Subject: High Jump - Speeding up the initial turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
While playing in a PBF match, I got the following idea after a player (thx Robert!) interpreted my words in a different way.

The idea:
Speeding up the initial turns for forum play with a required "Qualifying" round that can be played out of turn order.

Since the probabilities of clearing 16 are so high (*), we might as well skip the whole process of getting to the heights that matter. Of course player interaction is important as well and because of that I suggest a height of 16 instead of 18 for this shortcut.

Gameplay-wise, the aim is to clear the height of 16 in three turns. The cleared result is what you bring to the main game.

Rolled 16 or more > cleared 16 > main at 18
Rolled 14 or 15 > cleared 14 > main at 18
Rolled 12 or 13 > cleared 12 > main at 18
Rolled 10 or 11 > cleared 10 > main at 18
Rolled 9 or less > failed > event score 0

The main game starts at 18 in turn order. Normal rules for skipping apply, 18 may be skipped.

Thanks for any observations/ideas.

(*) https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/339272/statistics-reine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like an acceptable shortcut ('10 or 12' should be '10 or 11'). But I see that in your current game you let players start by taking all of their desired jumps up to and including 14, which also works and is closer to the official rules for this event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
urbanus wrote:
...I see that in your current game you let players start by taking all of their desired jumps up to and including 14, which also works and is closer to the official rules for this event.
Yes, that is what lead me to this adapted idea and works similarly of course and is, as you say, closer to the official rules. For the later reason alone, perhaps even the better method.

In the idea above I am stretching it a bit further by going upto 16 without the chance of failing completely. (Discounting the negligeable chance of rolling less than 10 in 3 turns.)

Realistically, a player should take on at least one height of 10-14 in order to stay in the overall competition. Starting at 16 and failing will immediately leave you behind.
So, yes, as I descibe above I am taking away that decision making which is integral to the game, but it speeds up the game in a way more experienced players would approach this event anyway.

As an experienced player yourself, do you agree with my reasoning or do you see this in a different way?

I did post the forum as a discussion piece for exploring a speedup method other than the skipping-heights bonus way, which is more about strategy and theme.

PS: Typo fixed, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree, there should not be nil scores in the High Jump. That's what the Shot Put and Pole Vault are for .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.