Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Senn
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I got my hands on RB earlier this year, I was very shocked how much I liked the game. I wasnt a fan of the 2nd edition at all. But this edition delivered such an amazing narrative experience when doing quests and challenges, and plus the combat system was pretty tactical.

It easily turned into my favorite adventuring game. And sits as champion in my collection of adventure games. Kind of forcing me to return any game I dont see as being better or different enough.

Fast forward 10 months and FFG hasnt produced any quality expansions for the game. I was expecting so much more than just more skill and shop cards or a copied scenario. Plus my solo games range up to 4 hours. Thats wayyy to long.

So I decided to try Mage Knight. I only played twice and in both times I had to keep looking at the rule book. Not an easy rulebook to use either.

Its a great game actually and I love many of the genius mechanics. I plan to keep trying it before I make a judgement call of returning it or selling off Runebound 3ed. As I do like to keep my collection thin as possible.

But I wanted to hear what you guys thought of each game. If you enjoy playing both, or maybe the expansion (for either game) helps the game shine and add more flavor. Or maybe I should give up on Runebound, as I am not sure if FFG will ever make a noteworthy expansion for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very different, but I do think that MK is much more replayable as a solo game, while Runebound does rely on expansions to stay interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Firstly, I think there will be plenty of expansions for Runebound, for some time to come. Whether or not you will find them 'noteworthy' I have no idea. I don't know what you mean by 'copied scenario' - copied from where/what? I'd actually think Ariad is the most solo-friendly scenario because it's not too easy like Margath nor too difficult like Vorakesh. I understand if you're not bothered about more skills and assets though; and I'd agree more scenarios would be my top priority as those are what limits the replay value.

Secondly, it would not surprise me (given the demand) if they produce a solo/co-op expansion for it at some point. So if you mostly play solo, it seems like it's worth holding onto for a while longer, and see if they announce anything. It's been less than a year at this point, I think. At the very least I'd wait for the first 'big' expansion and see if it interests you. Even if they don't do a co-op expansion there will surely be new boards and scenarios coming with the bigger expansions.

Thirdly, 4 hours for a solo game? wow

Are you playing with 4 heroes?! I think a solo game should only take an hour or two once you know what you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorias Silverblade
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think they are completely different games,apart from the fact that both are fantasy adventure games, they play completely different.I was and still am a great fan of Runebound 2nd ed which i still play and last year i also bought the 3rd edition.Runebound is the best at what it does, but i don't think that Mage Knight has any great similarities.Mage knight is a more complicated, puzzly experience that whants you to be fully consentrated in the game.It is a bit difficult game that has lots of rules that you have to keep in mind, even when you have some experience with the game.It is deeper and more strategic, a good challenge overall. Runebound on the other hand is an easier game that offers a more relaxed experience. Easy to understand and grasp is more like a story unfolding, with simple mechanics but at the same time very intresting too.
In the end it comes to your personal preferences as a gamer. As for me, they both fit well in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Apethandos wrote:
I think they are completely different games,apart from the fact that both are fantasy adventure games, they play completely different.I was and still am a great fan of Runebound 2nd ed which i still play and last year i also bought the 3rd edition.Runebound is the best at what it does, but i don't think that Mage Knight has any great similarities.Mage knight is a more complicated, puzzly experience that whants you to be fully consentrated in the game.It is a bit difficult game that has lots of rules that you have to keep in mind, even when you have some experience with the game.It is deeper and more strategic, a good challenge overall. Runebound on the other hand is an easier game that offers a more relaxed experience. Easy to understand and grasp is more like a story unfolding, with simple mechanics but at the same time very intresting too.
In the end it comes to your personal preferences as a gamer. As for me, they both fit well in my collection.

+1 This, Mage Knight is much more of an optimisation puzzle, where as Runebound is an adventure romp, similar to Eldritch Horror in a way.

Mage Knight is hands down the jewel of my collection but I barely get to play it because it's so complex laugh I find both fit nicely into a collection and they both do well in different areas.

I've played more Runebound than I have Mage Knight and have owned Mage Knight for almost 2 years now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is a complex puzzle that takes several hours to play, but it's also one of the greatest games ever made. Runebound 3e is a streamlined and clever adventure game that plays in half the time (or less). They're nothing alike. Runebound 3e is best for playing with a buddy or 2 and a couple hours to kill. Mage Knight is best for a solo 4 hour brain burn-fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
So when I got my hands on RB earlier this year, I was very shocked how much I liked the game. I wasnt a fan of the 2nd edition at all. But this edition delivered such an amazing narrative experience when doing quests and challenges, and plus the combat system was pretty tactical.

It easily turned into my favorite adventuring game. And sits as champion in my collection of adventure games. Kind of forcing me to return any game I dont see as being better or different enough.

Fast forward 10 months and FFG hasnt produced any quality expansions for the game. I was expecting so much more than just more skill and shop cards or a copied scenario. Plus my solo games range up to 4 hours. Thats wayyy to long.

So I decided to try Mage Knight. I only played twice and in both times I had to keep looking at the rule book. Not an easy rulebook to use either.

Its a great game actually and I love many of the genius mechanics. I plan to keep trying it before I make a judgement call of returning it or selling off Runebound 3ed. As I do like to keep my collection thin as possible.

But I wanted to hear what you guys thought of each game. If you enjoy playing both, or maybe the expansion (for either game) helps the game shine and add more flavor. Or maybe I should give up on Runebound, as I am not sure if FFG will ever make a noteworthy expansion for it.

I think both games have a place.

MK is much more "thinky" and often generates massive AP. It's best with only 1 player IMO.

RB is much more relaxing on the brain and plays very well with 1-2 players.

RB feels much more like an RPG where you get stronger equipment and obtain new unique skills, hopefully getting strong enough to take out the boss at the end. MK is more abstract in this regard because you are building a deck of cards and the skills are essentially similar to a card, just always available.

The two games go about it in different ways to achieve a similar goal.

I would say if you are only going to keep 1, RB is the way to go. Also you need to get Shadows of Malice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games belong in every fantasy fan's collection. Mage Knight is the only solo game I've ever played that feels as rich and fun as a multiplayer game experience, so it's a must-own. Runebound 3e is the only fantasy adventure game I've ever played (aside from MK) that feels like an inspired and intuitive game design first and foremost, rather than a random dice-driven attempt at approximating D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.