$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 80.59

5,403 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Teddy O
msg tools
As I'm writimg this, my crew is playing haunt 93, Owl's Moving Castle. I love it, but I have a question. Spoiler warning.

When it comes to attacking the traitor owl via knowledge as a human; whats happens if the traitor rolls higher than the hero/human?

The crew decided that I'd take mental damage (which I agreed with and went with), but it seems odd to me. From a mechanics point of view, it makes sense, but in-world wise it seems... odd?

Is there anything in.the rules regarding this? I'm unable to read the rules at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Scaife
msg tools
I know what you mean about this one.A very different haunt. It was a hoot. We played it that if the hero lost the roll there was no effect.The rules say that the hero can make a knowledge attack but I read it as a knowledge roll, remembering that the traitor has the highest knowledge to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try to convince the traitor-owl that being a human is better than being an owl, you take the risk that the traitor-owl might convince you that it's better to be an owl.

(Yes, you take damage if you fail the attack.)

Thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kingsley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Re: Haunt 93 Question
So I just got the expansion and haunt 93 was our first haunt. I have played betrayal numerous times. Consequently I am very comfortable with the rules for the base game. This haunt seemed to have too many holes that I cannot figure out. A consensus from an outside source will be more convincing than my own ideas.

The game ended early because we ran into multiple stalemate scenarios even after consulting both "rule" books side-by-side. I assume since the game was play tested that other people must be reading the rules differently then we are.

Problems that we have with the haunt:

1. What keeps the owl traitor from dying in any trait? Winning conditions for the heroes only specify knowledge. What happens if the traitor takes mental damage and decides to die in sanity when both mental traits are reduced to their lowest value above the skull? Or what happens if the traitor takes physical damage and dies in speed or might?

2. What keeps the owl traitor from going to flipped tiles for sanctuary? Humans can't stand on flipped tiles (immediately become owls) and since heroes have to be humans to attack the traitor this means that the traitor can't be attacked on a flipped tile? The rules for the traitor state that "you must end your turn in a room inside the house." But are flipped tiles still in the house? The rules for the heroes state that "you [...] must end your turn on a tile in the house." Are those two statements equivalent?

We predicted a stalemate (or traitor victory) where the traitor waits on flipped tiles until the house has completely deteriorated, all heroes are at sanity 1 (from falling). The traitor can then enter the remaining un-flipped room tile where the heroes reside, persuasively hoot and then retreat to a flipped tile. Either the heroes stay owls and can't attack and can't die (from hooting) or they turn into humans and consume another explorer token. (They still have no reason to follow the traitor because they can't attack on flipped tiles.)

3. My own idea almost convinces me, but I would like external input. Room tiles are flipped and moved from where ever to the cliff side of the floor. Heroes carried to the cliff edge must now make their way back to the house. We couldn't figure out how they could travel from flipped tiles to either non-existent tiles or face-up tiles. We finally decided that flipped tiles have no windows and are not outside tiles so there is no travelling from flipped tiles to non-existent or vice versa. In addition, we assumed that heroes can move across the junction between flipped and non-flipped tiles, regardless of the non-flipped tile showing a door or wall. Without these assumptions it seemed that heroes could be trapped on flipped tiles without enough movement to make it back to the main (face-up) house.

4. With my understanding of betrayal, the traitor could take damage by losing at persuasively hooting or might attacks and the heroes could take damage by losing at knowledge or might attacks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

I don't have a resolution to #1. I stated my resolution for #3. I possibly have a resolution for #2: As already hinted, the rules may be trying to say that the traitor can't end his or her turn on a flipped tile (this also means they can't flip the tile that they are on).

I think that is everything. We are still excited about the game but disappointed by the first haunt. If this should be starting a new thread please let me know, but I thought if people had similar questions they would end up on this thread anyway.

--Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.