$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.94

7,700 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Necromunda» Forums » General

Subject: Getting into Necromunda: Books, literature, miniatures, etc. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MintyTheCat Cat
msg tools
Hello all,

I remember Necromunda from back in the mid 90s and I never got a chance to play it.

Fast-forward a few years and I find the whole 'Hive concept' still alluring.

I have a couple of asks:

1. Could anyone recommend some books that cover the life and times of living in the Hives from the 40K range please?

2. I am not sure what type of gang to go for but some ideas would be welcome and then some ideas for models too. I quite like the idea of using highly mixed and custom members that are 'they broke the mould when they made him' kind of thing.

I already have some Chaos-Cultists that I use for Space-Hulk so I could use them but I quite fancied thinking about going for a gang that had some alluring interest.

Cheers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MintyTheCat wrote:
Hello all,

I remember Necromunda from back in the mid 90s and I never got a chance to play it.

Fast-forward a few years and I find the whole 'Hive concept' still alluring.


Necromunda is still crazy after all these years. There are a number of ways to approach this. And, it would be remiss to not repeat rumors that the revived Specialist Games will supposedly revive Necromunda as early as next year.

Secondly, a solid source of Necromunda advice is Yaktribegaming. Or, at least it used to be. I don't go there anymore, I'm a snob and it is a little too revisionists for me. So, explore at your own risk.

MintyTheCat wrote:
I have a couple of asks:

1. Could anyone recommend some books that cover the life and times of living in the Hives from the 40K range please?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/Search-Results.html
If you can find them at reasonable prices, these are fun books. They vary from not bad for Black Library fiction to pretty good for Black Library fiction. Space Marine is included because it begins with Hive Gangers. It is great read! The short stories are probably the easiest way to get re-acquainted.

MintyTheCat wrote:
2. I am not sure what type of gang to go for but some ideas would be welcome and then some ideas for models too. I quite like the idea of using highly mixed and custom members that are 'they broke the mould when they made him' kind of thing.

I already have some Chaos-Cultists that I use for Space-Hulk so I could use them but I quite fancied thinking about going for a gang that had some alluring interest.

Cheers.
If you want to get your hands on painted, converted, and lovingly stored Necromunda gangs, break into my game room and pry them from my cold dead hands. Or, get creative, there are a ton of miniature options. Or, roll the dice and wait and see if GW does in fact produce new gangs. But, don't be surprised if they come from Forge World, in resin, and are quite pricey. If you have gaming aspirations, I would HIGHLY recommend you stick with the good ole House Gangs. I love my Outlanders and such, but they play kinda funky. On the other hand, if you don't need no stink'n advice from the likes of me, the quickest and cheapest way to acquire a gang is go Spyers. A few purchases off of ebay is all you need. Fun and easy to paint. They don't need to convert during campaigns. Fun to play, and each is the epitome of "they broke the mold." Plus, they could have Space Hulk applications. Just a suggestion.

Good hunting, and keep us posted.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junktion from Mathew Farrer is a good novel to start
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MintyTheCat Cat
msg tools
Many thanks to you both for the direction and ideas.
I looks to be a fantastic game. I read that there are very strong notions that Necromunda will be re-released once again. I am going to read around it all for now but hope to be first in-line to get the new game.

The main issue is getting gangers for me but looking at my Chaos-Cultists they would make fine gangers.

It looks like a great game and I recall seeing it when it first came out but I never got into at that time. I like the whole grime and nastiness of the underhive though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.