Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see another setting box or two. Did this sell well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
I'd like to see another setting box or two. Did this sell well?

It's hard to say really. We don't have access to GW's sales figures, and anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all.

Things we do know:

GW has felt it worthwhile to add additional content in several issues of White Dwarf, has bundled together two hero packs, and even thought it was worthwhile printing a deck of hero cards. That's more support than they have lavished on any other board game since the '90s. (The cards are quite a big deal (ha ha), as a card-only expansion isn't the kind of thing GW usually goes in for, so I take that as a very positive sign.)

Here on BGG, it has a solid rating, and there are 1,074 logged owners. In contrast, Deathwatch Overkill (which was a massive hit for GW because of all the lovely cultists) only has 346 logged owners. The truth is, BGG represents a very small subset of the gaming world, and isn't the first port of call for GW support where the company is generally hated, so over 1,000 logged owners seems okay. But it's a far stretch from the 8,000 logged owners of Space Hulk Third Edition. A classic is always a classic!

At a guess, I would say the game has done okay. Maybe not as well as they would have liked. Hopefully, well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Overkill was a massive hit, yet only 346 logged owners here, but Silver Tower's 1,000+ owners still make us feel like it only sold...'ok'?

I understand this isn't the first destination for GW fans, but are we assuming Silver Tower fans are more board gamers and less the GW fan? Is that how you're thinking Silver Tower only sold 'ok'?

Also, I'd assume that anything AoS related will still sell less than anything 40K related.

I guess we can just hope it sold enough to warrant more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
The game is selling new online for around $85, which is below MSRP. That tells me that stores might be having a small problem moving stock of this game. That said, I think GW is looking to make strong moves into the board gaming world and will probably support Silver Tower (or products you can integrate with ST) for a while longer.

Why would it tell you that? Board games online are often below MSRP, regardless of how well they're selling. The only time they consistently get up to or exceed MSRP is when it's out of print, or expected to soon be out of print and there is a rush for the remaining stock, like Fantasy Flight games based on the GW licenses recently.

The manager of my local GW shop has said this is selling very well, but that's just one store of many. It does give me hope that it's doing well and will receive continued support.

EDIT: I just remembered that MSRP for this is $150, so $85 is quite a bit below that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
So Overkill was a massive hit, yet only 346 logged owners here, but Silver Tower's 1,000+ owners still make us feel like it only sold...'ok'?

I understand this isn't the first destination for GW fans, but are we assuming Silver Tower fans are more board gamers and less the GW fan? Is that how you're thinking Silver Tower only sold 'ok'?

GW boxed games are desirable for the miniatures, and people buying just for the miniatures accounts for a massive chunk of sales. I know people were buying Betrayal at Calth and Deathwatch three or four boxes at a time. The cardboard was going in the bin. Those games were massively successful because of 30K marines and the long-awaited return of genestealer cults. Sad but true, more people were buying for the models than the games. Prospero comes out soon, and it has custodes and sisters of silence in plastic - guaranteed big money. People are already planning to buy multiple boxes, but I bet we only see 400-ish logged owners here on the Geek.

BGG ownership isn't a great reflection of how well those games sold, not least because, even if you own four boxes, you only log ownership once (but probably not at all because you are over on the Dakka forums complaining about chaos space marines).

But Warhammer Quest is a grab bag of different Tzeentch monsters, some of which weren't hard to come by. Tzangors were exciting news, but nobody was buying four copies of Warhammer Quest to stock up on blue horrors. Plus, Age of Sigmar is still a punching bag for a lot of the GW supporters. It's the kind of product people buy once, not multiple times.

So, I'm assuming that, while some boxes were sold for the figures, Tower was geared more as a board game release. Obviously, the Warhammer Quest name is a big draw for board gamers in general, and that would have helped sales. This is why we see over 1,000 owners on BGG when most GW products are ignored (Imperial Knights Renegade has 54 owners!).

However, 1,000 owners is still not great when you compare it to Space Hulk's 8,000.

I think you have taken my us of okay as damning. It wasn't meant to be. I believe the game has done good business (as I said, GW have supported it lots already, which is a good indicator, and it's hard to judge from BGG), but I don't think it has been huge.

Wait to see the figures for Blood Bowl. They are going to blow up.

Oh, and as for the Death expansion... It probably doesn't matter how well Silver Tower sold. It's time for GW to update its range of Death products. If they can start the new wave of products with a boxed game, they probably will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

GW has felt it worthwhile to add additional content in several issues of White Dwarf...

Which issues have had WH:ST content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

GW has felt it worthwhile to add additional content in several issues of White Dwarf...

Which issues have had WH:ST content?

September 2016 is the only one that really matters as it had the exclusive White Dwarf character.

An earlier issue had a Lord of Plagues hero, but that hero is now available in the app and in the hero pack, so for most people, it isn't worth tracking down the issue.

On a vaguely related aside: Two issues also had stats for using all the Silver Tower heroes and monsters in the Age of Sigmar war game; but those PDFs are also available as free downloads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

421 Ratings & 133 Comments on BGG and a low ranking (no reason why this game should be ranked below the D&D adventure games)

I don't think it's sold as well to board gamers as it could, and picked up primarily among current or past GW customers instead, which is still reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have a feeling that if it retailed for $50 cheaper, it would have had a significantly larger impact. As it is, I think it still has done pretty well, and GW definitely appears to be listening to the fans of the game and making changes and updates that the fans are asking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
Yeah, I have a feeling that if it retailed for $50 cheaper.

Funny thing is, in the UK, Silver Tower has a pretty competitive price point.

Looking at Wayland Games, Silver Tower is available for £75. In the same store, Journey: Wrath of Demons is £90, while Rum and Bones, Imperial Assault, Star Wars Armada, Star Wars Rebellion, and Arcadia Quest are all £75 as well. Seems a little unfair to ask GW to undercut their prices to make them the cheapest "big box" game brand.

I understand that in other markets the prices are a bit squiffy sometimes, but I have no complaints at all about how Silver Tower was priced (and certainly for how they priced the hero card pack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that really is a good price in the UK. However, here in the US, it retails for $150, which is $50-$75 higher than other, similar games, which would account for it not getting as warm a reception as it deserves over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mydnight wrote:

421 Ratings & 133 Comments on BGG and a low ranking (no reason why this game should be ranked below the D&D adventure games)

I don't think it's sold as well to board gamers as it could, and picked up primarily among current or past GW customers instead, which is still reasonable.

I'd hardly call Silver Tower's ranking 'low' - it has a pretty solid rating of 7.8, which is higher than all four of the D&D boxed games. So I'd say it has a fairly respectable showing all things considered.

Magius wrote:
Yeah, that really is a good price in the UK. However, here in the US, it retails for $150, which is $50-$75 higher than other, similar games, which would account for it not getting as warm a reception as it deserves over here.

If you buy it through a FLGS you can probably get it for around $120 and on Amazon for around $85. So it really isn't fair to call it $150 in a practical sense. That said though, I do suspect that their policy of not allowing FLGS to sell their products through an online shopping cart is probably a pretty big issue. It limits exposure and makes the game more difficult to buy at a reasonable price through many of the mainstream channels used by many boardgamers. Honestly, if they really want to tap into the boardgame market they should probably seriously consider changing this policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:
So it really isn't fair to call it $150 in a practical sense. That said though, I do suspect that their policy of not allowing FLGS to sell their products through an online shopping cart is probably a pretty big issue. It limits exposure and makes the game more difficult to buy at a reasonable price through many of the mainstream channels used by many boardgamers. Honestly, if they really want to tap into the boardgame market they should probably seriously consider changing this policy.

So, how does that work exactly, because we don't have that in the UK. I mean, do you have to phone the store to order one? Is it just a rule that says you are not allowed to complete the payment online?

(By the way, $85 is less than £70. I've not found it that cheap even in the UK.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
quazai wrote:
So it really isn't fair to call it $150 in a practical sense. That said though, I do suspect that their policy of not allowing FLGS to sell their products through an online shopping cart is probably a pretty big issue. It limits exposure and makes the game more difficult to buy at a reasonable price through many of the mainstream channels used by many boardgamers. Honestly, if they really want to tap into the boardgame market they should probably seriously consider changing this policy.

So, how does that work exactly, because we don't have that in the UK. I mean, do you have to phone the store to order one? Is it just a rule that says you are not allowed to complete the payment online?

(By the way, $85 is less than £70. I've not found it that cheap even in the UK.)

It's bizarre. The rule basically restricts FLGS from selling any GW product through an online shopping cart. So you have a few options:

1. Order from GW (but then you pay MRSP, which is pretty high).
2. Go into a FLGS in person. Usually you can buy off the shelf for about %20 off if they have GW preferred pricing.
3. Arrange a purchase through a FLGS via email/phone, arrange payment after the fact. Of course this only works if a FLGS is willing to go to the trouble, and if you know a FLGS is carrying GW products.

Makes it a bit of a pain to get them at a reasonable price. I'm not sure what the deal is with Amazon (not sure it's entirely legit even, but maybe if someone else on here knows they can enlighten us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
However, here in the US, it retails for $150, which is $50-$75 higher than other, similar games, which would account for it not getting as warm a reception as it deserves over here.

eBay. A few weeks ago, you could pick up the game for $75. Add an eBay flash sale, and knock off $10. Prices have gone up to $85 plus shipping, and many sellers are selling just the bits: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as anecdotal evidence, Silver Tower has had more 'legs' than the other recent releases.

There seems to be more fan discussion and fan content. Execution force came and went rather quickly and although Betrayal at Calth, Deathwatch Overkill were received better, my feed for both of those games has been silent compared to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
GW sometimes will touch on different product lines, and even on occasion specific products, at their shareholder meetings / calls. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for specifics to be disclosed on one of those, but there is a reasonable possibility we'll hear something about the sales of boxed games in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game has been very well received, but it seems like a lot of old Warhammer Quest fans are holding out for an expansion that adds more of the things people loved about the original (between mission happenings, more leveling up, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.