Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho the forum!

it's becoming apparent that we forum users (and future scenario authors) will soon need a notation for referring to Conan-style dice. This thread is an attempt to collect suggestions for such a notation.

Here is one suggestion for a notation:

The number of dice, defaulting to 1, followed by a letter representing the color, followed by a + symbol to represent a free reroll (corresponding to the "bent arrow" symbol used by the game).

Note that we will never need the ability to denote 10+ dice, so there is no "visual ambiguity" between O for Orange and 0 for the number zero. Alternately, we could use lower-case letters, where lower-case oh (o) is more visually distinct from the number zero (0).

It may be interesting to wrap such denotation in braces, e.g. {RO}, to make it more obvious that this is some sort of notation.

e.g.

{1Y}
{Y}

both mean 1 Yellow die.

{2Y} or {YY} = 2 yellow
{2O} or {OO} = 2 Orange
{2O+} = 2 Orange, both with a free reroll
{OO+} = 2 Orange, the 2nd with a free reroll
{ROY} = 1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow
{R+O+Y+} = 1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow, all with a free reroll
{ROY+} = 1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow, and only the yellow has a free reroll

etc. etc. etc.

So... for practical purposes it would be used like:

Quote:
Jumping across the marked ravine requires 2 successes on {R}.

Quote:
Opening the door requires 1 success on {Y+}.

It may be interesting to shorten "X success[es] on ..." with some notation. Suggestions are of course welcomed.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Biesiadowski
msg tools
How common it is in Conan to require successes on fixed roll? From what I see, you will very seldom (never?) mention both required successes and type of dice in same sentence. It is either

This spell has attack of {R+R+}
or
Jumping across ravine requires 2 successes in complex manipulation roll

It kind of makes sense - requiring given amount of successes on fixed roll equals saying "jumping across raving has 47.5% of chances" and we want characters to have different chances of success depending on stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abies wrote:
How common it is in Conan to require successes on fixed roll?Jumping across ravine requires 2 successes in complex manipulation roll

Only time will tell . We don't know yet :/.

abies wrote:
From what I see, you will very seldom (never?) mention both required successes and type of dice in same sentence. It is either

This spell has attack of {R+R+}
or
Jumping across ravine requires 2 successes in complex manipulation roll

i threw that in because some skills use their own dice instead of generic Manipulation (e.g. jumping = {R}, where the success count depends on the range). i don't see any which say "requires 2 successes on {RYO}", but can conceive that it's possible in custom (or upcoming) scenarios and/or add-ons.

abies wrote:
It kind of makes sense - requiring given amount of successes on fixed roll equals saying "jumping across raving has 47.5% of chances" and we want characters to have different chances of success depending on stats.

Probably 98%+ of the time, agreed. Spontaneous example: the map's roof caves in and all characters have an equal chance of a rock dropping on them: each rolls {Y}, and anyone who rolls 2 axes (1 in 6 chance) gets flattened.

i can't think of a better example at the moment :/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jumping across the marked ravine requires 2 successes on {R} :

{Jumping } = {R} >= 2

???

Quote:

{Open a door} = {Y+}>= 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmoipap wrote:
Quote:
Jumping across the marked ravine requires 2 successes on {R} :

{Jumping } = {R} >= 2

???

Quote:

{Open a door} = {Y+}>= 1

Sure, why not? Seems intuitive to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.