Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 player question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I play this almost solely as a two player game. I'm getting pretty good at catching Jack. As a matter of fact, he almost never escapes all four rounds. Some of that is due to the skill of Jack but I have also been moving ant detective in any order as well.

In a two player game, should I establish an order to the colors and then draw the head of investigation to decide where in that order to start? Then proceed clockwise around the colors? Or should I be able to move any color any time with no regard to order? It seems to be over powered to not have an order in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I wouldn't prescribe any kind of order to detective movement. That would swing it way too much to the Jack player.

Actually, I believe that in most games where players are even, the Jack player can have a slight advantage. One key to that is learning how to backtrack effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manningm01 wrote:
In a two player game, should I establish an order to the colors and then draw the head of investigation to decide where in that order to start? Then proceed clockwise around the colors? Or should I be able to move any color any time with no regard to order? It seems to be over powered to not have an order in place.

You should do what works for you and your opponents.

Any of playing in a small circle of opponents develop groupthink to some degree, and the resulting play styles will tend to favor one side or the other. Whitechapel deals with the neatly by providing optional rules, grouped according to which side they favor. Experimenting with these judiciously would be far more productive than asking what other people with other preconceptions and biases do. Find a combo that works for you, and use that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

More or less agree with Sphere- the "balance" of the game is very subjective and depends in large part on who is playing and how they are approaching the game.

I personally find it a bit surprising that the Investigators would dominate with the rules out of the box; perhaps as you suggest Jack needs to improve his skills? Have you switched sides and played Jack yourself? Playing both sides can be very instructive, in this case the player who usually loses as Jack might gain some insight from playing the Investigators, or at least you can gain some insight on how to play Jack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play strictly 2. Jack player plays as standard rules allow, no letters or anything. Police get rushing variant plus at start of game, all 5 police tiles get shuffled, 1 turned over each night, and that colored officer gets the area arrest ability for that night only. Super fun, looking forward to the expansion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
verandi wrote:

More or less agree with Sphere- the "balance" of the game is very subjective and depends in large part on who is playing and how they are approaching the game.

I personally find it a bit surprising that the Investigators would dominate with the rules out of the box; perhaps as you suggest Jack needs to improve his skills? Have you switched sides and played Jack yourself? Playing both sides can be very instructive, in this case the player who usually loses as Jack might gain some insight from playing the Investigators, or at least you can gain some insight on how to play Jack...

Yes I've played Jack many times and have only been caught once. So, establishing an order isn't a necessary rule? Only if it's too easy to catch Jack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
Santarém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players the only rule is that the Head of Investigation moves first and the other investigators are moved in any order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
AsGSnak wrote:
With 2 players the only rule is that the Head of Investigation moves first and the other investigators are moved in any order.

Ahh. This is helpful. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.