35% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am a school teacher and i teach American History and I would like to bring a couple games into my classroom but have them themed to meet the content area.

Have you done this? Even maybe just trying to re-theme a professionally designed game so you can get practice with design, you know the mechanics work but can you make them fit into a different theme which might require some modifications?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Last year, then 'moi' took a 16 "Bowling" game and turned this into a single d10-1d10-0 version. It was much faster from rolling the d10-9 along for nigh impossible with "Rolling a Perfect Game" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. Withnail
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-themed Lord of the Rings The Card Game ("Rings") for Buffy. My motivation was to create a decent Buffy game, that could be played co-op and solo. I chose Rings as the source because of its excellent rule set, large card pool to choose from, and emphasis on heroes and characters. I used the Magic Set Editor card template software to make the cards because it's easy to use, great for creating sets of cards with the same visual look, and can be customised to some degree. That locked me into the "look" of Magic cards, but that didn't bother me, since I play Magic sometimes and quite like that look. I created custom card backing images, printed off the cards and backing images on paper, and sleeved them with old Magic cards in the middle. I intended to get them more professionally printed as cards, but now that there's a Legendary Buffy game in development, I'll wait to see if that can scratch the same itch.

The re-design worked quite well, but certainly took a lot of time, even though many cards were simple transplants using the same card rule text as the original. A lot of that time went into selecting images for the cards and choice of flavour text. I didn't have to use flavour text for the cards, of course, but Buffy has a lot of flavour, so I wanted to do that, and it never occurred to me upfront that I shouldn't try to do it. But it would have saved a LOT of time. These are the kinds of things to think about for a re-theme: time investment v payoff.

In terms of design, since Rings did the design work for me, all I needed to do was make it fit the Buffyverse. Sometimes straight substitutions were all that was needed, for instance, changing "orc" to "vampire", and "dwarf" to "slayer" or "potential slayer". But it took some time of course to decide on which substitutions were going to work best and better reflect the re-themed environment. Here's an example of a pretty straightforward substitution, where the original Rain Of Arrows card from Rings became Badass Magical Attack:

The mechanics of Rings I left unchanged.

The re-theme was really interesting to do, and I learned a lot about game design, even though I was not designing the game. That surprised me. It made me realise to a much greater extent the kind of choices that designers have to make, especially how to reflect well-known/loved characters in a game in terms of their stats and abilities.

I don't know how useful this is for your situation, but wanted to share it with you and happy to elaborate on anything here. Oh, and in case you know the Rings game and Buffy, I should mention that Aragorn became Angel, Legolas became Willow, and Buffy was Gimli.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've rethemed a few.

I redid Two Rooms and a Boom in the style of the Russian Civil War because our family has ties to Russia and I wanted to explore a theme few people have. It was fun to look up characters that would be equivalents of the roles in 2R1B. I think the cards came out pretty well, too:

Link to Download ›

I've also rethemed Ra into a sci-fi card game. This was a change of components (tiles to cards) as well as theme, but fortunately it worked well as Ra is picture-based and language independent. I love the way this one looks:

More Info ›
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lallatin
United States
John Day
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a great idea for a history class. The OP could retheme "2 rooms and a Boom" to American Civil War times, bringing in the different political parties, and the abolitionists, and the railroads, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game Dungeon Roll was being Kickstarted, I wanted to try it out. But my wife absolutely detests fantasy-themed games. So I went to my printer and mocked up a copy of "80's Arcade Roll". Instead of champions, mages, and thieves, there was Pitfall Harry, Pac-Man and Mario. Instead of a dragon - Donkey Kong! Treasure was quarters, a "reset button" - which allows you to reroll dice, etc. Here's a pic.

The functions were all the same as the Dungeon Roll counterparts. As it turned out, she didn't like the game anyway. lol. But my boys and I played it until our KS copy of Dungeon Roll arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
I am a school teacher and i teach American History and I would like to bring a couple games into my classroom but have them themed to meet the content area.

Have you done this? Even maybe just trying to re-theme a professionally designed game so you can get practice with design, you know the mechanics work but can you make them fit into a different theme which might require some modifications?

Redesign and retheme
Banker, Guard or Robber?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.