7) Discard (6)
United Kingdom: Deck (33) Hand (7) Discard (7)
Japan: Deck (29) Hand (7) Discard (7)
USSR: Deck (30) Hand (7) Discard (5)
Italy: Deck (24) Hand (7) Discard (6)
USA: Deck (37) Hand (7) Discard (6)

There are no status or response cards in play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.