Mi Tierra: New Era» Forums » Rules

Subject: Horse Training and Rodeo Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Does it take a worker to train a horse?

I believe the answer is no, based on no worker being mentioned in the horse training section and horse training not mentioned in the worker placement section. My wife has her doubts because the Industrial Improvements section makes a point to state that a worker is not required.

2) Must you train a horse in order to take it to the rodeo?

The only mention of training level of horses is to determine the winner of the rodeo and the level reductions for 2nd place and lower.

I assume that a horse must be at least level 1 since a second place horse is reduced to level 1.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, you need only discard a water token to train your horse.

2. There's no restriction in the rules, so why make one up? I play that all horses are welcome in the rodeo as it says that it's activated for every player that wishes to participate.

Edit: Don't mind me...see below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP:
JBMoby wrote:
1) Does it take a worker to train a horse?

I believe the answer is no, based on no worker being mentioned in the horse training section and horse training not mentioned in the worker placement section. My wife has her doubts because the Industrial Improvements section makes a point to state that a worker is not required.

2) Must you train a horse in order to take it to the rodeo?

The only mention of training level of horses is to determine the winner of the rodeo and the level reductions for 2nd place and lower.

I assume that a horse must be at least level 1 since a second place horse is reduced to level 1.

Thanks!

1) No worker required, and you do not need to discard the water unless you're training it two levels.

2) Yes it is required to be trained. On page 8 of the rulebook it says under the Horse Training section (emphasis mine).

Quote:
If you have a horse in a training stable and there is water in it, you can discard one apple card to level up your hose (this is necessary in order to compete in the rodeo).
You can instead level up your horse by two levels. To do so you must pay not only 2 apples instead of one, but you must also remove the water marker from the horse's training stable.

To the previous poster:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
1. No, you need only discard a water token to train your horse.

2. There's no restriction in the rules, so why make one up? I play that all horses are welcome in the rodeo as it says that it's activated for every player that wishes to participate.

This is not entirely correct, see above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I can't tell you how many times I read that paragraph and missed that parenthetical note.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Murr wrote:
2) Yes it is required to be trained. On page 8 of the rulebook it says under the Horse Training section (emphasis mine).

Quote:
If you have a horse in a training stable and there is water in it, you can discard one apple card to level up your hose (this is necessary in order to compete in the rodeo).
You can instead level up your horse by two levels. To do so you must pay not only 2 apples instead of one, but you must also remove the water marker from the horse's training stable.

Eh....you COULD read that as "if you don't level your horse, you won't be competitive in the rodeo", and the parenthetical is just explaining what training your horse is good for.

If there's really a restriction that horses entered into the rodeo have to be level 1 or higher, why on earth would that not be listed with the Rodeo rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
Murr wrote:

Quote:

Eh....you COULD read that as "if you don't level your horse, you won't be competitive in the rodeo", and the parenthetical is just explaining what training your horse is good for.

If there's really a restriction that horses entered into the rodeo have to be level 1 or higher, why on earth would that not be listed with the Rodeo rules?

But if level 0 horses are permitted, why is the eventuality of a level 0 second place horse not addressed, and a level 1 horse is?

That bit about dropping a horse to level one suggests to me a minimum to compete (hence my question to start with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Abudinen
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi, you need to have at least Level 1 to compete in the rodeo.

Thanks for the support

Alberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpiderOne wrote:
Hi, you need to have at least Level 1 to compete in the rodeo.

Thanks for the support

Alberto

Alberto,

Thanks for the answer and a wonderfully produced game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.