8 Posts

War of the Ring (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Any tips for Cutting Down Set Up and Put Away Times? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love War of the Ring, but it takes me a long time to set it up (especially now with LOME/WOME to add in.) My 7 year old helps and has basically memorized where everything goes. Even so, it takes me a good 15 minutes both to set it up and put it away. Any little tips or tricks to cut that time down? I thought this would be a cool thread to perhaps help us brainstorm. I am a big fan of efficiency and every second cut down on set up allows for more time playing the game.

I will start it off with one thing probably most of you do:

Now when we play we discard all the event cards face down and separate them in to their proper piles as we discard. Before in the heat of the moment we just chucked them all together which meant we had to separate the cards out again after the game.

What are your secrets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have separated the units of each nation from each other, have you not? Remembering starting units indeed helps. Nice to hear that your 7 year old already does that, I expect you to have great games when he or she gets older! Also if you do not have another set of combat dice, I recommended getting it.

Setup can be done during the first turns of the game. Basically both sides need only to draw their starting hand and the guide of the Fellowship must be determined. Then after allocating the eyes and rolling the dice you can continue setup when it is not your turn or when it is appropriate (i.e. when moving armies and advancing nations). Of course this method needs somewhat experienced players that can "see" the armies even when they are not on the board yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Really Helps:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/84580/setup-reference-she...

Print out two copies then both sides can be putting stuff out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hessen wrote:
You have separated the units of each nation from each other, have you not? Remembering starting units indeed helps. Nice to hear that your 7 year old already does that, I expect you to have great games when he or she gets older! Also if you do not have another set of combat dice, I recommended getting it.

Setup can be done during the first turns of the game. Basically both sides need only to draw their starting hand and the guide of the Fellowship must be determined. Then after allocating the eyes and rolling the dice you can continue setup when it is not your turn or when it is appropriate (i.e. when moving armies and advancing nations). Of course this method needs somewhat experienced players that can "see" the armies even when they are not on the board yet.

Thanks. Yes, actually my 7 year old son joined me for a 4 player game against two less experienced (than me) players. He did quite well.

I separate all units into their own bags and also remember how many go where. Also have two sets of combat dice.

Your second idea is a good idea. I hadn't though of setting it up while playing before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
In addition to the mentioned setup reference I love my custom foamcore insert which keeps everything sorted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having the models clearly distinguished by nation speeds things up dramatically. Even colour coding the bases.

If that is a bit too much hassle, you can at least store them in separate bags by nation. This speeds up setup but makes takedown longer.

The other thing I would do is have a bag to keep the political counters separate from the settlement tokens. Sorting out the various tokens can be very fiddly and time consuming in set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hoover
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Separate out all of the starting units into individual ziplock bags and write their starting location on the bag. Then you pull out a bag and it will day Woodland relm, etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I store my figures by nation, however, I have two bags/compartments that hold all the starting figures. This way each player dumps his units on the board and sets them up in their starting locations without having to go to each nation's bag to get the right number of units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.