Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through the rules for this game I see that only 20 cards are added to the base game (10 boats), when used as an expansion.

-Port Royal-
120 cards. 50 ships. 120/50 = 2.4 || 10 ships of each color. 120/10 = 12

-Port Royal: Ein Auftrag geht noch-
24 cards. 10 ships 24/10 = 2.4 || 2 ships of each color 24/2 = 12

So we have a 1:12 chance to bust for the base game and expansion. Adding them together the ratio stays the same 144 cards, 12 ships of each color 1:12 ratio.

-Port Royal: unterwegs-
60 cards. 25 ships. 60/25 = 2.4 || 5 ships of each color 60/5 = 12

So here we have the exact same ratios as the base game. thumbsup

-Port Royal: unterwegs- (used as an expansion)
20 cards. 10 ships 20/10 = 2 || 2 ships of each color 20/2 = 10

And here the ratios change. thumbsdown

Why? It's only a slight change sure, but if we just add in a few more cards it'd work out just fine. The rules say to add in 5 Wholesalers and 5 Passengers. If we make each of those 7 we end up with 24 total cards added resulting in...

24 cards. 10 ships 20/10 = 2.4
2 ships of each color 24/2 = 12

From here adding this to the base game (and first expansion), all the ratios remain at 1:12 for busting. Kind of seems like an oversight. But nothing that cant be fixed with a house rule. I don't imagine have a few extra wholesalers/passengers would change the mechanics much (though I guess neither would having slightly different ratios either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing the math!
I would deduct tax and expedtion cards, as these are cards without effect on busting or on the admiral. So for me the magic number would be 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about the Expedition/Tax cards shake

Still, for convenience sake and easy math I just put in all the cards. Also, the expedition/tax cards could be held onto as money, so not including them jumbles up the math I think.

With how perfect the first expansion was to fit in with even ratios I was surprised this extra game didnt match as well. Still, it's only minor.

Regardless of all that, I will be getting this game. I enjoy the first two very much and a shorter version and/or an expanded larger version is great!
Wish there was a contract for passengers/wholesalers now as well.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:

20 cards. 10 ships 20/10 = 2 || 2 ships of each color 20/2 = 10

This is not the complete math, because you will never play with a ratio of 10. If you add the 20 cards to the base game an an expansion, you will end with 140 cards and 60 ships / 12 ships per color. So the ratio is 11,67.

Compared with the original 12 it is not a big deal if you play with 12 or 11,67. It does not have any impact to the game you will feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, I never finished the math on it, because my point was made when it showed a ratio of 10 instead of the previous 3 instances of a 12 ratio.

And ya, no one will notice a ~.33 change in ratio, but I was interested on why the change was made at all since it could have easily matched the other versions ratios by just including a few more cards from this game into the base game. Was just curious really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.