Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Conan set arrived almost 72 hours ago and i'm currently on my 4th session (solo, right hand vs left)...

Despite the relatively large number of mistranslations in the rules, i am thoroughly digging this game.

The stamina allocation mechanism is fantastic, and excellently models the cinematic nature of sword-and-sorcery stories. (i'm not yet convinced that recovering only 2 stamina per turn is the "right" value, but only experience will tell for certain.)

My sincerest respect to the designer(s). Now if we can only get the documentation editors and translators to do it some justice ...

For those who enjoy pics, i have an ever-growing Conan photo album over on Google:

https://goo.gl/photos/bkNofQaFEFuDuCXS7

with, as of this writing, just over 140 pics (and a couple more queued for insertion from this morning's session).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hype for this +50% then.

I'm waitying for both this and The Others anf I tend to be more hyped for The Others, but time will tell if I was right (maybe both will be excellent and I'll be a happy chappy! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Angliss
msg tools
Good to see they've gone in for nice, sustainable packaging for everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the game is really cool. I had a chance to play it on Spiel 2016 in Essen two days ago (we baaaaarely managed to rescue the princess with our last stamina, literally, while Bêlit bravely kept the huge serpent at bay... lot's of fun). The fatigue mechanic works really well. You have to "rest" (i.e. go cautious) at certain points, of course.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My pledge will sit unopened until a proper rulebook is provided. I'm not deciphering a hodge-podge of translation errors while I play as it would likely taint my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not judging, but I'm wondering why you got 4 packages of bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
My pledge will sit unopened until a proper rulebook is provided. I'm not deciphering a hodge-podge of translation errors while I play as it would likely taint my experience.

i can respect that. To the best of my knowledge, it's not the rules, per se, which are problematic, but (A) scenario-specific rules and (B) a couple of the skills:

- At least 2 skills (Counterattack and Attack from Beyond) incorrectly use the term "unarmed" in English, which has an unintended negative side-effect on the skill (specifically, making Counterattack useful only 1 time in 6, and only against unarmored opponents (which is only the Hyenas)).

- Wall Wrecker omits the qualifier "wooden" for walls, allowing Conan to break through stone walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:

LOL! i've been asking myself the same thing since they arrived. i've verified my old order confirmation - i undoubtedly did order them. i have absolutely no idea why i ordered so many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, it's not the rules, per se, which are problematic, but (A) scenario-specific rules and (B) a couple of the skills:

Well, there is a whole thread dedicated to all of the issues and if it was just a couple of issues, they wouldn't have said that they are in the process of putting together a re-translated replacement rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, it's not the rules, per se, which are problematic, but (A) scenario-specific rules and (B) a couple of the skills:

Well, there is a whole thread dedicated to all of the issues and if it was just a couple of issues, they wouldn't have said that they are in the process of putting together a re-translated replacement rulebook.

That particular issue was, IMO, somewhat exaggerated (and i admit that i was apprehensive until i had the book in my hand and suddenly found myself wondering what all the negative fuss was about). Apparently the book is difficult to grok for someone who's had NO exposure to the game. If you followed the KS at all, or even seen a video playthrough, the book is easy to follow.

i have had zero problems with the core rules so far (currently setting up for my 5th session), but several with scenario and skill descriptions. (Correction: one minor problem with the core: rules for dropping items aren't clear enough.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Maguire
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Great images!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed great pictures and glad to see you sorted it out which miniature goes with which tile Stephan! Appreciated!

Edit: I am disappointed by the size of the dragon. I expected it to be somewhat larger than this. (Definitely not worth $33 imo.)

Quote:
The "Dragon" is the biggest model we've made for the game and presents a herculean challenge for any and group of adventurers!

Besides that I am really happy with everything else though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magallian wrote:
Indeed great pictures and glad to see you sorted it out which miniature goes with which tile Stephan! Appreciated!

My pleasure.

Magallian wrote:
Edit: I am disappointed by the size of the dragon. I expected it to be somewhat larger than this. (Definitely not worth $33 imo.)

Quote:
The "Dragon" is the biggest model we've made for the game and presents a herculean challenge for any and group of adventurers!

Besides that I am really happy with everything else though.

i think they're mistaken about the size: i think Thaug is actually bigger (but haven't measured/weighed them). The Dragon fits easily in my storage box, whereas Thaugh fits with less than 1mm to spare. Maybe the Dragon is bigger, but Thaugh is bulkier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
taraba wrote:

LOL! i've been asking myself the same thing since they arrived. i've verified my old order confirmation - i undoubtedly did order them. i have absolutely no idea why i ordered so many.

Ok. I started to get worried that I missed some reason why we needed that many. Well make a custom scenario and put them to use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.