tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The familiar does it's turn during the hero turn/activation, either before or after the hero uses both of his actions.

So it would be

C: Hero(with familiar)/overlord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
It depends on the familiar. If the familiar has any stats such as movement or attack dice on its card then it gets its own separate activation with two actions. This has to occur either immediately before or immediately after the hero's activation.

Beastmaster player with wolf takes turn:

A)
Activate hero.
Activate wolf.

or

B)
Activate wolf.
Activate hero.

Any new summon will also get their own activation.

C)
Activate wolf.
Activate hero. Summons new wolf.
Activate wolf.

If your hero has more than one familiar they may choose how to activate as in the case of a Geomancer with multiple Summon Stones:

D)
Activate summon stone.
Activate hero.
Activate summon stone

E)
Activate summon stone
Activate summon stone
Activate hero.

F)
Activate summon stone.
Activate hero. Summon summon stone.
Activate summon stone
Activate summon stone

And so on.

Finally, all of a player's activations need to occur on that player's turn meaning you can't activate your hero, have another player play their turn, then activate your familiars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
Any new summon will also get their own activation.

C)
Activate wolf.
Activate hero. Summons new wolf.
Activate wolf.

If your hero has more than one familiar they may choose how to activate as in the case of a Geomancer with multiple Summon Stones:

D)
Activate summon stone.
Activate hero.
Activate summon stone

E)
Activate summon stone
Activate summon stone
Activate hero.

F)
Activate summon stone.
Activate hero. Summon summon stone.
Activate summon stone
Activate summon stone

And so on.

Finally, all of a player's activations need to occur on that player's turn meaning you can't activate your hero, have another player play their turn, then activate your familiars.
These are not entirely correct. A familiar can only activate once per turn. Summoning a familiar does not make it a new familiar with a new activation. Also you can't split up the activation of multiple familiars, they all activate together either before or after the hero's takes his actions.

EDIT: Found a source for my answer
MrDoctor wrote:
Q wrote:
Geomancer is (currently) the only class with a familiar group, consisting of multiple summoned stones. Do the stones act as a group when it comes to activating them, or can the Geomancer activate some stones before her/his turn and some after? I.e. does a turn look like:

1. ((All Familiars) + Geomancer) or (Geomancer + (all Familiars))

or

2. For example ((Stone1+ Stone2 ) + Geomancer + (Stone3))

If 2 is true, and the Terracall ability is exhausted from the previous turn (you can make an attack with one of your stones), could the Geomancer then activate one stone prior to her/his turn and make an attack with it, proceed to the hero activation (refresh Terracall) and exhaust Terracall again to summon a new stone, and then after the hero activation is over make an attack with the newly summoned stone?

Nathan Hajek wrote:
I would rule that all of the Summoned Stones need to be activated at the same time. If a hero has two different familiars, he could activate them at both the beginning and end of his activations, but he cannot activate the Summoned Stones at the start and end of his activations. The reason being, a necromancer cannot activate his reanimate at the start of his activation, summon a different reanimate during his turn, and then activate the reanimate again at the end of his activation; the reanimate has activated, it cannot active again. Yes, it’s a different reanimate, but it’s the same familiar. As such, a geomancer cannot activate his Summoned Stones, summon an additional stone during his activation, and then activate that stone after his activations. 

Also, please note that Terracall refreshes at the start of the heroes turn, whereas familiars activate during the Perform Actions step, so Terracall could not be used in the following round. 

Thanks for playing, 

Nathan Hajek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
That's interesting! Thanks for letting me know that Proto Persona.

I'll have a try the official way in a game, but my gut feeling is that this is one that I'll have to house rule because I'd rather have the flexibility to enable clever combos. Also, seeing as the summons in question cost an action, the only real benefit you get from the way I've been doing it are some mild improvements to familiar mobility which in my experience players rarely actually feel the need to use. It's just nice to have to let the summoner players feel awesome every once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.