War of the Ring (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Anniversary Edition Board Size? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Absolutely gutted there are no copies available to pre-order; I never pulled the trigger as the last time I looked, there were loads of copies left and I just thought 'I'd do it later'! More fool me.

However, I was considering ordering the larger board & reference manuals, when I noticed the the AE board sizes are listed as 60cm by 84cm, yet the Deluxe edition board sizes are listed larger at 64cm by 88cm. I would have thought that they would have been the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
Captain here: AE has a 20% enlarged board while collector's edition have a 25% enlarged board. Captain flies away.sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Papadios wrote:
Captain here: AE has a 20% enlarged board while collector's edition have a 25% enlarged board. Captain flies away.sauron

Not sure this answers the question. The question was why the Deluxe edition is listed as a bigger size than the Anniversary edition when they are believed to be the same board.

I believe the answer will be that the AE page you are getting that from is a bit old, and it says 'approx'. So maybe at some point during production they ended up a bit bigger. The Deluxe page is more recent so I'd expect it to be more accurate (and it doesn't say 'approx', further supporting the hypothesis).

So, I think they are the same size, but the AE page is an outdated estimate while the Deluxe page should be correct. But I'm speculating to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Pedro & David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Absolutely gutted there are no copies available to pre-order; I never pulled the trigger as the last time I looked, there were loads of copies left and I just thought 'I'd do it later'! More fool me.

However, I was considering ordering the larger board & reference manuals, when I noticed the the AE board sizes are listed as 60cm by 84cm, yet the Deluxe edition board sizes are listed larger at 64cm by 88cm. I would have thought that they would have been the same?

You and me both. Was in the process of moving, and wanted to be in the bigger space before having to to cite the enormity of the game as justification for the enormity of the expense. Next time I employ the Nike method: just do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes Justin, agreed. I normally do, but just hesitated this time considering this was a mighty expense.

As they say 'he who hesitates is lost'!

Hopefully in the future, there'll be some sort of Deluxe, Deluxe edition with the base game & expansions in one buy???

Now then, what about the KS re-release of Kingdom Death...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ricking

Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:

You should contact the customer support online at Ares Games. There may be a few cancellations from the KS available. I was able to place an order for one of these last week! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Ricking, I'll give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be huge huge I tell you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, my table is roughly 5.5 feet by 3.5 feet & it takes a lot of that space up. There's not going to be a lot of spare room for all your reserved troops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lane
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ricking wrote:
Laardge11 wrote:

You should contact the customer support online at Ares Games. There may be a few cancellations from the KS available. I was able to place an order for one of these last week! Good luck!

How long did it take for them to respond to your question, was it same day or did it take a day or two? I sent an email this morning asking about any cancellations. Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 128 cm by 88 cm, same as the Collector's Edition. Source here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
tallgrant wrote:
It's 128 cm by 88 cm, same as the Collector's Edition. Source here.

Right, but to be fair that refers specifically to the Deluxe edition, not specifically the Anniversary edition.

I realise one would assume they are the same, especially since that page says "a limited edition of the Game Rules, Strategy Guide and Gameboard in a deluxe format matching the components included in the War of the Ring Second Edition Anniversary Release."

But still, that's not what the actual Anniversary Edition page states:

AE Preorder Page wrote:
two gameboards, approx. 60 x 84 cm each

Reference: http://ks.aresgames.eu/product/war-of-the-ring-2nd-edition-a...

I think the AE page is wrong now, it probably wasn't finalised at the time the page went up (hence 'approx'). But it's odd they have never corrected/updated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I e-mailed Ares games on Sunday morning & I still haven't had a reply regarding availability of the AE, so I think anyone that managed to Baggins (bag - see what I did there?) a copy, were very lucky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I visit the page it says there are 187 left.

$80 is pretty steep, but then I realized it's hardcover and a bigger board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I mean the anniversary edition itself. Some contacted Ares games last week and due to cancellations (probably because of the Deluxe edition), they managed to secure a copy, & recommended I mail Ares to enquire. I did this Sunday morning & haven't heard a thing.

Don't want to buy the Deluxe if there's a remote possibility of securing a copy of the AE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ricking

Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
I mean the anniversary edition itself. Some contacted Ares games last week and due to cancellations (probably because of the Deluxe edition), they managed to secure a copy, & recommended I mail Ares to enquire. I did this Sunday morning & haven't heard a thing.

Don't want to buy the Deluxe if there's a remote possibility of securing a copy of the AE.

I got a response in 48 hours. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lane
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Well I e-mailed Ares games on Sunday morning & I still haven't had a reply regarding availability of the AE, so I think anyone that managed to Baggins (bag - see what I did there?) a copy, were very lucky!

I sent an email to them on Monday and never heard back as well, so I contacted them through their Facebook page using chat. I was given this email address: leonardo.rina@aresgames.eu. It took him a day to get back to me, but I'm happy to say that I'm now eagerly waiting on my copy to arrive in December. I hope this helps you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Joe

Yes, Leo got in touch this morning, but I'm struggling to complete the E-Commerce form.

He's trying to rectify it as we speak...

Fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lane
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good luck Paul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Joe.

He's not come back to me yet, I guess he must have gone home for the day! I hope I don't miss out, eeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tye Copeland

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mb
Laardge11 wrote:
Thanks Joe.

He's not come back to me yet, I guess he must have gone home for the day! I hope I don't miss out, eeek.

Check your inbox, I just received an order confirmation from Leo this morning. However, I am having trouble with the checkout process because my bank card will not approve the transaction. I never shop outside of my TX zip code so they are probably perplexed as to why I am trying to make a cardboard order in Italy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check your Spam folder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiloh Christie
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I did this bc someone here mentioned to least ask and see if any cancellations were made bc of the production of the map/books combo (Deluxe pak).

Leo got back to me and now I am the proud soon to be owner of a AE WOTR game. I wonder how many are left. If you haven't done this and you want an AE- just email there may be some left!!

So I have the community here to thank for not giving up and trying.:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.