Paris
flag msg tools
Hi everyone.

I read ont the treasure fleet rules :
Each expedition in the attack zone may initiate
piracy
at no CP cost on the chosen treasures.

and I read in the piracy rules :
Each power may only initiate piracy in a given ocean zone once per turn; place one of this power’s “Piracy” markers in this zone as a reminder.

So if a player, let's say the protestant already did the piracy action in the north Atlantic and the treasure fleet appears in the north atlantic, I anderstand that protestant can make this "initiate piracy". Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A literal reading of the rules would indicate no, they cannot because they already have done Piracy in that zone this turn, the Treasure Fleet doesn't say piracy against it is any different other than the zero CP cost. So it would still count as one attempt in that zone.

That's why a non Spanish Player holding the card may want to shop around during the Diplomacy Phase to see what he can get for timing the play of the card to either let players get in position, or hold off piracy attempts til after the Treasure Fleet shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Marty;

I have to disagree with your view on this for the following:

A. Piracy against the treasure fleet does not place a marker in that zone, so it would be allowed to attack a treasure fleet in an already 'pirated' area. An example would be if the fleet were attacked first in the Antilles (no marker) and then the same power pirated in the Antilles (placing a marker); the reverse must be allowed also.

B. Also note under Treasure Fleet that there is NO limit to the # of attacking Expeditions; you can have more than 2 attempting to loot the fleet if they are in the designated sea zone. It would be quite uncommon to see this, but if lots of folks know about it and send out their expeditions it could happen. Especially if the English have their informer working; I would tag along with them wherever they set up shop.

C. Finally, note that 'piracy' vs the T.Fleet is not a 'normal' piracy; as patrols and fortresses provide no benefits to the Spanish here.

In conclusion, Treasure Fleet is merely an event whose resolution involves determining what sea zone is used for seeing who may participate in the resolution; it is not a 'piracy attempt', it uses some of the piracy attempt values in it's resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I suggest we not be too literal here

The design intent is to make the Treasure Fleet as open to attack as possible. It doesn't come up that often in a game.

So you resolve it much like piracy but since there is no mention of a piracy marker in that rule section I would say you don't place one afterwards and existing piracy markers don't block you from attacking. Besides that would get pretty complex; you could have multiple sea captains in the same zone from different nationalities and some could/some couldn't attack based on whether or not their nation had a marker already placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albin Menant
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An additional question - when an expedition is damaged a second time when resolving an attack on the treasure fleet - the rules state that the expedition is eliminated. Should this read that the Sea Captain is eliminated just as with a second damage on a normal piracy action? Thematically it makes sense but the rules don't literally address what to do with the sea captain (turn track or eliminated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.