36% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In each cycle, is there one Supplementation phase, then four rounds of Work phases, then one Quarters Summary phase?

Or four rounds of Supplementation, Work and Quarters?

Or something else?

And what is a 'turn' ? Placing as many wooden colonists as desired and using all three time units?

When is a new weather card drawn? At the end of round two? Why does the board show weather, event and production symbols before rounds one and three?

Other places in which it's terribly obvious that the rules have not been well blind playtested include setup (not enough Upgrade markers, using words like Moxie Generator, Hospital etc. with no way of knowing which space on the map these refer to without page flipping or looking at the player aid and the lack of an explanation of a game sequence)

Has anyone got any replies from RedImp about their queries yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cycle goes like this:
-Supplementation phase (add oxygen, disease, hunger token to quarters)

-Work Phase:
--1st round (draw Weather and event card, produce energy, this is omitted in the very first round of the game):
---each player has 3 time units, 3 action markers (either in his supply or on board) - this is a turn
--2nd round (no cards are drawn)
---each player has 3 time units, 3 action markers (either in his supply or on board) - this is a turn
--3rd round (draw Weather and event card, produce energy)
--4th round (only if you unlock 4th colonist token - increase your population, no cards are drawn)

-Quarters Phase (in order check if there are any oxygen, medicine or food tokens left in quarters)
--if there's an oxygen token your colonist die (you will permanently have one turn less to act in chosen round)
--if there's a disease token, place one of your action markers near disease space (You will have to pay 1 time unit to get that marker back)
--if there's one or more hunger token, place one of your action markers near hunger space (You will have to pay $ to release 1 action marker)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Sebastian, that's very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elux Elux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Sebastian,
I am still confused by the manual:

a) Does it mean per turn each player has at maximum 3 time units available and can use at maximum 3 action markers?

b) Does during a round the turn order apply in-between actions? Or does the first player start with all his actions + time and finishes it before the next player does the same?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elux,
a) Correct. Each player in his turn has 3 time units and at maximum 3 action markers (unless he has DNA modification Tech, then he has 4 time units and some event cards can have effect on how much time You have at the start of Your turn).

b) Each player uses all or some of his time units in his turn, returns a Colonist token to round track, and then next player makes his actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah it took me a while as well to wrap my head around this, but I think it's more because of the originality of this mechanic than any confusion in the rules. I used to think of my action marker as what let me do actions, whereas it's the time instead.

So sometimes you can have turns where you use only one action marker and all 3 units of time for example. Also, don't forget that it always costs 1 unit of time to recall all your action markers from the board.

Quote:
b) Each player uses all or some of his time units in his turn, returns a Colonist token to round track, and then next player makes his actions.

I can't think of any situation where it makes sense to not use all your time units during your turn...am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esa Ryömä
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
Yeah it took me a while as well to wrap my head around this, but I think it's more because of the originality of this mechanic than any confusion in the rules. I used to think of my action marker as what let me do actions, whereas it's the time instead.

So sometimes you can have turns where you use only one action marker and all 3 units of time for example. Also, don't forget that it always costs 1 unit of time to recall all your action markers from the board.

It took some time for me to grasp this as well. The action markers (astronauts) and time are separate things. You can do an action only when you place an action marker to an action field, but that action can take anything from 0 to 3 time.

I also forgot the recall time payment in my first solo practice run...Made the game feel a lot easier for some reason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who are interested, I've completed my review of the rules and 160 annotations later, it's better, but there are still holes in my final analysis as I'm without a copy of the game. One of the issues that's unclear is the use of turns, rounds, and phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed if you watch videos available or were taught at Essen, rulebook seems comprehensible. However, if learning from scratch, layout of rules is ambigious in how the phases work.

Turn : A player has 3 time units to spend (4 with DNA tech). Most locations require you to place a Worker (of which you have 3). However, since you can spend 0-3 time per worker, number of workers won't usually equate to time you have left. If all workers placed, you need to spend 1 time (Recreation action) to retrieve all workers.

Round: When every player has had a turn, starting with start player, this completes a round. Start player moves to left after each round.

Cycle: Every 3 rounds make a cycle initially but if birthing occurs, players (may only be individuals in competitive mode) may have a 4th round in a cycle. Competitive game has 5 Cycles, rest of modes have 4 cycles.

Every cycle starts with Supplementation phase (add oxygen, disease, hunger token to quarters)except 1st Cycle, which only has 1 Oxygen token to add in setup.

Before 1st & 3rd rounds, there is a weather, event and energy production phase, except in 1st cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.