JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Alderac Entertainment Group will be putting out their own version of The Captain is Dead early next year:

https://www.facebook.com/alderac/photos/a.10150579066341580....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I snagged one of the 100 available pledges for the combined Episodes 1, 2, and 3. Now, I'm somewhat torn on whether to wait for the AEG version or not... According to the Facebook comments from AEG, the AEG edition will be compatible with Episodes 2 and 3 as Kickstarted. They aren't committing to publishing Episodes 2 and 3, taking a wait-and-see approach to how well the base set sells for them. The only changes: "Some visual adjustments. Keeping the same look and art, just some adjustments to the graphic layout." That seems rather vague.

Presumably the quality of the components might be better?

Seems like my options are:

1. Keep my Episodes 1, 2, and 3 pledge for $110.
2. Drop my pledge down to $60 for Episodes 2 and 3 and pick up the AEG Episode 1 at retail in Q1 2017.
3. Drop my pledge entirely, buy AEG Episode 1 at retail, and hope AEG will also publish Episodes 2 and 3.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged for episode 1,2 and 3 but I'm vaguely interested in episode 2 and not interested at all in episode 3.

But I just can't import episode 1 from the USA as it would cost me more than the whole pledge.

If the episode 1 is about to be available in Europe, I don't need that pledge anymore.
And if, just like Love Letters and Smash Up, the episode 1 is translated in french, I then really really don't need this pledge.

But, as always, the answers will only drop after the KS...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
baylock wrote:
I pledged for episode 1,2 and 3 but I'm vaguely interested in episode 2 and not interested at all in episode 3.

But I just can't import episode 1 from the USA as it would cost me more than the whole pledge.

If the episode 1 is about to be available in Europe, I don't need that pledge anymore.
And if, just like Love Letters and Smash Up, the episode 1 is translated in french, I then really really don't need this pledge.

But, as always, the answers will only drop after the KS...

We've been as up front as we can be about this since the beginning of the kickstarter. And there are still 5 days left in the kickstarter, so it's not as if we're trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take it personally. It wasn't my intention to say that you hide anything. Clearly you are not as such an announcement at this time is not particularly in your favor for the KS campaign.
And I know that this is out of your control anyway as they will first have to assess how good the product is received before they take any further measures.

My point was to say that there is nobody who can answer my questions right now and when someone will have the answers, the KS will be over.

My "as always" is related to the fact that I often had this kind of catch 22 during KS's, that's really all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As another "I got one of the 1,2,3 pledges" backer, it's certainly "gamble" time - to definitely get ALL the gaming goodness of this series next year, or potentially pick up the refined experience from AEG next year.

I suspect the risk-adverse would be recommended to wait for the published version. It's confirmed now, and let's be honest, all those games you keep backing with 2-3 expansions thrown in from the start... do you honestly ever get around to playing those expansions much ?!

That said, as a collector, speculator and someone who wants to pick up interesting gaming gems from KS - I think this set IS the one for me. Sure it's now the "old edition" before it's even been delivered, but there are several games where that's been desirable in the past, and I'm happy to take the punt that this will be the case for this set.

It's a dilemma for many of us - but I think it's a an excellent dilemma for us and for everyone involved with publishing this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wohoo! thanks guys for pulling out now I can get a 3 copy pledge ;-)

Being in Australia it will likely take ages for the AEG to be released so I'm happy to just grab this version.

Its a shame though the Kickstarter clearly lost money once this was announced. Stretch goals people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry guys, you're getting a great board game as it stands. No rules discrepancies, or anything of the sort standing in between you and a fun little Trek-like puzzle to solve once it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bru Ticus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is AEG going to make new art for Captain Is Dead? I played the game twice and like it, but the art could be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bruticus wrote:
Is AEG going to make new art for Captain Is Dead? I played the game twice and like it, but the art could be better.

AEG on Facebook wrote the following: "Some visual adjustments. Keeping the same look and art, just some adjustments to the graphic layout."

I, for one, think the artwork and overall art direction of the game are great as-is. I'm kind of hoping for better standees though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is printing/fulfilling the KS episode 3? AEG or The Game Crafter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Who is printing/fulfilling the KS episode 3? AEG or The Game Crafter?

Everything in this Kickstarter will be printed by Game Crafter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then my sets will match and I will be slightly happier. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEG is not involved in episodes 2 and three anyway.
Not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
AEG is not involved in episodes 2 and three anyway.
Not yet.
My mistake. I thought I read somewhere that they were going to republish all three next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Then my sets will match and I will be slightly happier. Thanks!

in a previous thread designer said that the episoded 2 and 3 will be compatable with AEG edition. So you really have nothing to worry about no matter who publishes it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But they did say it will be compatible everywhere else I've read about it, including their FB.
They talked about minor changes and mainly in the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
But they did say it will be compatible everywhere else I've read about it, including their FB.
They talked about minor changes and mainly in the design.

I saw that and deleted my post. Hadn't seen the facebook post when I first posted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian B
Germany
flag msg tools
Any info if AEG will release a german version of The Captain is Dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Big in Japan coming in 2017! Tons of Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are about to start talks with our international partners for localization, and Germany is definitely on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if I can say, super-excited to get to work on this one. The game is ridiculously fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
Also, if I can say, super-excited to get to work on this one. The game is ridiculously fun.

Fantastic to see AEG on board - this is a seriously underrated game in need of a much wider distribution, which hopefully, AEG will be able to support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the goal! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.