Subject: How does continental congress work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Cizmar
Canada
Summerland
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm confused because the game says continental congress is considered a unit. Does this mean it can move like a combat unit? Can it move with a general like a normal CU? Or does it just stay stationery until its destroyed and I place it back on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soggycardboard wrote:
I'm confused because the game says continental congress is considered a unit. Does this mean it can move like a combat unit? Can it move with a general like a normal CU? Or does it just stay stationery until its destroyed and I place it back on the map.

The Continental Congress does not move, nor can it move with a general. It stays stationary until the British take the space. If the British do remove it, then on the reinforcement phase of the next turn the American player places Congress back on the map.

If Congress is removed from the map during the Strategy Phase then the American player may not place PC markers using OPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Brett,

Yeah, I could see how it might be a little baffling if Congress was categorized as a unit in the glossary, given that the rulebook never ever uses the term "unit" when referring to Congress. Especially since the Continental Congress is always called out by name if it's ever a factor for gameplay, and never by "unit".

With one important exception...

The glossary on page 3 actually categorizes the Continental Congress as an "American Unit" (as opposed to simply, "unit". And also note there is no glossary entry for a "British Unit", which is telling).
This is important because the term, "American Unit" is used in the rules, on page 18, in the section that discusses placing British PC markers (rule 10.11.B.ii). (The British player can't place a British PC marker in a space containing an American Unit, which according to the glossary as just mentioned, includes the Continental Congress).

One may wonder why, for consistency, that sentence simply doesn't read like the rest of similar sentences scattered throughout the rulebook (i.e., "can't place on a space containing an American General, an American CU, or the Continental Congress).
It could be because, if you look on page 23, the term "American Unit" also includes Rochambeau and French CUs! So probably it's this, which would've been a mouthful to write on page page 18! My guess is that Mark wanted to use one term, instead of having to write out the entire list of all units friendly to the American cause that could foil British PC placement. And it was seemingly for use only on page 18!

That's my take, anyway.

BTW, Eric does a good job of answering the rest of your question. Most of what he discusses can be found in rule 7.7, on page 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Cizmar
Canada
Summerland
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks for clearing that up! I assumed it worked that way but I had to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.