$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 76.52

5,196 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
32.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ship map: Mast spaces are immune to ranged fire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho the forum!

i'm playing the Hunting the Tigress scenario and just want to confirm: anyone standing on a Mast space is immune to ranged combat initiated from other spaces, correct? (One always has LOS to his own space.) The LOS dots for those spaces all overlap with the masts, and the Heroes' Book, page 6, specifically says that masts block LOS.

Just trying to confirm this before i wipe all the blood off the Tigress' deck and give this scenario another go. (The O'Lord's Archers are wiping the floor with the heroes, and his 6 reinforcement points mean they never stay dead for very long.)

On a related note: firing FROM a mast space "must" be possible, i assume, even though the space's LOS dot is in the middle of the mast. If firing from a mast space is not possible, then LOS for those spaces is just plain broken. Consider: a character using the mast as cover can certainly lean around it to fire/throw a weapon, even though his own LOS marker is in an obstacle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Remembering play testings, you can fire in a mast area or from a mast area, but not through.
LOS is blocked if the imaginary line crosses the mast itself.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
But in these maps, the line of sight icon (if that is what it is called) is *inside* the masts. So any line to the icon will automatically hit the mast-part of the board image before it hits the icon, making the mast areas safe from ranged weapons.

I just played this scenario for the first time, and that really made a difference. The heroes ended up camping out in the mast areas and just waited for round 8 to end, forcing the Overlord to keep sending figures over the railings to be picked off one by one.

So maybe I am wrong and the masts do not work that way-

It would be cool if someone from Monolith could comment on this...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthin wrote:
But in these maps, the line of sight icon (if that is what it is called) is *inside* the masts. So any line to the icon will automatically hit the mast-part of the board image before it hits the icon, making the mast areas safe from ranged weapons.

I just played this scenario for the first time, and that really made a difference. The heroes ended up camping out in the mast areas and just waited for round 8 to end, forcing the Overlord to keep sending figures over the railings to be picked off one by one.

So maybe I am wrong and the masts do not work that way-

It would be cool if someone from Monolith could comment on this...


That was the strategy i ended up taking (on my 2nd play-through): that i could fire out of the mast spaces, but not into it. We got the crossbow from one of the chests, and simply passed it from character to character, killing off all of the minions with no problem at all. It completely ruins the scenario, though, so i assume that this interpretation of LOS is wrong :/. For the time being i'm going to accept the proposition that the mast spaces themselves are not immune to ranged fire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Vreeburg
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I added the word 'THROUGH' to the rule regarding LOS. The rule reads now as follows: "To determine line of sight, trace an imaginary line from the [dot symbol] in the attacker's area to the [dot symbol] in the chosen enemy's area. If this line crosses THROUGH an obstacle shown on the board (...), the line is blocked and that area is not in the attacker's line of sight". When phrased this way the LOS rule seems to work well in the ships map, e.g. fire from and to the mast areas, but not through the masts. This edit in the LOS rule does not seems to break anything in the other maps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pietervreeburg wrote:
I added the word 'THROUGH' to the rule regarding LOS. The rule reads now as follows: "To determine line of sight, trace an imaginary line from the [dot symbol] in the attacker's area to the [dot symbol] in the chosen enemy's area. If this line crosses THROUGH an obstacle shown on the board (...), the line is blocked and that area is not in the attacker's line of sight". When phrased this way the LOS rule seems to work well in the ships map, e.g. fire from and to the mast areas, but not through the masts. This edit in the LOS rule does not seems to break anything in the other maps.


FWIW, this edit doesn't make it any clearer for me: if the LOS line goes into the mast, it's still going "through" one side of the mast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Kam
msg tools
Hi guys,

Basically, you can shoot in the mast area as long as the line of sight doesn' go entirely through the mast.
So if you are in this zone you can be shot at by the ranged units on the other opposite boat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Vreeburg
Netherlands
flag msg tools
BadKam wrote:
Hi guys,

Basically, you can shoot in the mast area as long as the line of sight doesn' go entirely through the mast.
So if you are in this zone you can be shot at by the ranged units on the other opposite boat.


Thanks for clearing this up Bad Kam. Nice to have an experienced playtester and someone from Monolith around to answer questions. Very much appreciated!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.