$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
27.6% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Kind of a rookie question I suppose, but I'm very new to the game.

If I'm not really much of a collector, and I'm just interested in checking out a new game, do I need to try to get the whole set?

Can I play perfectly good games with sets of common/uncommon, then sell/trade the rares and super-rares to offset the cost of the game?

To the rare cards play better? Are they more powerful or something? Or is it more for the collecting side of the hobby?

Thanks, y'all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule, the "power levels" of cards in Dice Masters is one of the best I've ever seen. You can absolutely make a very high-level competitive team with Commons/Uncommons. If you splurge on one or two Rare or Super-Rare cards, it can be even better, but there are several teams that definitely don't require that.

The rarity is mostly for the collectors aspect. Mechanically, there are some occasions where the "complexity" of the card will get higher with higher rarity - this isn't a good or bad thing necessarily, sometimes a more "complex" card can be "better", and sometimes it is just gimmicky.

In the Spider-Man set, I'd say that the two "best" cards in the entire set (the most likely to be used in competitive play) are the Common Silver Sable from the booster packs that can make a character unblockable, and the Uncommon Vulture that actually had to be errata'd to "once per turn" because otherwise it was wayyyyy too powerful. Even so, it's still one of the best blockers and can still get really big really fast.

In fact, in this set, only 1 of the 8 Super-Rares is really highly playable - Black Cat. Zombie Green Goblin is OK depending on the meta (if you face a lot of sidekick-based teams), but overall meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Cool beans. Thanks.

I may stick with just a starter/common/uncommon collection and trade the rares for something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.