Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks interesting. Anyone have it and can weigh in on how good it is for virtually playing board games?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402560/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Isn't this the one with the monthly subscription?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
This is an "application" form of tabletopia.com.

Note that you're only paying for being able to run Tabletopia as a standalone application (rather than via the browser), and you get a free month of membership once Tabletopia is out of "beta".

Once Tabletopia is out of "beta" I believe you will need to pay a separate subscription fee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't understand how they can't integrate rules in the games, yet free models like boitejeux, boardgamearena.com and yucate.de can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valien wrote:
Anyone have it and can weigh in on how good it is for virtually playing board games?

I like it a lot. I've played probably a dozen games with people I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, did not realize it had a monthly sub. That figures I guess on the cost. Oh well. I'll stick with my physical games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
texascpa wrote:
I still don't understand how they can't integrate rules in the games, yet free models like boitejeux, boardgamearena.com and yucate.de can.

No-one says they can't. They choose not to.

They're trying to be a platform that allows people to add their game to Tabletopia without programming knowledge.

Programming a board game, even when using an existing framework, is not a trivial task, and requires much testing to fix bugs.

Perhaps it's something they'll add in the future.

I would also venture a guess that the sites you mention barely exist on donations (or "premium membership"). Perhaps Tabletopia is aiming to be profitable rather than just provide a free service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Tabletopia a number of times and really like it. I prefer the interface over Tabletop Simulator, but I still do play games using TS. There are also a number of games on Tabletopia that you'll be able to play without a subscription.

It's also worth mentioning that Tabletopia partners with the Publishers of the games they host. The publishers are the ones that decide if their games will be free without a subscription. Part of your subscription fee goes to the publishers of the games you play and the rest goes to Tabletopia.

I got all this information from the Tabletopia kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have used Tabletopia a few times and I like it better than Tabletop Simulator (which I also own). I purchased Tabletopia for $5 the instant I saw it was on sale so that I don't have to install/open Firefox or Internet Explorer. I'm a fan of the subscription model because that suggests to me that game designers and publishers are getting a well-deserved cut, as opposed to the many unofficial mods available for Tabletop Simulator (which I guiltily play.)

It's hard to compare it to board game arena and those sites since Tabletopia doesn't enforce rules, which isn't necessarily good or bad. It puts the onus on you to know the rules and it allows you to play rules wrong, but this means you can also use variants or play a more open game where moves can be taken back or whatever. I play on those sites, too.

So, in summary, I like all the things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valien wrote:
Ah, did not realize it had a monthly sub. That figures I guess on the cost. Oh well. I'll stick with my physical games

If you want something without a sub, consider Tabletop Simulator.

Very similar concept, but fixed price for the software. Licensing of the games works differently -- anyone can upload games to the workshop. So in theory, some games uploaded might not be with the permission of the publisher.

Was literally just on sale yesterday for $8, but frequently appears as a Steam or Humble Store sale for $10 (50% off).

May be more of what you are looking for, depending...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
tabletopia not enforcing rules automatically is equal to the cardboard not enforcing the rules automatically when you play face to face. I got to playtest a game using tabletopia and I was quite impressed with it. I would much rather play with physical components but it's the best choice for groups split by distance, etc that I've seen. There are some great VASSAL modules, but I like that game devs get a cut from tabletopia and the UI is much slicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I just signed up w/the sale. Graphics are great but the interface is not intuitive, and I have not found an "undo" option. For example When you draw cards you have to choose how many from a small dial - I clicked wrong & ended up w/way too many. Had to restart game.

Some of the games are "premium" so not available to play but many are, or the 2-player versions are (Imperial Settlers, Keyflower).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
msg tools
I have tried Tabletopia and have used Tabletop Simulator a lot... I don't think I would pay even $4.99 for this and will stick to Tabletop Simulator... The interface for Tabletopia is so clunky and slow compared to TTS... there is a little bit of a learning curve to TTS, but once you get it down, you can just do so much on it. Also, I found it was very difficult to find a game unless you already had an friend to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.