45.6% of Goal | left

Support:

calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi!

i'm just encountering captain horrus riptooth, and it says "before attempting each check, randomly choose another character at your location to recharge a card. the difficulty of the check to defeat Captain Horrus Riptooth is increased by that character's strenght die".

questions:

a) i have 2 characters at the location (jirelle and valeros. jirelle was who encountered the bane), then, if the first check to defeat is attempted by jirelle, the "another character" would be valeros. this is clear to me. but if the second combat check is attempted for valeros, is the "another character" jirelle? (or the "another character" is always who had not encountered the bane?)

b) for the check attempted by jirelle (the strength die of valeros is 1D10), is the difficulty increased by 10 or have i to roll a 1D10 and to increase difficulty with the outcome?

thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For b) I am very sure that it means roll the die before you assemble your dice for the check. So the difficulty will increase by 1 to 10 and you will know that before you decide which cards to play for the check.

For a) I am less sure but I would say that if you give one of the checks to Valeros, then Jirelle is the other character. Note that only Jirelle can be considered the character who defeats the bane because she actually encountered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a) you are clearly right. See the FAQ:

S&S FAQ wrote:
While you are attempting a check against such a card that you did not encounter, powers that would apply to the character who encountered it apply to you instead.

For b) I'm puzzled. I always assumed it would be 10 if the character's strength die was a d10. But now that you asked, it makes more sense to roll it. I'm surprised I don't find this mentioned on the Paizo site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have been playing on hard mode. Increase by a die means roll that die and add the result. Not sure where in the rules that is but it's just like adding a die to your check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Increased by the strength die is the same as "the difficulty of the checks to defeat is increased by 1d4" it is just a bit more variable. So, roll the die and add the result to the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.