40.8% of Goal | left

Support:

James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
been contemplating, looks like an interesting Tower Defense.
but the negativity towards it is concerning.
i saw the company put out official fixes/improvements

do they help? solo?

(( I also have the whole PANIC game series... is this much different? ))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
been contemplating, looks like an interesting Tower Defense.
but the negativity towards it is concerning.
i saw the company put out official fixes/improvements

do they help? solo?

(( I also have the whole PANIC game series... is this much different? ))

There weren't a ton of negative reviews really; one very high profile one from The Dice Tower for sure that seemed to taint opinions of the game rather severely but you just didnt hear much more about it after that. The FAQ/revised rules really addressed most of the issues with the game and I for one really enjoy this as a solo game.

Im havent played any of the Castle Panic-style games so I cant speak to that.

good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musab Abdulla
Bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the early difficulties the game had (negative Dice Tower review and missing information from the rulebook) is probably to blame for the limited publicity this game has.

Personally its one of my favorites. Ive played Star Trek Panic, but not Castle Panic. Compared with STP, this one beats it by far for me. Ironically, I feel that STP has much more random elements that B-Sieged (given that its one of the most common complaints against B-Sieged).

If you like coop tower defense and dont mind having the dice and card draws play a significant part in the easiness/difficult of any given game (similar to games like Zombicide), Id recommend giving it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I really like it after 1.1 version of rules. I have the kickstarter edition so I was on a few highs and lows -that first play thru out of the box was a real pain 3+ hours almost. After 1.1 rules we get it to the table usually every other month. Great 6 player coop and looks great on the table.
Solo wise I've only played a couple times - hardest thing for me was book keeping remember who goes and when. With a group around the table this is easier. Playing solo allows for more trial of roles or moves. The other thing to note is planning ahead so you're not stuck in a building your next character will need (only 1 hero per building).

Price wise it can be found cheap now new and probably able to score a Kickstarter copy for a reasonable price

Agree with the others so far - DT squawked about the dice rolls and then lots of other reviewers chirped the same thing dice rolls are random - however there are tokens (3 per player and can refresh them during game) to mitigate pips. Bgb buried it too after 1 game and said they would have preferred orcs and then said the theme was played out when reviewing the "orcs" expansion. There are lots of reasons to knock it as it's not perfect but it's a fun game that we've logged quite a few hours on and had some tension and laughs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmb
We love it in our house, 2 players (4 characters) works great but you do have to plan well ahead and the card draw can be annoying so we house rule it. It looks terrific, one of the best looking games in my collection. Negative would be expensive and the house keeping for spawns and end of season cards. Can be quite a long game depending on thinking time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to point it out, the one high profile review from The Dice Tower really hurt the game PR wise. The developers stated that the rulebook that shipped with the game was missing a very important set up instruction. The game was very brutal from the get-go without it.

Sam, from the Dice Tower review, states that their is a good game in the box, just not in the rules. So he had an inkling that something fun was here, just not as written. If that one set-up rule was in the printed manual, I do believe the review would have been very different.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave in !

Ordered the Base game + Encampment Tiles.

Thanks everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice.

The negative publicity was unjustified in my opinion and it hurts to see that the designers of the game feel so depressed now. This game is stellar.

I play the game the hardcore way with all the standard rules without any of the patches.

And now we win every time. In the first two games we got really crushed hard. But after a while everything clicks.

The game is fantastic and one of the worst treated games by so called "professional" reviewers.

It is not a game for fast-food mentalists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Nottingham
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
Good choice.

The negative publicity was unjustified in my opinion and it hurts to see that the designers of the game feel so depressed now. This game is stellar.

I play the game the hardcore way with all the standard rules without any of the patches.

And now we win every time. In the first two games we got really crushed hard. But after a while everything clicks.

The game is fantastic and one of the worst treated games by so called "professional" reviewers.

It is not a game for fast-food mentalists.

If you're winning every time now, that's a whole different issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed.

So we have to play with the Encampement Tile Set next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J McAnulty
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
so called "professional" reviewers.

Are you positing that Mr. Vasel is not actually paid by his viewers for his work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

I stayed away from B-sieged for too long after watching the Dice Tower review, which essentially boiled down to "Blah Blah, too hard, blah blah, too random". Yet Tom loved Castle Panic, which is just as random as B-sieged in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.