Support:

Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I had asked this question long ago, and this scenario came up again today.

Here is what happened....

The player used a regular travel action to reach a small city that allows you to take avail the bonus of any non-used small city tile this turn...so she took advantage of the 2 dis-similar resources and got 2 resources. Also she had a representation in a city that had a card which when used by a player with a trading post (in smaller cities) can avail the benefit from smaller city bonus depending on the die roll...

1 to 4- 1 Bonus Small City benefit (you don't need to have trading post on that small city)
5 to 6 - 2 Bonus City benefit...

So the question I have is:

This person now can use 2 cities where she had trading posts in 2 small cities.

- She had 2 trading posts in 2 small cities. i that gave 5 gold coins and the other with the ! mark that allows you to take any small city bonus.....she used that to again get the 2 dissimilar resources (which she had already used this turn)...but her argument was that she used it the 1st time around playing the travel action and now because of the city card that allowed it....

Just didn't feel it was right....please clarify...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

I had asked this question long ago, and this scenario came up again today.

Here is what happened....

The player used a regular travel action to reach a small city that allows you to take avail the bonus of any non-used small city tile this turn...so she took advantage of the 2 dis-similar resources and got 2 resources. Also she had a representation in a city that had a card which when used by a player with a trading post (in smaller cities) can avail the benefit from smaller city bonus depending on the die roll...

1 to 4- 1 Bonus Small City benefit (you don't need to have trading post on that small city)
5 to 6 - 2 Bonus City benefit...

So the question I have is:

This person now can use 2 cities where she had trading posts in 2 small cities.

- She had 2 trading posts in 2 small cities. i that gave 5 gold coins and the other with the ! mark that allows you to take any small city bonus.....she used that to again get the 2 dissimilar resources (which she had already used this turn)...but her argument was that she used it the 1st time around playing the travel action and now because of the city card that allowed it....

Just didn't feel it was right....please clarify...

The uses come from distinct and separate sources, so yes, she should be able to use the 2 different resources -bonus again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The city action card allows you to only use small cities where you have a trading post. However with the small city that allows you to choose a small city bonus there is no such restriction, so it was a legal play. That usually is a very powerful small city to get because of that flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:

The uses come from distinct and separate sources, so yes, she should be able to use the 2 different resources -bonus again.

This is correct. In theory, you could trigger that ability three times in one turn (unlikely, but possible esp. if playing Wilhelm von Rubruk):

1. Land in the town to gain the 2 dissimilar resources ability, which triggers it
2. Land in the town subsequently with the "use another town" ability and choose it (a second travel action required except with Rubruk)
3. Use the big city action to use a small town ability in a place where you own a trading post

What you CANNOT do is under Step 3, choose the 2 dissimilar resources ability and the "use another town" ability to gain 4 resources, if you roll a 5 or 6.

Nothing unfair about that at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vriezen
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
[q="Shader10"]
What you CANNOT do is under Step 3, choose the 2 dissimilar resources ability and the "use another town" ability to gain 4 resources, if you roll a 5 or 6.

What disallows this? I can't find anything specifically in the rules, and the rules specifically call out the bonus tile (tile D) as well as the large city action card.

I'd interpreted it as being ok, since I'm technically choosing two separate small city tiles (the 2 resources (C) and D). I'd be a fine play if I chose a different tile with tile D's ability. Once I've chosen C and D, why should the city's action card care whether or not I pick C when resolving D's ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
browzilla wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
[q="Shader10"]

What disallows this? I can't find anything specifically in the rules, and the rules specifically call out the bonus tile (tile D) as well as the large city action card.

I'd interpreted it as being ok, since I'm technically choosing two separate small city tiles (the 2 resources (C) and D). I'd be a fine play if I chose a different tile with tile D's ability. Once I've chosen C and D, why should the city's action card care whether or not I pick C when resolving D's ability?

I don't have it handy now, but I believe this is covered in one of the supplements. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
browzilla wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
[q="Shader10"]

Yucata (&me) agrees with browzilla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.