Subject: Evolution: The Beginning $20.00 at Target (In-Store) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tooty Bonture
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
Not available from many sellers online, I believe Target had an exclusive on this up until recently. Not a huge price difference but given it's limited availability, and the fact that this is the lowest I've seen it since it was released I thought I'd post.

Normal price: $24.99
Amazon price: $29.99

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/201248/evolution-beginni...

First time posting a hot deal, hope it's up to snuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a good deal, and it's still exclusive. The ones on Amazon are resellers buying from Target and marking it up.

Having already owned the full Evolution game I was pleasantly surprised by how well this streamlined version works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tooty Bonture
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
Glad to hear it. My son has asked me to play the original several times-- but the complexity was just too much-- I was thrilled to spot this on sale today and picked it up without hesitation! Excited to share the game with my kids : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a prototype of the game and enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up! Just picked up a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I ran out and grabbed a copy today as well. Just tried it out. It's actually not that different than regular Evolution. I do wish they had made the box about 1/3 of the size, but it's a very well-produced product for $20. I doubt I'll end up playing it 100 times, but I should definitely get my money's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Partridge
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting!

I have a hard time getting my kids to play boardgames, but after picking it up today, my 8yo daughter decided to try it with me this evening.

After crying a bit when she first lost a species, we made it through the game with her beating me by ~20 points, and laughing about having been so upset early on because we had both lost many species by the end.

Well worth the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
It would seem to me that this is basically the original card-based Evolution game (that I own and prefer) except with crappier (in my opinion) art. I like the modernist art of the original Russian version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tooty Bonture
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
Andy Mesa wrote:
It would seem to me that this is basically the original card-based Evolution game (that I own and prefer) except with crappier (in my opinion) art. I like the modernist art of the original Russian version.

I do think the original game is better. This version, like many versions that are adapted for a younger audience is simply not as surprising and deep. I would never pull this out over the original if I were playing with gamers. But I think it is a well done for what it is. It is a great option for gamers with kids! The kids can play it and the adults will have plenty of options on their turn to keep things interesting.

I give most my board games a try with my 7-year-old son, regardless of the recommended age. The original Evolution he simply could not fully grasp and was bored to tears. He fought me on even trying The Beginning. But after one play he had completely changed his mind and agreed that it was fun. He gets to make up names for all the zany creatures this game inevitably produces, he gets to eat other animals to extinction, he is learning to grasp the supply/demand of the carnivore and herbivore food sources. But the game doesn't drag on with all the fiddly details of the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.