34.3% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, MoM fans, we had an enjoyable 2-investigator game yesterday. We lost, but it was thematic and pretty satisfying. Had FUN, so I am NOT intending to complain, just seeking information.

The fact that nearly every turn we both had to roll horror checks against monsters which required 2 successes, meant that with only 3 dice each for Will, we very seldom succeeded. Both investigators were insane, and we lost due to one investigator being eliminated by insanity.

I'm wondering if our game was an outlier, or if we are missing some important game-play tip? Is there a way to mitigate those incessant "Test WILL, roll 3 dice for 2 successes" horror checks?

Or should we simply always choose Sister Mary and Father Whomever who both have 5 Will?

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
You are correct, Will is massive in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving yourself open to horror checks is practically as bad as leaving yourself open to attacks from monsters, depending upon your health / sanity.

In general, I have been feeling like sanity is more important than health in this game because horror is more common than damage. That might also mean that high willpower is very important (and it probably is), but you really want to have your bases covered in stats across the investigator team.

You shouldn't roll with all low will investigators. But when you have a mix, I would guess that low will players should try extra hard to avoid horror and / or dust the monsters off the map before horror is resolved because they have stats that make them good with weapons or guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I had similar troubles in Escape From Innsmouth related to having characters with very little Influence, which I made a thread about HERE

When choosing your characters it's really best to ensure your Will is decent as horror checks are a nightmare (as they should be!), but make sure the team is balanced as otherwise it can make sessions really painful to play though.

Balanced stats within a team are necessary to do well at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely correct, willpower is among the most important stats in this game,taking a 3 will investigator is like choosing "Hard"setting.

A way to avoid horror checks is to gang up and try to eliminate monsters in one round.

One could also place low will investigators out of range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Jones, yo
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hmmm, are there no investigators out there with 2 will? I would consider that as Hard difficulty. I usually play with 3-will investigators and it hasn't given me too much trouble. It's been my experience with 3-will parties that the game will usually start me off with Holy Water, the KJ Bible, and/or the Inspire Courage spell. Also some of the more sheeple-ish characters have great ways to mitigate l'horreur; whereas other investigator see a sledgehammer in the shed, my main man Preston Fairmont sees a therapeutic sledgehammer. Jenny Barnes is much too sophisticated to remain horrified. Kate Winthrop can GTFO ("F" stands for "flux") and just outrun most horrific creatures. Most of the other low-will dudes can just give monsters the boot, medium style, before a horror check even becomes relevant. With good strats and proper action economy, your 3 willed characters can easily circumvent their shortcomings.

And then the @#$%ing mob just makes a croaking noise and all your characters go insane anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.