10 Posts

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: AToE Legacy mod ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fox M.

Texas
msg tools
Some friends and I just finished Pandemic: Legacy, and I got to thinking that AToE would be a prime candidate for a legacy edition. Since we're unlikely to get one, I'd love to create a print n play legacy mod for the game.

I've got some ideas, but more input will result in a better outcome, I think. I'd like to start with just the Shadowbrook board for simplicity's sake, but I'd definitely want to include cards from SW and TC.

A few thoughts I had:

-All cards will need solid-backed card protectors (a large expense, but necessary to add print n play cards to decks).

-I'd love to add in location destruction somehow. Maybe the activation of a magical item touches off the obliteration of the Abandoned Keep. Need to keep this sort of thing limited to what can be done with a plastic sheet over the existing map.

-Skill upgrades available via Town need to be either removed or nerfed. Too easy to crank up your Spirit or Cunning permanently otherwise.

-Simple rules to begin with (moving, skill tests, combat), add complexity as game continues (lingering, minion chart, hunting parties, etc).

-Redo character sheets to allow for upgrades or curses, etc.

-Permadeath for characters and Elders, make healing more necessary and add risk.

-Mystery cards are distributed throughout the decks instead of a dedicated mystery phase.

-Elders start without Secrets, and Secrets are shuffled into the four corner decks. Only one Secret per Elder (roll a d6, add to secret-less Elder with Honor closest to that number?) Secrets can't be investigated or changed, but will be revealed as the plot progresses?

-Hunting parties with Elders should be encouraged, especially if you don't know their Secret. Go into the Olde Woods with Sophie the Midwife at your peril.

-As the shadow track moves, stronger and stronger monsters and mystery cards are added to decks.

-The showdown needs to be meatier. I always feel like it's something of a letdown after all the fun of searching decks. Maybe add the villain to a deck?

I definitely want to maintain the feel of having Things Happen as you draw cards. Skill tests, upgrades, curses, combat. Maybe you'd start out investigating attacks or murders on the people of Shadowbrook by investigating each of the corner locations and trying to find the card that represents a dead body or the specific spot where an attack happened and you find a scrap of cloth or some hairs or a foot print. You gather your team back at Town Hall and compare findings to discover that it was the vampire or werewolf or bog fiend that's the culprit and then something else happens and you're off again until finally you track the villain down and have that epic showdown.

I'm going to continue to mull it over, I look forward to any ideas or opinions people have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a good idea, but I think there's some unnecessary complexity.

For locations, maybe some cards are permanently removed? Could be as simple as after a win, the players get to remove one (or D3) cards of their choice from the discard pile (encounters and items that have already been used). After a loss, remove an item with the highest bonus from discard.

Skill upgrades in town don't need to be tracked from game to game. Thematically, they are temporary bonuses (Cunning specific to the clues of the case, or Spirit from attending church service).

Lingering, minion chart, hunting parties could be added based on outcome (added earlier for wins, added later if the players are losing).

Elders definitely need permadeath. However, secrets might need to be broken into levels, with more extreme results given in later sessions.

Characters can have permadeath too, but need some rules beyond just losing a showdown (each showdown fight loss means the character starts with a wound; it can be healed during the game but always present at start; when the character has lost showdowns and accumulated wounds equal to printed wounds, character is dead).

Town cards could be "borrowed" instead of permanently bought, since they are easier to acquire than location deck cards.

I think some of your ideas are pushing too much progression into a single session. A base game of AToE has plenty of progression. To mimic a legacy game, the progression needs to be lengthened.

Another thought about legacy format: maybe the competitive game fits better than the cooperative game. Shadowbrook is permanently under siege by different monsters. Each session might "fight off" a monster temporarily. Bonuses could be limited to the winner (fewer items being permanently taken out of decks). Eventually monsters could be permanently defeated and driven from town, and at that point the most famous monster hunter would win the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 90% done with a "Legacy of Evil" variant for A Touch of Evil.

It has character growth for skills.
It has goals for the heroes to strive for.
It has permanent character and town elder death.
It has scaling difficulty depending on what happens in the legacy.
It takes place over "A Year of Shadows", with varying villains coming into play depending on how the legacy goes.
There is the possibility of added locations, as well as removal of locations.

I will be running the first game of it on October 24th. I will let people know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mb
Maybe it could be interesting to at times have two villains in the game? Their hitpoints could be half of what they normally would be for balance reasons, but whenever their effects come into play it could be double.

Like for example with the murder card, both villain effects would come into play. When rolling for the villain's sheet and you roll a 4, you'd use the effect for 4 on both sheets.

Of course it's important here to check that they dont conflict with each other which might be the case for some. One could still be the primary villain though, with all cards being played on that one that would improve them, and elders joining them.

Might also lead to very desperate situations with some team ups, and certainly would give a nice variation in enemies to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox M.

Texas
msg tools
Wonderful! I'd LOVE to hear how your game goes, and to try it myself if possible! It makes me extremely happy to hear that someone else has had the same idea (and executed it, no less)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is, there's only 9 Town Elders (including the ones from The Coast) and half of them usually get killed- would you bring them back for the next game? Or would you introduce new Elders?

As far as Legacy ideas...you could put stickers on specific corner locations that make them more dangerous, or more helpful. Like roll 1-3 for Lingering at the Windmill, or Gun Items cost 1 less Investigation. You could also make changes to the Minion charts.

Certain cards could be removed from the game permanently- if you do well remove the one that adds +1 to the Villain's Fight. If you do poorly, you lose one "Honorable Gesture" card.

Whatever you come up with I hope you share it with the rest of us monster hunters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

-creating new Town Elders to replace killed ones (add zero or one secret when they arrive)
-influence track for Town Elders across games (some like you, some hate you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Delmiglio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimacePCH wrote:
I'm 90% done with a "Legacy of Evil" variant for A Touch of Evil.

How it went?

Did you use only base game or also hero packs, something wicked & the coast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, update of my "Legacy of Evil" variant for ATOE:

We will be starting on the month of March come December 10. For both January and February, I had 6 players, and a couple times throughout the second game I had 7 players.

We finished both games with victories over the villains.

So far about 5 Heroes have decided to tackle their personal goals. Two have so far succeeded in their personal goals and found them to be nicely beneficial. One Hero failed in their personal goal and is now relegated to "backup" Hero because of them being hindered.

No Hero has managed to advance their skills by board effects on a permanent basis, but some skills have increased due to personal goal success.

All of the "experienced" Heroes are starting with more investigation because of their knowledge of the dark forces.

The "tactics" of weakening the villain before starting the showdown has proven beneficial, and in both months, more than 1 tactic was accomplished by the heroes to weaken the villain.

But things are about to get more interesting now.

So far the few Town Elders who have "died" were just seriously injured and managed to recover before fully expiring. As of the conclusion of the second month, no Hero has been lost, no Town Elder has been lost, there are a couple of "permanent" changes to the boards, and some "permanent" changes to the Heroes.

I play with all three boards, with all of the Town Elders out on the board to start the game (it is a "living" town), and with all of the Heroes available for play (from the three big boxes and the 2 hero packs). The total POTENTIAL for the game would be to fight against every Flying Frog published villain, including the 4 from their website. Entirely possible that not all of the villains are fought against, and the order of villains can change depending on results. Heroes can be advanced, keep a card they have if they win, and also die permanently if they lose and are KO'd.

I'm finding typos and small errors in my work, and are correcting them when I find them. So far playtest is pretty darn successful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Delmiglio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.