Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise» Forums » Strategy

Subject: German Strategy (Spoiler Allert) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This Spoiler contains play tips and hints that if you would rather discover in time on your own, should not be revealed, otherwise enjoy.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A couple of things occurred to me while playing the Germans. First, that as a German player I need plenty of units put in Exploit Mode however, only a Mech "Formation" can be placed in Exploit. Then it occurred to me that breaking off a couple of regimental Kempfgrouppen (or for the Allies, Battlegroups) from some of those Panzer Divisions put on front line duty, will allow for a reactionary force or Fire Brigade if you will, to react to any opponent assaults.

Btw, another minor tip is to release the vehicles from any Motorized or Mech units dug in at the front so that they may be used for the mobilization of infantry division units still moving to the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brown
England
Esher
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joey,

The Germans in our game have tried using a checkerboard defence based on layered defence with ETs in villages and artillery to smash the Allied attacks. The aim has been to use attrition to break the Brits and Canadians, and to cause the timetable to go awry. All reinforcements are used to "putty up" where necessary on both flanks. Night moves and poor(ish) weather help.

The effect is interesting. In the east the CW is struggling. Losses crossing open ground are unsustainable in the long run. Not sure how much will be left to race to the Rhine! The Americans are doing better than history - fewer German armoured units and more CRT mitigate attacking losses. Having captured Cherbourg, VII Corps artillery is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian,

Rather than WWI style multiple trench lines, try the single line backed up by exploitable KempfGrouppen and see how that works. I realize this has nothing to do with CW losses but I'm not experiencing the same loss levels you are. Perhaps the losses are reflective of WWI because the battlefield is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brown
England
Esher
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joey,

The problem is that I'm not the German!!

I have tied in nearly all the German armour, but sitting in ET2/3 with armour support makes it a tough nut to crack.

Did you play the early release option? We have and that makes it harder/fairer. The CW could not get to Caen early enough. I would like to know who thought the CW could WALK to Caen immediately after landing. Cloud cuckoo land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...that is indeed a lofty goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.