Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heikki Harju
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It's been a year since we published M.U.L.E. The Board Game. Since then, you have played hundreds of games and provided feedback and wishes to us.

The standard rules of M.U.L.E. The Board Game were designed to be very faithful to the original M.U.L.E. computer game. While this was precisely what we wanted, some players have requested an alternate game mode which would deviate more from its paragon.

Advanced Mode aims to fill that need. It's not my intention to that it would replace the classic Tournament game, but if we were to make a reprint, it's conceivable that it would replace the Beginner mode. A Beta version of Advanced Mode rules have now been uploaded to the Files section. If you wish to provide feedback, please post it to boardgamegeek.com, under M.U.L.E. The Board Game forums.

In Summary, compared to the Tournament, the Advanced Mode aims to:
Tone down the impact of random chance and the catch-up / take-that mechanisms
Encourage more asymmetrical production setups to encourage trading between players
Increase the importance of Land Auctions by making Crystite somewhat more public

All the Advanced Mode rules fit on one page. No component changes are needed.

I hope to see some feedback from this community, either via geekmail or posted here. / shake.

Happy Prospecting!
Heikki

While waiting for the post to be approved:

Setup
E All Players start with two (2) Land for Sale! cards each.
E Setting up the Production Card deck is modified:
--- Separate the "common" Production Cards (Acid Rain Storm, Pest Attack, Sunspot Activity, Planetquake) and the "uncommon" Production Cards (Meteor Strike, Pirate Ship, Fire in The Store, Radiation) into two separate stacks. Shuffle both stacks.
--- Draw 6 cards from the "common" Production Cards stack. Show them to all players.
--- Reshuffle the 6 cards just shuffled. Replace random two of them with two random cards from the "Uncommon" stack, without looking.
--- Shuffle the stack containing 4 common cards and 2 uncommon cards.
--- Add a random "Ship is Back" card at the bottom of the deck, as usual.

Expansion Phase
E The first Land Grant is modified:
---Rank 1 Colonist: flips permanently over any 3 Lands on Irata, then claims any 1 Land.
---Rank 2 Colonist: flips permanently over any 2 Lands on Irata, then takes any 1 Land.
---Rank 3 Colonist: flips permanently over any 1 Land on Irata, then takes any 1 Land.
---Rank 4 Colonist (4-player game only): flips over no Lands, takes any 1 Land.
---In reverse order (from Rank 4 to Rank 1): take any 1 Land on Irata.

Note: Discovering Crystite when flipping Lands during the first Land Grant does not entitle the flipping Player to collect any Prospecting Award (see Development Phase below).

All Land Auctions are modified:

E Land for Sale! cards cannot be played on Turn 1. On other Turns, they may only be played at the beginning of the Expansion Phase, before Land Grant. The choice to play or not to play a card is made in descending Rank order (starting from Rank 1), max one card per Player.
E To speed up play, the Secret Bidding process is used (see the Optional Rules section of the Rulebook).

Development Phase

The Assay Any Two Lands action is modified:

[F] Assay Any 2 Lands
E When Assaying a Land that is not yours (i.e. it is on Irata or on another Player's Board), if you discover a 2-Crystite deposit, you may flip its Public Side permanently up and take $4. Likewise, if you discover a 3-Crystite deposit you may immediately flip its Public Side permanently up and take $8. This is called a Prospecting Award. Though you can take the Assay action as many times as you like and can afford, you may collect any Prospecting Award only once per Development Phase.

Production Phase

Radiation! and Pest Attack! cards
E Use the ”Effect on Game Turn 1” on these cards until all Players have five (5) or more Lands on their Player Board.

Personal Events Phase

Skip the Personal Events Phase.
E Personal Events are not used in the Advanced Mode.

Game End

Package from the Home World
E If you still possess this card at the Game End, it is worth $15.

Questions to Beta testers:

Does the first Land Grant feel balanced enough for all players?
Does the the amount of information available to players about the Production Card deck feel right, or would more information be preferred?
Are the prospecting awards about the right size to make people think whether they should take them or not?
Any broken stuff?
Is it fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. Since it hasn't been approved yet maybe you could post a little more detail here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds interesting.
I'll give it a try, although I am quite happy with the game as is. I was a big fan of the C64 game and as such am quite use to the "take that" aspect of the game. I think the game does a pretty good job capturing the electronic version.

Sounds like this might be a good version for those players that have no knowledge of the computer game. I find they are the only ones that have complaints about how the game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Harju
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Sounds interesting.
I'll give it a try, although I am quite happy with the game as is. I was a big fan of the C64 game and as such am quite use to the "take that" aspect of the game. I think the game does a pretty good job capturing the electronic version.

Sounds like this might be a good version for those players that have no knowledge of the computer game. I find they are the only ones that have complaints about how the game plays.

That's great to hear! Indeed, this isn't intended to replace the classic Tournament mode, but could replace the Beginner mode in a potential reprint. I've often found those games where someone picked a non-river plot in the beginning to be the most tense and fun ones. This Land Grant sequence encourages that behavior by potentially revealing some high Crystite plots during the first Land Grant. But if you do that, you have to buy Energy and Food from others...

Oh, if you play with three players with these rules, you might want to limit the number of available Lands like Neko suggested here, because now it starts to matter more:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1468537/fewer-land-tiles-3-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF was just approved.

During the first land auction, "flip" means "turn over and leave turned over for the rest of the game", not "inspect the other side and put it back face up" right?

Likewise, if you take a flipped tile and add it to your board, it remains flipped right?

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Harju
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
etherton wrote:
PDF was just approved.

During the first land auction, "flip" means "turn over and leave turned over for the rest of the game", not "inspect the other side and put it back face up" right?

Likewise, if you take a flipped tile and add it to your board, it remains flipped right?

-Dave

That's correct. "Flip" in this case means turning the tile permanently over. I edited that also above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.