Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very interested, and still am, but I purchased another game recently instead (which was also less money). There's just something about this game and all the hype surrounding it that is making me "uneasy". ALL of the reviews that I watched gave the game high praise. They may have also been paid for their services, which is fine, but does warrant additional scrutiny, in my humble opinion. It's the fact that I heard almost nothing bad about this game from anyone that made me hesitant.

Without doubt the production quality is through the roof. The price, for what you are getting, is astounding. But I'm concerned how much "game" is really here, and if I can see my family still being interested in playing this a year from now. I'm also concerned about the randomness in the game, like minion movement and such, and some rules questions that came up in sessions.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying the game. I really do hope the game is awesome. I'm just looking forward to seeing some reviews/comments from us "little people" before deciding. So once you guys get the game, please write some reviews and session reports so us "fence leaners" can decide once and for all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo without a dought did NOT get paid for his review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's 1.3 million registered BGG users, and 30,000 copies for sale. As an exercise, you should be able to deduce the answer to, "So did anyone else here NOT buy this game?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
There's 1.3 million registered BGG users, and 30,000 copies for sale. As an exercise, you should be able to deduce the answer to, "So did anyone else here NOT buy this game?"

It's called "sparking a conversation" David.

I didn't. I'm happy to wait a bit for the hype to die down, more reviews to come out, and errata to be incorporated into reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

It did. A math conversation. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Holding off may have been more sensible...I eagerly ordered it, but from what I've been hearing now, the rulebook looks pretty bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

I didn't. I'm happy to wait a bit for the hype to die down, more reviews to come out, and errata to be incorporated into reprints.

Seems more like trying to start an argument than a conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be really useful would be for all the million plus users here to start their own threads in every game forum for which they don't own the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Holding off may have been more sensible...I eagerly ordered it, but from what I've been hearing now, the rulebook looks pretty bad.

That's because what's been labeled the "Rulebook" is in fact more like a "Rules Reference Guide" similar to what FFG does with many of their games now.

The rules of the game are actually taught through the tutorial and then in each of the mission briefings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to wait for a later wave. I have a KD:M KS to save up for.. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:

Sure he did. He got a free copy of the game before anyone without a popular review series could. Did they pay him to say nice things? Nope. But a free game is still compensation for a review, no matter how you slice it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
jwspiker wrote:

Sure he did. He got a free copy of the game before anyone without a popular review series could. Did they pay him to say nice things? Nope. But a free game is still compensation for a review, no matter how you slice it.

Meh. A "free" $75.00 game shouldn't be enough to question any reviewer's integrity. I mean, you can choose to believe it is, and that's your go ahead, but I think most folks can differentiate between "payment" and "a copy of the game so you can review it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Where could I read more about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
ALL of the reviews that I watched gave the game high praise. They may have also been paid for their services...
I can't think of any one reviewer that was paid for a review.

Regarding your doubts and shades of cynicism it's actually very simple: do you buy games because you think they are good or because reviewers say they are?

In my case, I don't really get swayed by plastic that much. In fact, I had seen the "leaked" pictures of the game and they did nothing for me. After watching the reviews/gameplay videos and the first Watch it Played videos it was clear that this was a game for me and my group/family. Affordable too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Meh. A "free" $75.00 game shouldn't be enough to question any reviewer's integrity.

There's a few people who are essentially marketers for game publishers. If they gave bad reviews then they wouldn't be able to keep doing that. It's not so much about "questioning their integrity", it's just recognizing that they are highly biased toward the positive by the nature of what they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmb
Ton of games in my queue, so in no hurry.

Trying to decide between Wave 1.5 (which has current known typo fixes and errata) and Wave 2 (which will further address problems found)

With regard to the payment issue, a gift does sway a person (I think there was a Ludology/Game Tech on this). The question may be how much it sways if it is common in that person's day to day life.

Regardless, I've seen enough gameplay tomake my own decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ohbalto wrote:
Meh. A "free" $75.00 game shouldn't be enough to question any reviewer's integrity.

There's a few people who are essentially marketers for game publishers. If they gave bad reviews then they wouldn't be able to keep doing that. It's not so much about "questioning their integrity", it's just recognizing that they are highly biased toward the positive by the nature of what they do.
I disagree. For this to be true I would have to believe that

1- The pressure of NOT getting free copies make reviewers "higly biased". What does that mean exactly, "highly"? Sounds plausible in a cynical way, but is it "true"? I know of many reviewers with more than enough games in their quueue for that to become a real issue and a bunch who buy their games for review.

2- That publishers actually do punish reviewers in this way if they give a bad review. Proof?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for a future wave. I expected a sell-out, so I decided December would be fine by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:

dought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I didn't and probably won't until I can either pick up a used copy or see a community consensus develop on the quality of the game. I have Robo Rally, if I get desperate to play something with move programming. For $80, I will probably get more mileage out of a couple titles off CoolStuff, amazon or my LGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:
I'm waiting for a future wave. I expected a sell-out, so I decided December would be fine by me.
Thats the wave that's in place now, Wave 1 - Shipment 2 ships in December. If you wait for Wave 2 then you'll be getting the game in the Spring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
jmathias wrote:
jwspiker wrote:

Meh. A "free" $75.00 game shouldn't be enough to question any reviewer's integrity. I mean, you can choose to believe it is, and that's your go ahead, but I think most folks can differentiate between "payment" and "a copy of the game so you can review it".

I'm not questioning integrity. I'm simply pointing out, Rahdo nor any other reviewer would have done a review of this game when they did, if not for receiving a free copy of the game. It may not influence their review's content, but it most certainly influenced the choice to do one at all.

Therefore, compensation given, review received. It's not a judgment on character, it's just a fact of the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Hartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is Rahdo getting flak when they apparently flew Vasel out as a consultant on their dime? When I heard him gushing at extended length about a game that frankly doesn't seem all that impressive apart from production design, I really had to question how much of this game is pure hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

+1

Value for money this game looks great.

But the game just looks a bit repetitive to me. Horde mode all the way down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People, if you don't trust the reviews then go find any of the Let's Play style videos and judge for yourself whether or not the game is good. Watch people actually play and work through the game. It's getting to conspiracy level nonsense with this stuff.

I thought the Dice Tower guys (yet another of the reviewers people are up in arms about reviewing a project they consulted on briefly) did a good play through where it showed them working through one of the scenarios and expressing their opinions a bit at the end. You can't really bullshit through an actual play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.