Hide
6 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Think outside the box combo (I hope I played this right) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
So today I played a solo conquest with the city levels at 8 and 16. I wanted to share this odd combination of cards used at my final assault on the megapolis (and check if the play was legit) on the last night. The game went along rather slow and I did not have any real great cards for dealing with a shitload of fortified monsters who had +1 armor and poison to their normal attacks. I played Goldyx, drowning in crystals, but nothing good to spend them on. I was furiously hoping for something like tremor, wings of wind or altem mages, but the rewards I got for all my troubles were mediocre at best. I could not see any great combo's or bigger picture for my deck-building strategy, so I picked whatever AA, spell or artifact seemed best at the time.

When I drew my big hand (10 cards) before the final assault, a few cards suddenly mixed together in a way I did not see when aquiring the cards individually. Pleasantly suprised, since I went in knowing it was a sure defeat. Here it goes:

The key element of the combo was:
"Maximal effect" with red mana. I chose the stronger effect of "counterattack", and got that twice. The stronger effect of counterattack is: Attack 4. Get an additional attack 3 for each enemy blocked this turn.

- I broke my "Shield of the fallen kings" to get 3 seperate cold/fire blocks to block 3 enemies with the help of a few cards sideways.
- Blue heroes blocked an additional enemy
- Determination with Utem guardsmen to block an additional enemy.
- Ice shield (stronger effect) to block a grey token.
- I had Whirlwind to stop one white token from attacking.
- Mana thunderbolt to kill 1 white token in siege phase.

This resulted in 6 blocked enemies, giving counterattack 4 + (6x3) = attack 22. Because of maximal effect, I gained another attack 22 to get a total attack 44. This was sufficient to take out the whole garrison in one sweep.
I SURE hope this is a legal play, because I felt really great after pulling this combo I did not even know I had. Even though my deck was shitty, with low amount of attack cards, this one combination made my day.

EDIT:
Mage knight is such a wonderful game. Because of the extreme variation and randomness of the map tiles, enemies, units, spells, AA's and artifacts, you are forces to think of a new strategy every single game. There is no 'perfect strategy' (except for picking up tremor in city assault games, you should always do so), it's completely dependent on the circumstances of that particular game. Every game has it's unique combinations and I've discovered a whole bunch of strange combo's that work like a charm. A great game for the mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmb
In general, whatever you gained from Counterattack would indeed double.

superjojo222 wrote:

Mage knight is such a wonderful game. Because of the extreme variation and randomness of the map tiles, enemies, units, spells, AA's and artifacts, you are forces to think of a new strategy every single game. There is no 'perfect strategy' (except for picking up tremor in city assault games, you should always do so), it's completely dependent on the circumstances of that particular game. Every game has it's unique combinations and I've discovered a whole bunch of strange combo's that work like a charm. A great game for the mind.

Preach it brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the maximal effect + counterattack play is legit. Only possible issue is whether you remembered to group the defensive abilities of the enemies you attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
As a matter of fact, I did remember (it is a rule I tend to forget once in a while). I was lucky enough to get rid of the only monster with physical resistance in the sieged fase. So they all shared fire and ice resistance but in this case it didn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you got two influence to let the heroes help you, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
And you got two influence to let the heroes help you, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.