Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: I play Throne Room on Archive.

Case #1: There are only 5 cards in my deck/discard pile.
a) I play Archive once, setting aside 3 cards.
b) I play Archive twice, setting aside 2 cards.

I shall receive:
a) 2 cards now, one from each set.
b) 2 cards in my next turn, again one from each set.
c) The last remaining card in 2 turns. Archive will be discarded.

Question #1: Is Throne Room discarded together with the Archive, even if the "duration" effect stopped earlier the second time? (only 1 turn) My say is "yes", since the duration effect occurred twice.

Question #2: Do I choose the first time one of the three set-aside cards for the current turn before playing Archive again? My say is "yes", since the effect has to be fully resolved.

-----

Case #2: As in case #1, but now there are only 4 cards there. Consequently, I shall receive 2 cards now and only 1 card in my next two turns.

Question #3: Is the Throne Room now discarded together with the Archive, or immediately, since there is no "duration" effect for the second play? My say is "yes" here.

Question #4: As in case #2, but there are only 3 cards now left in the deck/discard. Obviously, this question matters only if question #3 is a "no".

NB: already checked the wiki page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archive stays out as long as there are cards left to draw from its effect, and the Throne Room stays with it as long as it is out.

So: Question 1: Yes, the Throne Room stays with the Archive.

Question 2: You are correct: play the Archive once, fully resolving its effect, which includes drawing a card right then, then play it again.

Question 3: The Throne Room is discarded when the Archive is.

Your subsequent mention of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any sense to me, since you didn't phrase question 3 as a yes-or-no question.

Question 4: The Throne Room is still discarded when the Archive is. Throne Rooming the Archive was silly here, although I imagine someone could come up with a corner case where it's the right thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Picon wrote:
Question #1: Is Throne Room discarded together with the Archive, even if the "duration" effect stopped earlier the second time? (only 1 turn) My say is "yes", since the duration effect occurred twice.

Question #2: Do I choose the first time one of the three set-aside cards for the current turn before playing Archive again? My say is "yes", since the effect has to be fully resolved.

You fully resolve the first play of Archive before playing it again, so you'll take a card before knowing what the other Archive-play's cards are.

The way Durations work today - which is also the way I hope for them to continue to work - Throne stays out until the Duration goes away. For a few years there, if somehow Throne wasn't really tracking anything anymore, it went away, even if the Duration card was still out; that is no longer the ruling, we now have the simpler rulebook-matching ruling, that Throne just always stays out while the Duration card does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your feedback.

donaldx wrote:
The way Durations work today - which is also the way I hope for them to continue to work - Throne stays out until the Duration goes away. For a few years there, if somehow Throne wasn't really tracking anything anymore, it went away, even if the Duration card was still out; that is no longer the ruling, we now have the simpler rulebook-matching ruling, that Throne just always stays out while the Duration card does.
So, this applies to Tactician, I take it. Throne Room -> Tactician will cause Throne Room to stay out even if Tactician won't discard anything the second time. Nevertheless, if the +Card token is on Tactician, Throne Room does have an effect; how are we supposed to track this subtle difference, whether Throne Room has an effect or not?

Maybe one reply could be "just look if the Tactician pile has your +Card token on it". Another one could be "deal with it, like Procession -> Procession -> Hireling." Or that I am just too picky looking for corner cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Picon wrote:
Nevertheless, if the +Card token is on Tactician, Throne Room does have an effect; how are we supposed to track this subtle difference, whether Throne Room has an effect or not?

The really hardcore players get tattoos. I personally use quantum entanglement. For players on a budget, or with no room left for ink, just ask yourself: are you the kind of loser who would Throne Room a Tactician and get nothing out of it? Or are you a winner, someone who should be drawing 10 cards any minute now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Picon wrote:
Nevertheless, if the +Card token is on Tactician, Throne Room does have an effect; how are we supposed to track this subtle difference, whether Throne Room has an effect or not?

The really hardcore players get tattoos. I personally use quantum entanglement. For players on a budget, or with no room left for ink, just ask yourself: are you the kind of loser who would Throne Room a Tactician and get nothing out of it? Or are you a winner, someone who should be drawing 10 cards any minute now?

Dang it, I KNEW there was a dirty secret to how you came up with Dominion ideas. Now I know it's quantum entanglement, which you no doubt got from the aliens, who hope to distract us all with these "board and card games" so we'll be more passive when they invade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.