Subject: Utilizing the Insert:My take rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Vinhos [+] [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen one set of pictures up to show organization, but I thought I'd put up a text summary of my own method for those who like written directions over visuals(especially with so many counters) This follows my *own* logic, so your mileage may vary

'Tall' comparements:

I've put the Wineries in one of these, with the Winerack and Black Porto bottles(because so much space!)

Another holds all the money

The third holds a bunch of the strictly expansion components: Double Wineries, Double Vineyards, Secret Cellars, Tourist Tile, and Pholoxidae tile. These things aren't used unless you pick them for their specific expansion so I like to keep them 'out of the way' since I play with a lot of new folks.

The Last one holds Both the Magnate Action and the Purple VP tiles I've used some of the 'blank' tiles to bolster the Purple Tiles in a row on the bottom so that the magnate tiles don't fall down among them. The magnate tiles rest neatly on top.

The 9 compartment tray holds all the wine tiles. 1-8 each get their own compartments with 9-10 in another and 11-13 in the last one.

Under it are the islands and the solitaire cards.

In the large central comparement we've got baggies!

All but 4 Tourists and all of the white wooden 'wineries' are in one bag, because they're the 'most optional' components in my mind.

A small bag holds all the 2010 specific compoenents(4 bottles, 4 fair disks, fair chits), +0 weather tile, and I threw the generic porto tiles in there too just to put them somewhere.

4 small bags each for the individual color components, for easy distribution to players.

and 1 bag holding all the enologists, farmers, prestige cubes, and 4 of the tourists(in case of Lisboa)

The short-side compartments hold:

1 holds the basic 24 experts, vertical, and 1 set of 4 of the expansion experts on top. I felt cramming all 32 expansion experts in one compartment made it too snug, also this way you can pick your 'standard 7' later and put them together.

The second holds the other 28 expansion experts all vertical.

The third holds all the region tiles. They're sorted in groups of 4, vertically, in 2 rows with some more of the 'blanks' to fill in the space at the end. The Ocean tiles go atop these to keep them from flinging themselves about and getting jumbled.

And lastly we have the Cellars and Aczores warehouses vertically, with the weather tiles in 2 equal stacks laid atop them.

I hope this helps someone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dorcich
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics or it didn't happen.

(Please)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
djhopscotch wrote:

(Please)

Seconded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueDane wrote:
djhopscotch wrote:

(Please)

Seconded!

Alright I will post up something soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole thing with cap:

Money and wineries/porto:

Magnate actions and expansion extras:

Scoring tiles under the magnate actions and white buffer pieces. I had aagnate action fall down in between but green/purple are easy to seperate.

Centre tray:

Experts, the one tray looks the same as the under under those 4 experts laid on top.

Weather and ocean tokens on top of the last two sections:

Sorted vinyards and cellars beneath the lrevious pic:

Baggies that live in the big center space:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming I actually decide to keep this edition, I'm likely going to toss the insert. It's next to useless to me. I think I could do a better job using Plano/ArtBin boxes like I did in the original.

Thanks for the pictures and explanations though, I might try your solution before I toss the insert and see how I like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Souli
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Was able to get everything organized pretty well. Used some of the unused blue and white components as make shift dividers. Still need to go through all the wooden components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for at least starting me off! I came up with my own revised system once I got going (bagging the 3rd and 4th player components separately since I'll normally play solo or 2P.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I hope this helps someone

Thanks a lot !

I have mostly followed your advices with a few changes:
- first, I have tried to sort the tiles instead of throwing them,
- the sleeved cards are in a zip bag with most of the bags containing the wooden pieces,
- the other bags of wooden pieces are used to wedge the tiles,
- the +3 tiles and the fair tiles are the 9th compartment of the removable tray (the wine tiles are in the over 8.

I have replaced the English rulebooks and reference guides by the French ones and put them on the top of the board.

The small inconvenient is that the player boards are not wedged and move freely on top of the board and the thickness of all the "paper components" prevent the lid to fully go down.

On the whole the insert seems almost perfect to me, I hope I will keep this opinion after the first transportation/play/tidying/transportaion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just decided to keep it unpacked on my table forever.

Ugh, after the brilliant insert of The Gallerist, this is definitely a letdown in this game. The Gallerist isn't perfect either but it's pretty darn close.

Insert designers: making a big area where you have to dump a bunch of stuff into is not a "deluxe" insert. If I have to put a bunch of numbered chits into a baggie and sort them out each game, it kind of defeats the purpose.

At least the previous Vinhos I could fit a plano box with the wine barrels and vinyards sorted.

Another tip for insert designers: If you can't do the above and make everything sorted, please make it modular so these portions which hold pre-sorted bits can be kept intact while we can remove the generic "big bins" portion of the box for our better solutions so we don't have to ditch the entire thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Assuming I actually decide to keep this edition, I'm likely going to toss the insert. It's next to useless to me. I think I could do a better job using Plano/ArtBin boxes like I did in the original.

Thanks for the pictures and explanations though, I might try your solution before I toss the insert and see how I like it

Yeah this insert is bog standard for the industry, in other words, next to useless. A huge step down from age discovery or the gallerist.

I have everything base game in the deep side and centre, everything expansion on the short side, most things bagged. Winery bits are in the shallow side as well maybe (I also don't plan to use them, they are pretty ugly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different shakes I suppose. I find the insert to be very servicable and a lot better than an extra $20 in plano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Different shakes I suppose. I find the insert to be very servicable and a lot better than an extra $20 in plano.

Agreed. I don't own the Gallerist, but compared to the dozens of other modern inserts I own, this is definitely not "bog standard". If they had a layout in mind when designing it, it would have been helpful to see that. But I was able to fit everything in a fairly organized way right off the bat. I'll keep working at it, because it can certainly be better, but this insert provides plenty of options. (And I'm a big Plano fan, so I'm normally inclined to go with that solution.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By the way, the day I have punched and sorted Vinhos I have done the same with Coffee Roaster which comes with ... a sorting guide.
It was the first I had ever saw in a boardgame and it would be great if it was common for games with a lot of bits to sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Agreed. I don't own the Gallerist, but compared to the dozens of other modern inserts I own, this is definitely not "bog standard". If they had a layout in mind when designing it, it would have been helpful to see that. But I was able to fit everything in a fairly organized way right off the bat. I'll keep working at it, because it can certainly be better, but this insert provides plenty of options. (And I'm a big Plano fan, so I'm normally inclined to go with that solution.)

Ok, fair to say it is substandard for what I would expect from EGG? It 'fits' but it was hardly clean if you want to bag things. That is a flaw that drives it down to standard, aka flawed. AoE and The Gallerist do not have this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:

Ok, fair to say it is substandard for what I would expect from EGG? It 'fits' but it was hardly clean if you want to bag things. That is a flaw that drives it down to standard, aka flawed. AoE and The Gallerist do not have this issue.

Sounds fair. But it sets EGG way, way above "bog standard". Take, for example, a pricier game I just purchased, Star Trek Ascendancy. Humongous, mostly empty, box. Which indicates they know people will be storing the inevitable expansions in it. But their insert provides two big wells for the plastic bits and then a vacu-formed space for the cards and tiles that come with the base set. Just the base set. And zero space for sleeved cards. So the instant you try to sleeve anything, or you add any expansions (which will have more cards and tiles), it becomes instantly worthless. So it's basically there to cushion the unopened product during shipping, and nothing more. In my experience, I consider that "bog standard". Vinhos at least provides me with some options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ffg special, would you like some game with your air
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.